Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Navigation Update Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2014, 06:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Navigation Update Question

When we purchased our 2013 F-150 SC the ability to enter GPS coordinates was part of the navigation system. That ability was removed with a map update shortly after we purchased the truck. Now with this new navigation update, does anyone know if the ability to enter GPS coordinates has been added back to the navigation system? Thanks.
Old 10-21-2014, 06:15 PM

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Vince
When we purchased our 2013 F-150 SC the ability to enter GPS coordinates was part of the navigation system. That ability was removed with a map update shortly after we purchased the truck. Now with this new navigation update, does anyone know if the ability to enter GPS coordinates has been added back to the navigation system? Thanks.
I don't know which version it was that actually removed this feature, but I researched this quite a bit when I got my 2013. It wasn't available in the version that came with my truck (build date 12/12) or the newest version I upgraded to.

It's absolutely ridiculous that a Satellite Navigation system exists that doesn't allow lat/long coordinates.
The following users liked this post:
Vince (10-22-2014)
Old 10-21-2014, 08:36 PM

Received 221 Likes on 178 Posts

My 2013 doesn't have the capability to enter a Lat/Long either - but I'm not sure exactly why I would need it.

I suppose if you want to navigate off-road to a hunting or fishing site, you might find it convenient, but you can just slew your map to that area and touch the screen to get a target sorta circle over that point.

If it's near any roads, it will give you an address or intersection.

If it's off roads, initially the top of the Nav screen will say "unknown" for the position you have selected, but if you then push the destination or waypoint button it will display the Lat/Long for the location you selected, and you can set the point as a dest or w/p.

So....even though you can't just type in a Lat/Long, you can select any point out in the wilderness on your map and get the Lat/Long coordinates for it.

Let me say that I'm an oooolllddd user of Lat/Long coordinates for long range air navigation - long before the days of the fancy nav systems we have today. I can't think of anyplace, even off-road, that I need to enter a Lat/Long to navigate to in my truck.
The following users liked this post:
brucesears (10-21-2014)
Old 10-22-2014, 10:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

KR Kodi, I'm glad you don't need the ability to enter a GPS coordinate but that doesn't change the fact that many of us do. We shouldn't have to "work around" something as simple as entering the exact GPS coordinate. Our hobby takes us to locations in the boonies. GPS coordinates are extremely important to us. I shouldn't have to buy a stand along GPS unit when I have already paid for the built in satellite navigation system. Come on Ford. You had it before - bring it back!!!!!!
Old 10-22-2014, 10:38 AM
FX4RoadWarrior

Received 493 Likes on 352 Posts

I'm gonna check if my car's kenwood 9990hd has coordinates option (year or so ago high end model), but realistically I never expected my 2014 FX4 OEM Nav to have it... That's why I own a Garmin Montana 600 though...

I off-road, camp and geocache with my girlfriend, ALOT!

I agree with the OP though, it should be an option.
Old 10-22-2014, 11:16 AM

Received 221 Likes on 178 Posts

Aha!! If you're geocaching, you do need to go to precise locations.

However, I would suspect you can't just drive right up on top of most caches - you just need a vehicle to get into the area of the cache, then get out and navigate some distance on foot to the exact position with a hand-held device anyway.

Butt....I can see how entering a precise location in the truck's nav system might help you get to a trailhead or such so you can more easily hike to the cache.

Old 10-22-2014, 12:57 PM

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by KR Kodi
Butt....I can see how entering a precise location in the truck's nav system might help you get to a trailhead or such so you can more easily hike to the cache.
That and the current navigation addressing is finicky at best. Many many times I have entered addresses that come back from that nav as invalid.

That's before you even start running into the issues of backwoods cabin addresses (that exist and are valid) not showing up in the correct locations with any mapping system (Google Maps included). In those situations navigating to a physical location with the coordinates is the only accurate option... and it was removed.

Quick Reply: Navigation Update Question