Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help led mirror mod

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2013, 09:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help led mirror mod

I have a 2011 fx4 i have the blinkers but now i want to hook my running lights to my mirrors so it does both anyone know what 2 wires i need to use ..under the hood
Old 09-26-2013, 10:49 PM

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

Not sure about which wire. I did see something cool where someone installed a resistor on the wire from the running lights and the mirror blinkers. Made the running lights slightly dimmer than the blinkers. Looked really cool at night.
Old 09-26-2013, 11:42 PM

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

I don't know how to do it the way you want, I tried to figure it out but couldn't... I instead got running lights and signal lights by using two led strips under each reflector. FYI hooking up the running lights ended up being a huge pain in the . I had to take both doors off so I could drill a hole in each of the door jambs in order to feed the wire through to power the running lights. I ran the wire up behind my dash over to the passenger kick panel and tapped into the yellow wire with a blue tracer for power. My parents were convinced I was insane tearing my truck apart out in our shop for some silly LED lights but the end result was totally worth it......

I found this thread helpful, https://www.f150forum.com/f38/mirror...eories-132547/ , though I didn't mess around with diodes or resisters, works fine the way it is.

Before and after:
Attached Thumbnails Need help led mirror mod-photo-11.jpg   Need help led mirror mod-photo-12.jpg  
Old 09-26-2013, 11:59 PM

Originally Posted by DylMyr
I don't know how to do it the way you want, I tried to figure it out but couldn't... I instead got running lights and signal lights by using two led strips under each reflector. FYI hooking up the running lights ended up being a huge pain in the . I had to take both doors off so I could drill a hole in each of the door jambs in order to feed the wire through to power the running lights. I ran the wire up behind my dash over to the passenger kick panel and tapped into the yellow wire with a blue tracer for power. My parents were convinced I was insane tearing my truck apart out in our shop for some silly LED lights but the end result was totally worth it...... I found this thread helpful, https://www.f150forum.com/f38/mirror...eories-132547/ , though I didn't mess around with diodes or resisters, works fine the way it is. Before and after:
Wow!! You went through all that?? Hats off to you bro. It looks great but damn!!
Old 09-27-2013, 12:02 AM

I put 2 led strips under my reflectors too but I didn't hook up running lights. I did puddle lamps instead.
Old 09-27-2013, 12:13 AM

Originally Posted by willisod
Wow!! You went through all that?? Hats off to you bro. It looks great but damn!!
Yup... Sat staring at my truck trying to think of another way to feed that wire through without taking the doors off but that was the only way... It's actually pretty simple to get them on and off as long as you got two people. Whenever I get the foolish idea of buying a set of tow mirrors I just flip back to that picture haha...
Old 09-27-2013, 12:41 AM

Yup... Sat staring at my truck trying to think of another way to feed that wire through without taking the doors off but that was the only way... It's actually pretty simple to get them on and off as long as you got two people. Whenever I get the foolish idea of buying a set of tow mirrors I just flip back to that picture haha...
Do whatever you feel moved to do!! Great looking truck bro... Do u have a leveling kit installed?
Old 09-27-2013, 12:48 AM

Originally Posted by willisod
Do whatever you feel moved to do!! Great looking truck bro... Do u have a leveling kit installed?
Thanks, and yes, but those are pics before my leveling kit and tires, I have some more recent shots in my profile album.

Last edited by DylMyr; 09-27-2013 at 12:50 AM.
Old 09-27-2013, 12:58 AM

Thanks, and yes, but those are pics before my leveling kit and tires, I have some more recent shots in my profile album.
Really?? I can't see that album on iPhone. I'll check it out later. I have the same rims which I really like but wish were 20's. I won't be buying new rims for this truck but maybe new tires. I definately want a leveling kit but the other half is complaining about my obsession with my truck. It's worse now that when the truck was new. Lol
Old 09-27-2013, 06:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks

Quick Reply: Need help led mirror mod