Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My 14 Supercrew T-boned at 40+ :(

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2015, 12:07 PM

Received 145 Likes on 90 Posts

Default My 14 Supercrew T-boned at 40+ :(

I got t-boned a block from my office on the way to work this week. Guy in an old beater Ram 2500 van blew the stop sign at 40+. I turned just to see him probably feet away through my passenger window. The force turned my truck 90 degrees and slid it probably 40 feet. Side curtains went off. I'm at home and in some pain but these trucks are pretty amazing. One of the officers said "if you'd been in a small car you'd be on a stretcher right now." I've been checked out a few times with the doc and she's helping me with those issues, but I'm really worried about what happens with the truck. It took me a long time to find this truck (max tow FTW!) and I put a sizeable amount of $$ down.... I have a feeling I'm either going to get a basket case "repaired" truck with a huge diminished value and forever problems, or they're going to total it and I'll be out several thousand dollars. I can't decide which is worse. But hey, no one was with me, especially my little kids!

And turn on 911 assist if you haven't already. Before I could even get my bearings there was a 911 operator speaking to me through the truck. I couldn't even find my phone in the mix of work bag/lunch bag/stuff/GLASS EVERYWHERE debris and to talk to them via the handset so just had the whole conversation via bluetooth.

"Initial" repair estimate is ~$20k. The pictures don't really show the damage well I think. The whole interior floorboard is curved upward, and several panels inside just flew off. Note the angle of the front wheel too.

The following 2 users liked this post by BStrummin:
canddmeyer (08-01-2015), f150dave2002 (08-13-2015)
Old 08-01-2015, 12:26 PM

Received 652 Likes on 290 Posts

Wow that thing stood up very well. Sorry for your truck but I feel a bit safer now as well. Glad you walked away!
Old 08-01-2015, 12:42 PM
Opinionated Blowhard

Received 165 Likes on 104 Posts

I'm glad you are ok. I would imagine that the condition of the frame will determine if they total it. Did you notice how much the side impact curtains helped? I have been curious about that. If you consider how much energy your truck absorbed, it is amazing that you were able to walk away.
Old 08-01-2015, 01:36 PM
Fake Ballin for da Gram

Received 434 Likes on 366 Posts

Glad to see you walked away in one piece. Thankfully the truck did its job and protected you from serious injury.

Buddy, finding a new truck should be the last thing on your mind. Your truck can always be replaced. I'd be more worried that you'll have some lingering back or neck injury several years from now. If it were a minor accident I wouldn't sweat it, but it might be time to lawyer up.
Old 08-01-2015, 02:01 PM
Okie Coupe

Received 209 Likes on 172 Posts

Not to highjack the thread but have some of you newer members seen this 2009 F150 that hit three(3) cows and read the story?

"I recently purchased a 2009 For F-150 and I am writing this to praise the safety features of that vehicle that saved my life. I was recently at the Texas State Fair and was looking at the new Ford vehicles because we will soon be in the market for my wife a new SUV, and I told one of the representatives my story. They told me that I should send the pictures in to someone at Ford.
On May 9th, I was driving on south Interstate 45 from Dallas to Houston at 5 in the morning. It was pitch black outside and as I came over a small hill in the road, there were 6 cattle standing across the freeway. I was traveling 65-70 miles an hour and I did not have time to react and swerve away from the cows. I hit and killed 3 of the cows. I don't remember much of the wreck, but I do remember that I walked away from it. Once the police arrived on the scene, the were sure that anyone in the vehicle was surely dead. As every new officer and helping passer by came upon us, I was asked if I had checked on the people in the vehicle. They were surprised every time that I told them that I was the only one in the vehicle. They would ask how I was even standing after the wreck. I firmly believe that God put me in an F-150 exactly one week before the accident for a reason. The truck was totaled, and looking at the damage, I can see how anyone would not believe that I walked away from the accident. I had a twisted vertebrae, dislocated ribs, a concussion, and some burns from the airbag. All of that is fixable, and the one thing that I also have is my life. If I would have been in my previous vehicle, they said I would have been decapitated. On my F-150, the hood rolled back over the windshield and shielded anything from coming through it. The frame kept the cockpit in tact and overall, this truck truly performed the safety features to the max. No-one ever thinks of hitting 3 900 lb. cows when they think of auto accidents, but your engineers and designers have put features into this truck that will save hundreds of lives, and I am sure glad they saved mine. My wife were married in March and this accident happened only 2 months after our wedding. Now we are expecting our first child, and I will only trust Ford vehicles with my wife and family in the future. I have attached a picture of the truck and I will say, the sales staff was fantastic in assisting me with getting a new 2009 F-150."

Last edited by shortride; 08-01-2015 at 02:04 PM.
Old 08-01-2015, 02:16 PM

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Damn... I feel like running outside this minute and smooching my F150 again (normally do it first thing in the morning when I see it)!

Incredible stories -- and as much as I complain about petty things like AC temps, etc., I feel very safe and fortunate to cart around my family in these trucks.

OP, very glad you were not injured. Take care.
Old 08-01-2015, 02:19 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Get a lawyer, whatever money you loose in the truck you will recoop from pain and suffering!!
The following users liked this post:
Wannafbody (08-01-2015)
Old 08-01-2015, 03:02 PM

Received 540 Likes on 449 Posts

Good to hear youre ok, dont be surprised if they total it. Id start looking.
Old 08-01-2015, 04:59 PM

Received 328 Likes on 242 Posts

Its a total loss, but who cares about the truck, you are doing OK.

Dont take the insurance companies first offer.
The following users liked this post:
Toddman38 (08-01-2015)
Old 08-01-2015, 06:14 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'd be surprised if someone have not offered you a quick settlement yet. Please don't take until you are really recovered.

FalconMan

Quick Reply: My 14 Supercrew T-boned at 40+ :(