Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2015, 11:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default New exhaust

Im wanting a new exhaust for my 2012 5.0. I've had a 4" solo and an mbrp dual. I found that the solo was too snappy for me and the mbrp was too quiet. Would you guys say a magma flow or a flow master cat back would be a good happy medium on the 5.0, I'm looking for a nice deep growl thats loud when you get on it but quiet on the highway.
Old 02-26-2015, 12:49 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by twisted69
Im wanting a new exhaust for my 2012 5.0. I've had a 4" solo and an mbrp dual. I found that the solo was too snappy for me and the mbrp was too quiet. Would you guys say a magma flow or a flow master cat back would be a good happy medium on the 5.0, I'm looking for a nice deep growl thats loud when you get on it but quiet on the highway.
I'm in the same boat as you. I want a new exhaust but I'm afraid each will be to quiet or loud. I'm not loaded so I can't afford to try multiple ones like some people on here and YouTube videos only help so much... I also want a custom job from a local shop over a pre-made kit.
I'm currently thinking of 3 a Magnaflow 14" si/do, a flowmaster super 44 si/do, or the dynomax race bullet either single or dual depending on the price. From what you said I'd think the Magnaflow would be good for you.
Old 02-26-2015, 02:29 AM
Go Broncos

I think the Flowmasters sound like crap on the Fords............

That said, why go with a full catback? You're just gonna pay twice as much because you're buying piping you don't need to replace. Just get a muffler welded into the stock piping and maybe a tip. If it's too quiet, look into a bolt on OEM resonator delete pipe.

My setup is a Magnaflow 18" SI/SO, 4" tip welded into the stock piping, all for less than $200 including install. I had no drone whatsoever until I removed the resonator, now I have a bit under 2k RPM but it's not bothersome. The only thing I would have done differently is go with a 14" Magnaflow which would have probably eliminated the need for the resonator delete.

Here's a link to the video that helped me make my decision. The guy has a 14" Magnaflow I believe. https://www.f150forum.com/f38/5-0-ma...-video-215394/
Old 02-26-2015, 02:43 PM
F150 Forum

Received 57 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by twisted69
Originally Posted by k7Gixxer
I'm in the same boat as you. I want a new exhaust but I'm afraid each will be to quiet or loud. I'm not loaded so I can't afford to try multiple ones like some people on here and YouTube videos only help so much... I also want a custom job from a local shop over a pre-made kit.
I'm currently thinking of 3 a Magnaflow 14" si/do, a flowmaster super 44 si/do, or the dynomax race bullet either single or dual depending on the price. From what you said I'd think the Magnaflow would be good for you.
Flowmaster offers 15 different series of mufflers so that our customers are able to tailor the sound of their vehicle to their specific wants, needs, and budget. If you want to make sure that you get your system set up right the first time, give our customer support line a call at (707) 544-4761. Our staff of knowledgeable technical support agents will provide you with the best possible recommendation for your truck.
Old 02-26-2015, 03:46 PM

Received 884 Likes on 672 Posts

Originally Posted by ChampWJ
I think the Flowmasters sound like crap on the Fords............

That said, why go with a full catback? You're just gonna pay twice as much because you're buying piping you don't need to replace. Just get a muffler welded into the stock piping and maybe a tip. If it's too quiet, look into a bolt on OEM resonator delete pipe.

My setup is a Magnaflow 18" SI/SO, 4" tip welded into the stock piping, all for less than $200 including install. I had no drone whatsoever until I removed the resonator, now I have a bit under 2k RPM but it's not bothersome. The only thing I would have done differently is go with a 14" Magnaflow which would have probably eliminated the need for the resonator delete.

Here's a link to the video that helped me make my decision. The guy has a 14" Magnaflow I believe. https://www.f150forum.com/f38/5-0-ma...-video-215394/
Full catbacks on aftermarket systems are often made of better steel than OEM.
Old 02-26-2015, 04:24 PM
2011 F150 XLT super crew

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

I just put a Flowmaster series 40 Delta on my buddy's stx 5.0 and it has that muscle car sound it sounds awesome. I had one on my last truck and I loved it
Old 03-01-2015, 01:21 AM
Go Broncos

Originally Posted by SteveLord
Full catbacks on aftermarket systems are often made of better steel than OEM.
I don't know enough about it to argue steel quality, but even if it's better than OEM, is it really worth paying twice as much for an exhaust system? Does it make that much difference in the performance of the exhaust? My exhaust shop didn't recommend scrapping the stock piping and I am happy I kept it. I think any performance increase from just an exhaust is negligible on a truck and that wasn't my goal, I was after a sound upgrade at an affordable cost.
Old 03-01-2015, 01:46 AM

Received 884 Likes on 672 Posts

It's worth it if you want it to last/you live in the salt belt. On top of the fact that in most cases, you get what you pay for. Borla is top notch and you almost never see a complaint from their owners.
Old 03-01-2015, 06:55 AM

Received 123 Likes on 79 Posts

Isn't OEM exhaust stainless? There are guys at work that have 05 F150's with well over 100K miles that still have rock solid OEM exhaust. I have always been amazed at how long exhaust last on vehicles now days.

Quick Reply: New exhaust