Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NEW NOISE-Desperate Newb

Old 04-12-2017, 09:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NEW NOISE-Desperate Newb

OK ive looked at every forum and I cannot find anyone describing this noise.

Ive replaced nearly all components in the vacuum hub (IWE) system, actuator, vacuum lines, check valves, solenoid and I still have this noise.

The best way I can describe it is at very low speeds just past idle, turning, every light to moderate acceleration, accelerating from any cruising speed. It is what sounds like a scraping noise like a rotor scraping on the metal dust guard (which I have seen in the past). But it gets louder with more acceleration and is DEFEINITELY relative to rotational speed. It is only coming from the drivers side wheel well area (I believe).

The WEIRDEST thing about the noise is, when I go WOT, hard acceleration it scrapes a couple rotations and then when I hit hard enough acceleration it makes a POOF sound and then a small air leaking sound like there was a leak of air somewhere and the hole has been plugged, but the scraping sound goes away. It is at that time I can hear what sounds like a pump (but is 99% the turbos are they are spooling hard with the hard acceleration.)

I thought originally that this was partial engagement of the IWE and that the poofing sound was it finally locking into 2WD. BUT there is no clicking sound, no clunks of any kind. At that point it is so clearly a blowing air sound that it makes me second guess if the scarping i heard was air sound. I listened to the clicking rattling noises of the IWE problems (which I should have done in the first place) and my sound is nothing like it. It typically only makes the sound when the car is warmed up.

The sound GOES AWAY when I let off the gas. I will take a video tonight, but this morning I purposely moderately accelerated all the way from a stop to 60mph. And while it gets louder with rotation it almost felt like it was stuttering or misfiring, almost like spark plug blowout. I try to punch it now just to lock in whatever going WOT does because I know whatever it is it cant be good driving with it. IS IT JUST A WHEEL BEARING??????

I am going crazy and I cant find any similar noises.

Thanks
Old 04-12-2017, 09:32 AM

Also, it is a 2014 F150 Ecoboost crew, 6' lift with 35's, 64k miles. And the noise does not go away if I switch to 4x4 on the fly while it is present.
Old 04-12-2017, 01:12 PM

I was able to take a video at lunch. Of course it wouldn't do it for a while until I had it completely warmed up. this time it wouldn't get louder with acceleration, it would lock in, or whatever is happening, quicker than usual and the sound would go away. You can hear in the end of the video I go WOT and you can kind of hear what I mean by it "blowing out" and you hear the turbo spool and noise is gone. I also noticed that on moderate acceleration it would scrape and then stop when up shifting and then scrape and then stop when upshifting. mostly 3rd-5th gears. And once it was up past 2500RPM or so in each gear is when it would go away.

Almost backs up my theory that at low RPMs, the new mechanical vacuum pumps are not putting out enough to keep the hubs disengaged...

Last edited by F150miz; 04-12-2017 at 01:16 PM.
Old 04-13-2017, 01:31 PM

No ideas, can anyone hear what I'm talking about?
Old 04-29-2017, 07:33 AM

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Not much help, but have been struggling with a new rotational noise in what I assume is the front drivers side. It is a scrapping noise like once per rotation. It does not go away if brakes are applied, so i am think it is the wheel bearing but it has no play in it and I cannot hear it when wheel is off ground and I try to rotate by hand. I think my vacuum pump is going, so we will let dealer fix that under extended warranty before I start replacing wheel hubs/bearings.

Heres to a topic bump.
12 F150 eco

Search this Thread