Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My EcoBoost Timing Chain Experience

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2017, 07:54 AM

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

Default My EcoBoost Timing Chain Experience

Hey all

I ended up with a 12 EB when I bought used because I could not find an 8 in the config I wanted. Very light duty normal use and oil changes at every reminder interval.

I ended up loving the engine (besides the sound) and happily drove it from about 30k KM to just past 160k. 2 weeks ago the check engine light came on but without symptoms. Code scan showed 018, 019 off and on. Drove it a bit because I couldn't get into the shop.

Probably put a 100km on it and noticed odd boost behaviors which I attributed to timing being a bit off. Just took it easy. Had to go out of town, parked it for a week at the airport in Toronto.

On return it would barely start and run....let it warm up, limped home. First thing in the morning dropped it at the dealer knowing by then it was very sick. Would barely run. Talked to a tech at the dealer and he said it was almost certainly a stretched chain...that he had done about 200 of them...and was the guy at the dealer that had the procedure down to about 10 to 12 hours. Next morning he said he has never seen one run so poorly.

Logical or not, I knew the timing chain was a big job and that it was a trade off to leave with the dealer and a guy that has done tons of them or my local jobber who probably has done none. Went with the dealer. I was very fearful that the timing was so off that there may have been valve piston contact.

$3600 later it is running better than ever. This cost was including some discounts by the dealer.

No interference but he said it was so loose that it had likely skipped a good number of teeth. Compression was fine.

Astounding that Ford does not have special extended coverage or subsidization for something that has become a major issue.

TLDR
Major rapid stretch to point of not running. $3600 fix. Brutal for an engine that has been lightly used and well cared for.
Old 12-05-2017, 10:59 AM

Received 217 Likes on 179 Posts

How many miles did you go between oil changes?
Old 12-05-2017, 11:19 AM

Received 716 Likes on 492 Posts

If it makes you feel better I've replaced several timing chains on Mini Coopers due to chains stretching, the guides breaking, or the tensioner failing, some as early as 40,000 miles. I've seen a lot of problems on Audis and BMWs too, these 10K, 15K, and 18K oil changes are just getting these cars out of warranty, once they're out the problems pile up and when you open up the engine there's sludge and clogged oil screens everywhere.

Not saying this applies to you OP, but a lot of my customers don't like to hear that frequent maintenance is the key to longevity, if your clean amber oil turns black after running the engine for a a few minutes, you're not changing your oil often enough, but this is what I see when checking the oil level on a lot of newer vehicles.

Hopefully this new chain lasts you longer than the first, chains don't really stretch it's just wear creating extra slop in the pivots that makes them longer, run a good oil and change it often and you should be good for a while. I change my full synthetic every 6,000 miles or 6 months.
The following users liked this post:
Taggart (10-27-2019)
Old 12-05-2017, 11:20 AM
King Hater

Received 872 Likes on 653 Posts

I would also like to know driving conditions and oil change intervals. By your post I have a feeling you went 7.5-10k between changes.

Have you ever checked for fuel dilution in your oil?
Old 12-05-2017, 11:21 AM

Received 85 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Chad Walker
How many miles did you go between oil changes?
Sucks it was a pre-owned. Oil and filter I believe matter for this specific issue.
Previous owner may have just been doing a jiffy lube service.
Old 12-05-2017, 11:29 AM
King Hater

Received 872 Likes on 653 Posts

Originally Posted by diegoo.jayjay
Sucks it was a pre-owned. Oil and filter I believe matter for this specific issue.
Previous owner may have just been doing a jiffy lube service.
Yep. Oil and filter is key with this issue.

I got my truck used with 18k on it. I noticed the rattle at startup a few days after getting it. I didn't know what it was at first but drove the truck until it was time to change the oil. I took it to the dealership and got the syn blend and ford filter. Never heard the noise again.

I did have the timing chain TSB done before my warranty was up though. I mentioned to them I had heard the startup rattle and they got it done the next week.
Old 12-05-2017, 01:31 PM

Received 85 Likes on 67 Posts

I'm on egg shells. Haven't had the TSB done to my truck. Never heard the rattle and I knock on wood I never doo. Trusting my vehicle to Mobil Oil Filter and oil on 5-6000 oil changes.
Old 12-05-2017, 04:49 PM
FORD lifer

Received 246 Likes on 185 Posts

Bummer cwoodffr - my butt is still stinging from a $1900 steering rack, I can't imagine almost a $4k repair.
The following users liked this post:
Bclay (01-08-2020)
Old 12-05-2017, 07:17 PM

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

Thanks for the sympathy.....:-)

Oil changes were done always when reminder came up. I don't know what the previous owner habits were however.

No towing or hauling. Light cargo usage and passenger duty
Old 12-05-2017, 07:33 PM

Received 217 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by cwoodffr
Thanks for the sympathy.....:-)

Oil changes were done always when reminder came up. I don't know what the previous owner habits were however.

No towing or hauling. Light cargo usage and passenger duty
That may be the root of your problem. It seems part of the issue is extended oil changes. The unwritten rule is don't go past 5k miles between oil changes.

Quick Reply: My EcoBoost Timing Chain Experience