Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New speakers

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2013, 05:08 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default New speakers

just got done installing four new kicker speakers, sound is a little better but was expecting more. I dont have an amp or after market stereo but they still sound weak do you guys think installing an amp to the speakers would be enough to get more kick out of them or should I install a sub also. I just want good sound to play my tunes, I dont need to rock the whole block. Rate on speakers I went from a 3 to maybe a 5 in my opinion.
Old 03-29-2013, 05:16 PM
Automotive Refinish Tech

Received 1,747 Likes on 1,135 Posts

Yup, I put kickers in my truck too. And then went to pioneer speakers after. Needed and amp in order to get them to sound good. I used the alpine power pack amp.
Old 03-29-2013, 05:19 PM

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Just an aftermarket stereo would help since they most likely would push out more watts per channel but you definitely need an amp if you want to get the most out of those speakers. My recommendation would be both and I would start with the head unit first.
Old 03-29-2013, 05:50 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

do you guys have after market stereo's and if so can I get a picture. Also does that affect the warranty.
Old 03-29-2013, 05:53 PM
Automotive Refinish Tech

I don't have an aftermarket stereo. I wanted to maintain the stock look and function. But every day I think about getting a different stereo, haha!
Old 03-29-2013, 06:36 PM

Received 1,523 Likes on 1,203 Posts

I went with speakers first and it was better but wanted more so I found a deal on a Kenwood DD hu. It was a huge improvement as it had more watts and the sound processor was way better.

I added a powered sub, sound ordinance 8bt to round out the low end.

Pretty nice overall. I will look to see if I have a pic.
Old 03-29-2013, 06:37 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I swapped out speakers in my Mountaineer several years back. I used Dynamat and speaker baffles to improve the sound quality, and I was pretty happy with the results: http://www.crutchfield.com/shopsearch/baffle.html and http://www.crutchfield.com/brands/Dynamat/. The idea is that they absorb the vibrations from the speakers better than the metal from the truck would and become resonators. The dynamat has the added benefit that it helps blocks road noise as well. Dynamat is kind of expensive and heavy (it's pretty much a 1/4in thick sheet of rubber).

Other than that a new amp and upgraded wiring would help as well. They domake amplifiers that accept speaker-level inputs so that you could continue to use the factory radio, but route the existing speaker wires to the the amp, and then new wires to the speakers. Then you get the benefits of the factory look with the aftermarket power. There is kind of a lot of wiring involved, as you're essentially doubling the number of wires. I used this technique to add a Parrot bluetooth system so that it would play over the car's audio system (this was before Sync) to the same Mountaineer, and the results were pretty good once I figured out all of the wiring harness issues (it was actually a system for an Explorer).
Old 03-29-2013, 07:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You really need an aftermarket stereo or an amp to get the full potential of your new speakers. The stock stereo's built in amp is pretty weak. There's plenty of threads on here to help get started on your own installs. I've found crutchfield a great place to get new head units because they discount the new dash plate and wiring harness. The instructions they provide for free are pretty helpful as well!
Old 03-29-2013, 07:19 PM

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

an aftermarket stereo puts out at least 50w (my Pioneer double din 7" touch screen DVD player) I couldn't sit tight with just stereo power... if you want the full surround sound... you have to go to Amps... plain and simple.

I have Hertz component 6.5" door speakers and 1" tweeters on front doors
I have Memphis audio 6.5" door speakers in rear doors
(powered by a Phx Gold 500.4 amp) it's loud
I have (2) Kicker Comp CVR 10" subs in a ported enclosure under seat (seat has lift kit) powered by a Phx Gold 1000.1 amp - and they hit pretty hard.

it all might seem like a hefty up front expense... but trust me - with daily driving and the necessity to listen to great quality music from any source... you won't regret it!

Old 03-29-2013, 07:23 PM
Automotive Refinish Tech

Originally Posted by digdeep0169
an aftermarket stereo puts out at least 50w (my Pioneer double din 7" touch screen DVD player) I couldn't sit tight with just stereo power... if you want the full surround sound... you have to go to Amps... plain and simple.

I have Hertz component 6.5" door speakers and 1" tweeters on front doors
I have Memphis audio 6.5" door speakers in rear doors
(powered by a Phx Gold 500.4 amp) it's loud
I have (2) Kicker Comp CVR 10" subs in a ported enclosure under seat (seat has lift kit) powered by a Phx Gold 1000.1 amp - and they hit pretty hard.

it all might seem like a hefty up front expense... but trust me - with daily driving and the necessity to listen to great quality music from any source... you won't regret it!

Video Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZwWYf65gHw
Which pioneer hu did you go with?

Quick Reply: New speakers