Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New owner 2011 f-150 limited with questions about sync and cold air intake

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2011, 05:24 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default New owner 2011 f-150 limited with questions about sync and cold air intake

Hey guys I am new here and just had a couple of questions. The sync/navi sony stereo system just does not crank up as loud as I want it to is there any way to get it to go louder? Also, has anyone done in subwoofer install's by just using the high level input and tapping the wires that are used for the factory subwoofer? Last question, what does everyone recommend for a cold air intake on these 6.2L engines? I can not seem to find a single manufacturer that is making one in chrome! Thanks for reading my long post!
Old 12-05-2011, 05:26 PM
Not Important Enough

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Welcome to the site, and congrats on the limited. Post some pics
Old 12-05-2011, 06:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tanner2
Hey guys I am new here and just had a couple of questions. The sync/navi sony stereo system just does not crank up as loud as I want it to is there any way to get it to go louder? Also, has anyone done in subwoofer install's by just using the high level input and tapping the wires that are used for the factory subwoofer? Last question, what does everyone recommend for a cold air intake on these 6.2L engines? I can not seem to find a single manufacturer that is making one in chrome! Thanks for reading my long post!
Why do you want a chrome one?

A guy at k&n told me that those are more for show and the black plastic ones are more for go.
Old 12-05-2011, 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by simpy16

A guy at k&n told me that those are more for show and the black plastic ones are more for go.
Good point I guess they both serve the same purpose. Chrome just looks better IMO. If no one makes it thats fine I just wondered if anyone had seen one or if I was just missing it.
Old 12-05-2011, 09:58 PM
Whatamember

Good point I guess they both serve the same purpose. Chrome just looks better IMO. If no one makes it thats fine I just wondered if anyone had seen one or if I was just missing it.
Chrome will heat up and defeat the purpose, no?
Old 12-05-2011, 10:25 PM
2011 Harley Davidson AWD

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Set the Speed Compensated Volume (SCV) to 7. The radio will be much louder the faster you go.
Old 12-06-2011, 01:27 PM

I wouldn't put a cold air intake in a new truck under warranty. Dealer could make a big stink if something happened in your truck. Cold airs don't really do anything but make a nice sound but to get that sound you have to be higher up in RPMs which will burn through gas. I've used cold airs on my cars before and will never use them again but these were the true cold air though(filter was behind the bumper and out of the engine bay). The sound they make is super sick and thats probably what gives you the feeling your trucks faster.
Old 12-06-2011, 01:41 PM
ETTYOCEO ®

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Welcome to the forums and LL club. I highly recommend the aFe CAI. Mine is powdercoated and matches the heads and block. I recommend Mike@5Star but I also seem to do that a lot see pictures below.

Originally Posted by simpy16

The guy at K&N was trying to sell you something. What could the plastic possibly bring that a metal could not? Both conduct heat and provide air flow.

Originally Posted by stunt66
I wouldn't put a cold air intake in a new truck under warranty. Dealer could make a big stink if something happened in your truck. Cold airs don't really do anything but make a nice sound but to get that sound you have to be higher up in RPMs which will burn through gas. I've used cold airs on my cars before and will never use them again but these were the true cold air though(filter was behind the bumper and out of the engine bay). The sound they make is super sick and thats probably what gives you the feeling your trucks faster.
OK.. All the CAI companies fix their Dynos.. Well crap I guess they got me there. It does provide a definite growl that must have been what I was feeling after install.

What my 6.2 sounds like after install:

Attached Thumbnails New owner 2011 f-150 limited with questions about sync and cold air intake-dscn1891.jpg   New owner 2011 f-150 limited with questions about sync and cold air intake-dscn1890.jpg   New owner 2011 f-150 limited with questions about sync and cold air intake-dscn1896.jpg  
Old 12-06-2011, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by cdvaight
Welcome to the forums and LL club. I highly recommend the aFe CAI. Mine is powdercoated and matches the heads and block. I recommend Mike@5Star but I also seem to do that a lot see pictures below.

The guy at K&N was trying to sell you something. What could the plastic possibly bring that a metal could not? Both conduct heat and provide air flow.

OK.. All the CAI companies fix their Dynos.. Well crap I guess they got me there. It does provide a definite growl that must have been what I was feeling after install.

What my 6.2 sounds like after install:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpMnccPLbvA
I really like that powder coated look! I will have to check that out for sure! Thanks for posting the pics! I was wanting to also ask you about your tunes. I already have the SCT x3 from my previous truck (06 F250 powerstroke) so all I would need is a couple of new tunes. What kind of hp gains did you see with tuning? Is your truck still under warranty? Was the dealer able to see any footprint of the x3 or have you had to take it in for any service?
Old 12-06-2011, 03:00 PM

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

I really like that powder coated look! I will have to check that out for sure! Thanks for posting the pics! I was wanting to also ask you about your tunes. I already have the SCT x3 from my previous truck (06 F250 powerstroke) so all I would need is a couple of new tunes. What kind of hp gains did you see with tuning? Is your truck still under warranty? Was the dealer able to see any footprint of the x3 or have you had to take it in for any service?
I also have a 5star tune with a 6.2. The tunes are great and worth every penny IMO. Personally the intake is a little loud for my taste. Mike includes a optional lid for the filter which lowers the noise a great deal but still a lot louder than stock. With out the lid it borders on being obnoxious. I ended up selling the intake and returning the intake to stock and leaving the tunes of course.
There is much debate on if a dealership can even dectect if a tune has been installed if it has been removed before taking it back. But only a good tech could answer that. Ive never had the truck on a dyno but the butt dyno says it gives it a very noticable increase in usable power, especially down low with the torque management increase which is severly detuned from the factory.

Quick Reply: New owner 2011 f-150 limited with questions about sync and cold air intake