Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My trailer brake controller adventure

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2014, 05:04 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Angry My trailer brake controller adventure

(I am trying very hard to get my blood pressure back down below aneurysm levels right now, so forgive me if I slip and say Bad Words.)

Back story: I bought a cute little 13' vintage travel trailer- yay! My truck has a trailer tow package, so I was all set...well, except for having a trailer brake controller. My little trailer has electric brakes (brand NEW brakes, mind you) so I want them to be fully functional before I take it out on the road.

So, after I bought the tt, I called my Ford dealer and talked to the service manager. He quoted me $250 to have a TBC installed (which is double the price my trailer guy wanted to install an aftermarket, but whatever- this thing would be covered under warranty and would work with my truck's system).

Well, I save up my pennies and finally had enough set aside to get the TBC installed. Yay- I'm almost ready to go camping! So, I called the service manager to set up the appointment for the install, and wanted to make doubly certain that the original price quote was still valid.

Well...the PART is $250- but now they want ANOTHER $250 to put the damn thing in!! The service manager actually told me this was an incredibly difficult install job, and that my truck might not be ready for several days. He also said that unless I had the part installed there, that it would void my warranty. Whaaaaa???

Okay, so now I'm mad AND confused, so I go do some research and find out that this is NOT freaking rocket surgery- it takes a total of maybe 20 minutes to install, and requires removing/replacing 4 screws. In fact, here's a video showing just how easy this is- and my truck isn't even as complex as the one in the video (it's a 4x2 STX):

Must...breathe...trying...not...to...burst......a. ..blood...vessel...oh, screw it-

Just how in the they can pull all this out of their *&*@! over an incredibly simple 20 minute install job that a total freaking idiot could do just blows my mind!

I found the part on Ebay for $150, shipped, and ordered it. Now, if I am so incompetent that I cannot take out FOUR FREAKING SCREWS and PLUG IN A PLUG and PUT FOUR SCREWS BACK IN then I shouldn't be allowed to drive, much less be allowed out in public without a minder!

Oh, and the difference in price between the $250 part (#BL3Z-19H332-AA) and the $150 part (#BL3Z-2C006-BC)? It's a fuse (#6E5T-14A094-BA), a relay (8L8T-14B192-AA), and a jumper harness (#9L3T-14A348-A) THAT I ALREADY HAVE BECAUSE I HAVE A TRAILER TOW PACKAGE!!! It came WITH THE TRUCK! I'm sitting here holding the parts in my hands right now!!

Sorry, guys, I had to get that out of my system before I ruptured an organ or something.

PS- here's a pre-purchase pic of my little camper, and a pic of her hooked up to my truck after getting her back from the trailer shop. She's a mid-60's (?) Comet that I'm working on. She may not look like much now, but I intend on having a LOT of fun with this little thing.
Attached Thumbnails My trailer brake controller adventure-100_0692.jpg   My trailer brake controller adventure-100_0765.jpg  
The following 3 users liked this post by KScountrygal:
130428 (09-10-2014), EricTheOracle (09-10-2014), vhilllpn (10-14-2014)
Old 09-10-2014, 05:19 PM
Wyatt

Received 163 Likes on 136 Posts

Those trailers are awesome. I.mean I see them in every campground! That's Vintage Baaaaby....looooking gooood.
Any type of camping is good camping.
As far as ..... Forest.... ("paper or plastic" at your local Ford dealership.....really?! Holly sh**....guess that would be my last trip there!
UHaul will do it cheaper and guarantee their work!
Ohhh noooo ....not the..."it will void your warranty".
Next dealer please.....
The following users liked this post:
KScountrygal (09-11-2014)
Old 09-10-2014, 05:24 PM

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Thanks for the part number for the cheaper unit. I have the extra relay as well with the two package and didn't know you could order the controller without. Cool.

I wouldn't go back to that dishonest dealer.

Nice trailer though, have fun!
Old 09-10-2014, 05:27 PM

Received 394 Likes on 361 Posts

Is your dealership out of Wichita? If so, I wouldn't trust Rusty Eck. They have tried to screw me over with that crap before. I've been going to Mel Hambleton lately since I got my truck there last December. They haven't tried to screw me yet that I know of. Ford of Augusta is a complete joke for their service department. They have had so many claims in the BBB that I'm amazed anybody still buys trucks there.

And if I remember correctly you'll have to have your truck flashed whether you put the controller in or they do. It's so your computer will recognize the device. I know there is a fee for this sometimes, I just don't think that it would be 250 worth of fee.
The following 2 users liked this post by Manuellabour247:
KScountrygal (09-11-2014), santa06 (09-11-2014)
Old 09-10-2014, 05:28 PM
F150 Vendor

Received 149 Likes on 100 Posts

Sounds like quite a frustrating ordeal with your dealer. No fun.

Just for reference, http://www.tascaparts.com/oe-ford/bl...=BL3Z*2C006*BC

-Steve

Old 09-10-2014, 05:42 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Yeah, I didn't want anyone else to get suckered into paying $100 more for redundant parts like I ALMOST did. Fact is, I think this is all some kind of little scheme Ford cooked up- because if you get the trailer tow package, you'll get this relay/harness/fuse assy BUT not a TBC. They don't seem to mention anywhere that you can buy the TBC by itself, so they gouge you by making you buy stuff you don't need.

...I don't even want to think about what the dealer tried to pull with regard to the install. (I do not look good in prison orange.)

I can't wait to hit the road with the camper next month. I'm headed out on a month-long hunting trip (yup, solo!), so hopefully I can fill some deer & turkey tags and have a great time.
Old 09-10-2014, 06:02 PM

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Nice trailer, sweet truck, great video, upsetting story with dealer. Hope all goes well with your install and hope you can find a more honest dealer.
Old 09-10-2014, 06:05 PM

Received 708 Likes on 486 Posts

I enjoyed your story
Old 09-10-2014, 06:39 PM

Received 328 Likes on 242 Posts

Sweet trailer!

I still havent read up where to put the fuses and relays in. My trailer doesnt have a battery
Old 09-10-2014, 07:01 PM
2nd Amendment Supporter!

Received 407 Likes on 304 Posts

Nice!.... & good job of not getting suckered in. NOW.... Keep in mind, you will need to go to your dealer... (maybe a different one...) and have to get your computer flashed in order for the truck to recognize it & work properly. I don't think it will work or show dash info without getting it flashed, if I'm correct & have understood this needing to be done. Most dealers will charge anywhere from $50 up to $100 for the labor charge (& 15 minute job to do it) to re flash your computer.

Quick Reply: My trailer brake controller adventure