Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Next truck gas or diesel?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2011, 08:12 PM

Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts
Default Next truck gas or diesel?

Sold my '11 Lariat Screw 5.0 2wd
Loved it but I'm moving to Colorado.

For my next truck I cant decide between getting an older diesel either 2003-7 6.0L or 2000-3 7.3L. That or a '11-12 FX4. I have recently seen FX4's around here for 31k and for examples sake a 2007 F250 6.0L with 40,000 miles lifted on 38"s for the same price.
As a point to be made, I have zero experience or knowledge on diesels and can do basic maintenance on gas vehicles.

I only tow on rare occasions and haul construction debris every couple weeks. Love the look, power, gas mileage, and resale value of the SuperDuty but also cautious of how diesel has shot up to more than a dollar more than premium gas here lately. Also been reading lots of negative info about reliability of Fords 6.0L although some say it has been flawless for them.
I do love the new F150's and having a warranty is always a comfort while it lasts.

Anyone have any personal experience with these engines that can offer a recommendation? on maintenance issues? or reliability? I'm torn. Either way I'm driving a Ford...
Old 12-12-2011, 08:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Zachary, I'd be leery of a lifted truck on 38's because too many of these lifts are not done properly. I've been off-roading for most of 20 years and learned a long time ago to find a near stock vehicle and do my own mods so I know they're done right. For the same money I'd go with the FX4 and build it the way you want it. Just my opinion. Good luck with your decision.
Old 12-12-2011, 08:45 PM
Race Red '12 XLT SCrew EB

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Personally I wouldnt touch a 6.0.
Old 12-12-2011, 08:46 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

7.3, stay the H&*$ away from a 6.0
Old 12-12-2011, 08:59 PM

Received 55 Likes on 39 Posts

Get a Diesel or Ecoboost. It sounds like you want a Super Duty but don't necessary NEED one. You definitely don't want a n/a gasser in the mountains if you do any sort of towing. I plan to end up in CO in the near future as well, which was the main reason I went with the Ecoboost. The power loss at higher elevations will be far less noticeable on any turbo assisted engine.

If you aren't using a diesel for their intended use, I'd shy away from them as the cost of ownership is considerably higher. The 6.0 is a good motor if you get a good one and don't tune it. Unfortunately there are some bad ones. The internet blows this debate way out of proportion. From my experience, the 6.0 can live a long life if used as designed. i/e heavy frequent towing. I worked for a boat yard that used 7.3's and 6.0's to tow boats across the country. Both engines are capable of 300,000+ miles before a rebuild and the 6.0 is twice the motor the 7.3 is in the power and 'towing experience' department. Buying a used 6.0 is definitely a crap shoot though. Repairs are pricey, but if you have deep pockets, delete the EGR, head stud it, and it's pretty much bullet proof.
Old 12-12-2011, 09:36 PM
Milk Extraction Tech.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I might have to say get a 6.0. If you do end up getting one, be sure of the mods that are done to the truck (if any). If it is bulletproofed, awesome. If it isn't, you will need to spend some serious $$$$. Very reliable engines when bulletproofed the right way. Very capable in way of power, and kinda average fuel economy. Check out powerstrokehelp.com and powerstrokehelp on YouTube. Bill is very in depth and comprehensive. Most important videos; bulletproofing a 6.0 and cost of bulletproofing 6.0.

If you don't decide to get a 6.0, you can't go wrong with a 7.3
Old 12-13-2011, 01:00 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I traded my 08 6.4 on a 11 F150 simply becasue I didn't need a three quarter ton diesel for anything I did. If you dont need the diesel I would shy away from it. A ton of extra costs on a diesel verses gas. Diesel is 15 quarts of oil every time you change it. Expensive fuel filters. Any break could quickly cost a grand or more to fix. Like some posts above, if you go diesel make very sure you know if it was modded and how the mods were done.
Old 12-13-2011, 01:26 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I traded a 6.4 in on my 150. I couldn't keep the diesel out of the shop. Every time I needed the thing to pull my bobcat or do some work at the cabin. It was tied up in service. Owned it 18 months and it was in service for 12 weeks during those 18 months. Biggest lemon I've ever owned. If your stuck on Ford and a diesel. Don't get anything newer than a 7.3. Last bulletproof diesel Ford made, everything since has been nothing but trouble.
Old 12-13-2011, 08:28 PM

Good to know thanks guys. Yeah I've spent a week reading every word and watching all the videos on powerstrokehelp.com good stuff. After all the research I think I made up my mind.

I think that in my situation given the fact that I don't need a diesel and Ford hasn't had a proven reliable engine since the 7.3, and that each year diesel gets more expensive and they get worse mileage due to emissions....prob best to stick with gas this time around.
Old 12-13-2011, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by geabis
I traded a 6.4 in on my 150. I couldn't keep the diesel out of the shop. Every time I needed the thing to pull my bobcat or do some work at the cabin. It was tied up in service. Owned it 18 months and it was in service for 12 weeks during those 18 months. Biggest lemon I've ever owned. If your stuck on Ford and a diesel. Don't get anything newer than a 7.3. Last bulletproof diesel Ford made, everything since has been nothing but trouble.
You think it's because of the emissions requirements? Why can't they make another great diesel engine? It's been 10 years since the 7.3!

Quick Reply: Next truck gas or diesel?