Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My axle wrap and shudder sloution!

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2012, 02:54 PM
A has been that never was

Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts

I have a 2010 XLT screw 5.5 bed and 5.4. I love my truck and 5.4. I have no intentions on trading up.

My only issue has been the usual drivetrain shudder, wheel hop, and random low speed vibrations. Example, when I drive slow through a drive through window line or the car line at my son's school I get a shudder that feels as if runs through the entire drivetrain.

From what I read in other brand truck forums, it seems that this is also common with Titans, Tundras, S10's, and numerous other rear leaf springed vehicles especially trucks. The rear suspensions on pick up trucks are expected to ride smooth, perform, and carry heavy loads. A tall order, so some side effects are expected when we try to make our rear suspensions wear many hats.

Based on my research, there are numerous home grown fixes along with pricy after market ones, such as 4 caltracs and full on Pro Comp kits.

I wanted to try these solutions starting from the cheapest and simplest and then work my way up. I will stop when the solution works or I cant afford the next step.

I will follow up soon with my first which will be the simplest and cheapest. Leaf spring clamps.
The following users liked this post:
MPETE (01-03-2013)
Old 12-30-2012, 03:12 PM
I LIKE TRUCKS

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Subscribed.. We have a 2010 f150 4x4 5.4 4 door 6.5 ft bed... I would also experimenting like you do but it's not mine yet ( my dads).. And I have no money
Old 12-30-2012, 03:13 PM

Ok, step one. Leaf spring clamps.

From what I read, its an old school trick. You simply place a spring clamp on the spring pack just before the axle. This includes the overload spring. I did this. However, I was not comfortable with clamping down on the overload spring, so I placed it in the middle of the overload spring.

I thought this one was BS at first. I could not figure out how this one would work.

I went to advanced auto parts and purchased a set of 3 inch wide leaf spring clamps for 19 bucks. I had to file down the inside of the U bolt a little bit so they can slide on easy. It took a few minutes. I didn't even need to fire up my compressor or grinder. They slid right on and I tightened them down. I still could not wrap the thought around my head on how in the heck this could work, BUT..... It did!!!

When I drove my truck, the rear end felt much much smoother! No clunk or shudder. I could not believe it. The axle wrap was very much still there though. However, the suspension feels great under normal driving conditions.

This is a great cheap mod for smoothing things out, but not for fixing wheel hop or axle wrap.

I forgot to add that my truck had no lift and stock tires and rims. I don't do any pulling or carrying of heavy loads. Its just a street muscle truck.
Attached Thumbnails My axle wrap and shudder sloution!-image-1811810799.jpg   My axle wrap and shudder sloution!-image-1178385373.jpg  
Old 12-30-2012, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by southportandford
Subscribed.. We have a 2010 f150 4x4 5.4 4 door 6.5 ft bed... I would also experimenting like you do but it's not mine yet ( my dads).. And I have no money
Thanks budd. So far the leaf spring clamps have been great! So smooth and for only 20 dollars.

Next up, I'm going do the under the front of the leaf helper spring mod that acts like a traction bar. The Tundra and Titan guys seem to swear by this cheap mod to stop wheel hop.
Old 12-30-2012, 04:13 PM

Here is another view of the spring clamp. I forgot to add that about three months ago I upgraded my rear shocks to some stiffer Bilstein units. They are nice and stiff. I was able to compress the stock shocks easily with my hands. Thats how crappy they were. The Bilstein units I installed significantly reduced the shudder issue, but did not fix it. I highly recommend a rear shock upgrade and this spring clamp mod for the shudder issues.

I used the Bilstein heavy duty shocks. They work great.
Attached Thumbnails My axle wrap and shudder sloution!-image-3057484943.jpg  
Old 12-30-2012, 04:26 PM

Received 111 Likes on 77 Posts

The leaf spring clamps will eventually bend your springs where they are clamped. The best solution I have found so far without traction bars and without any ill effects right now is this mod below. It's also cheap......

Post # 117 here https://www.f150forum.com/f38/slight...130215/index3/
Old 12-30-2012, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by 02reaper
The leaf spring clamps will eventually bend your springs where they are clamped. The best solution I have found so far without traction bars and without any ill effects right now is this mod below. It's also cheap......

Post # 117 here https://www.f150forum.com/f38/slight...130215/index3/
Great info. Are you talking about the transmission mount or the RAS?
Old 12-30-2012, 07:26 PM

Received 111 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by PRNDL
Great info. Are you talking about the transmission mount or the RAS?
Post #117....the bumpstop on top of the overload spring.
Old 12-30-2012, 10:04 PM

Hey, whoa! Thats a great idea!!! Never thought of or read about that one. Im gona try that.
Old 12-31-2012, 11:52 AM

I will add that to my list.
Attached Thumbnails My axle wrap and shudder sloution!-image-2431500471.jpg  

Quick Reply: My axle wrap and shudder sloution!