Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Pioneer Radio... no Microphone???

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2018, 07:58 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default New Pioneer Radio... no Microphone???

Hi all, I just installed the Pioneer AVH-4200 with Maestro RR and the iDatalink k150 bezel kit. I did NOT install the microphone that came with the kit, because I had assumed the factory mic would still work via the maestro??

Did I assume wrong??? or did I install something wrong?

Vehicle is a 2013 XLT SCREW with 4.3 my ford sync.

Old 09-03-2018, 09:01 PM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

Originally Posted by TechieCountryBoy
Hi all, I just installed the Pioneer AVH-4200 with Maestro RR and the iDatalink k150 bezel kit. I did NOT install the microphone that came with the kit, because I had assumed the factory mic would still work via the maestro??

Hmmm, I just put in an Alpine system with Maestro iDatalink and the factory mic works for me. Did you go to the Maestro website and program the stuff available for the radio?
Old 09-03-2018, 10:15 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a 4200 with the Maestro RR and found that if you're trying to do something with Apple CarPlay (and maybe Android Auto) you need to use the Pioneer mic thats included.
Old 09-03-2018, 10:48 PM

I'm just trying to use the traditional bluetooth calling, and mic is not working.

I'm also not getting any radio reception. There were cables plugged into the stock radio that looked like antenna cables. Only 1 fits into the antenna adapter cable I bought, but I am getting zero radio reception.
Old 09-04-2018, 10:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm just trying to use the traditional bluetooth calling, and mic is not working.

I'm also not getting any radio reception. There were cables plugged into the stock radio that looked like antenna cables. Only 1 fits into the antenna adapter cable I bought, but I am getting zero radio reception.
I have the same kit in mine with a Kenwood unit. I believe you must have sync active in the imaestro programming and connect to the sync bluetooth to use the factory mic. Otherwise if you are connected to the head unit bluetooth or usb you will need the included mic.

As far as reception, I recall there were two colored antenna wires, one for xm and one for radio. I'm going off memory, I think the yellow is the xm antenna.
Old 09-04-2018, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by edistojimbo
I have the same kit in mine with a Kenwood unit. I believe you must have sync active in the imaestro programming and connect to the sync bluetooth to use the factory mic. Otherwise if you are connected to the head unit bluetooth or usb you will need the included mic.

As far as reception, I recall there were two colored antenna wires, one for xm and one for radio. I'm going off memory, I think the yellow is the xm antenna.
Same here except with Alpine, my hu came with an internal mic but in order to get sync mic working for calls and such I had to go into the radio settings and un check the box to use built in mic. Then the oem mic started working. Same again on the antenna yellow or orange for satellite the other for radio reception.
Old 09-14-2018, 07:43 PM

Just to close out my story on this OP. The radio signal was fixed with a new EU10 adapter and a bit of tinkering with the factory end of the stock antenna cable which was a little out of alignment (Likely my fault). All Radio signals work now.

For the MIC... I have abandoned the native SYNC system and run the aftermarket wire up the A-Frame and across the headliner. It is actually clipped to the headliner right where the rearview mirror comes down and is pretty invisible unless you are looking for it. Works great and not an eyesore, so I'm happy.

If anyone cares... here are my 2 current gripes about this upgrade:
1. Pioneer does NOT support M3U playlists, or any playlists at all. This is a real problem for me since I organize all my music into desired playlists on my PC with Media monkey and then sync my playlists onto my SD card. So with EVERY other car I've had in the past 8+ years, I would just play the desired playlist. Unfortunately pioneer was too busy getting their stupid mixtrack feature to work they couldn't bother with a simple thing called playlists. BIG disappointment, and apparently this feature is also missing on other major radios. How is this possible???
2. Pressing the voice button on my steering wheel ONLY works when I am in android auto, which I rarely use. I would have much preferred for the voice button to wake up my google assistant on the phone directly. I'm not sure who to blame here but I believe it is again Pioneer. Because Maestro did such a great job with the RR Module, I would be surprised if this is an oversight on their side. What I believe is that pioneer doesn't provide for this so Maestro has nothing to send an API call to, but that's just my guess.

Thanks to those who provided suggestions on this thread. This community is great!
Old 09-14-2018, 08:09 PM

IIRC they mention on the Maestro website that their module only works if the radio supports it (meaning features) so it's a good guess Pioneer is the issue.

Quick Reply: New Pioneer Radio... no Microphone???