Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nav vs non-nav models

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2011, 12:48 PM

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Nav vs non-nav models

Given the challenges Ford is having with the Nav systems, I'm now curious what sort of effort would be involved with installing an aftermarket nav radio. On the plus side, perhaps the total sound system quality would be much better. On the down side, there is some factory integration and form factor issues that I don't have my hands around yet, and it's tough to tell the dash differences from the small online shots. I've tried to capture some of the obvious differences/challenges, but I'm sure there are others I'm not thinking about:

- Dash layout is different, non-nav models have different buttons/controls, and don't have the nav screen cutout in the dash. I'm not sure if it's as simple as ordering a new dash piece for a unit with factory nav so an aftermarket screen will fit, or if there's more to it than that. If the other control buttons between the nav/non-nav models are totally different, then this probably won't work. Is it best/easier to cut/fabricate the existing dash bezel to accommodate an aftermarket nav radio screen?

- HVAC controls are different, not sure where they display if not in the nav screen

- Rear camera goes to mirror, is it difficult to re-route to an aftermarket deck, or does a new camera need to be added in order to send the signal to a larger screen?

- Can all Sync functions be integrated with an aftermarket deck?

If anyone out there has experience integrating an aftermarket nav radio in a truck that did not come with nav originally, I'd appreicate any insight into the experience.
Old 06-17-2011, 01:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

https://www.f150forum.com/f38/afterm...discuss-50098/
Old 06-17-2011, 02:49 PM
z06

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by jweidert
Given the challenges Ford is having with the Nav systems, I'm now curious what sort of effort would be involved with installing an aftermarket nav radio. On the plus side, perhaps the total sound system quality would be much better. On the down side, there is some factory integration and form factor issues that I don't have my hands around yet, and it's tough to tell the dash differences from the small online shots. I've tried to capture some of the obvious differences/challenges, but I'm sure there are others I'm not thinking about:

- Dash layout is different, non-nav models have different buttons/controls, and don't have the nav screen cutout in the dash. I'm not sure if it's as simple as ordering a new dash piece for a unit with factory nav so an aftermarket screen will fit, or if there's more to it than that. If the other control buttons between the nav/non-nav models are totally different, then this probably won't work. Is it best/easier to cut/fabricate the existing dash bezel to accommodate an aftermarket nav radio screen?

- HVAC controls are different, not sure where they display if not in the nav screen

- Rear camera goes to mirror, is it difficult to re-route to an aftermarket deck, or does a new camera need to be added in order to send the signal to a larger screen?

- Can all Sync functions be integrated with an aftermarket deck?

If anyone out there has experience integrating an aftermarket nav radio in a truck that did not come with nav originally, I'd appreicate any insight into the experience.
As you know I was in same situation as you. Canceled the Nav and truck now has Vin and scheduled built date. Really wanted the Nav but in hindsight am happy with decision. Savings paid for amp power steps, Bakflip F1 cover and Garmin Nuvi with Ecoroute. The Ecoroute plugs into OBD port and then GPS functions as guages and will read and clear codes. My be a benifit to not having built in unit that performs Hvac functions and more down the road if it malfunctions. I would talk to some auto stereo shops to find out what can be interegrated with aftermarket built in units. With all I have read I dont think many current orders are going to get built with Nav. No facts to back that up though.
Old 06-17-2011, 03:19 PM

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

From talking to an audio shop here, as long as you use an audio shop that knows what they're doing, every feature of the factory radio can be retained, including factory Sirius radio and Ford SYNC - there were a few radios that wouldn't work, and a few that would. Don't buy the radio from Best Buy, find an actual car audio shop.
Old 06-17-2011, 03:25 PM

Received 366 Likes on 284 Posts

The integrated nav system with sync is without question way better than aftermarket units, but I have seen a few threads with people talking about decent alternatives. Have seen lots of mentions of kenwood and pioneer units. Perhaps further down the road they will be able to retain all stock functionality and steering wheel buttons.
Old 06-17-2011, 03:27 PM

Received 366 Likes on 284 Posts

Originally Posted by p38fln
From talking to an audio shop here, as long as you use an audio shop that knows what they're doing, every feature of the factory radio can be retained, including factory Sirius radio and Ford SYNC - there were a few radios that wouldn't work, and a few that would. Don't buy the radio from Best Buy, find an actual car audio shop.
Every feature can be retained now? With what head units? I havent been following it closely cause I have the nav, but the posts ive seen say theyve been losing features.
Old 06-17-2011, 03:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Also, with car audio, the install is just as important as the components. This is why for audio more than just getting some type of AM/FM player in the dash, one needs to find a true professional installer.

A good professional audio shop will know what to do with a F-150. These are popular vehicles, and a good shop will know the vehicle well, especially being able to preserve SYNC, the Sirius radio, etc.

A bad install will pretty much force you to sell your pickup as parts. Especially if the electrical system gets fried.
Old 06-17-2011, 03:48 PM

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

I actually found it in an old email -
JVC KW-NT50HDT along with a SYNC adapter, Sirius adapter , SWC adapter... maybe a few other adapters lol there were LOTS of adapters.

It was something like $2,000 for the radio and all the parts (I wanted a nav-radio) so I saved the money and bought a big screen TV instead (No, the TV isn't in the truck)

Quick Reply: Nav vs non-nav models