Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mustang Cam Swap, Opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2019, 06:14 PM

Received 716 Likes on 492 Posts

Question Mustang Cam Swap, Opinions?

I'm thinking about swapping out my stock 5.0 F150 intake cams for a pair of 5.0 Mustang intake cams; and I'm just wondering if anyone else here has done the Mustang intake cam swap and what your thoughts are on the swap after doing it. Pricing out everything I'll need from Tasca, it looks like I could complete the whole job for under $350 so the cost is pretty reasonable, especially since no phaser limiters or upgraded valve springs are needed.

Shaun@AED posted a dyno graph over at svtperformance and the gains up top look great, especially considering how minimal the losses down low are. Here's the dyno sheet he posted, both runs are with his tune applied to a F150 5.0 engine, the only difference cited between the runs was the addition of the Mustang intake cams.

Old 06-15-2019, 06:32 PM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

That's all well and good if you plan to run all out on a track, but the losses down low would kill any aspect of why it's a truck. You want that low end torque/hp for towing/hauling. Not towing/hauling then by all means have at it.

Want the best of both worlds leave the cams alone and drop a supercharger on it.
The following users liked this post:
77Ranger460 (06-15-2019)
Old 06-15-2019, 10:25 PM

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

How often are you spinning your truck that high?
Old 06-15-2019, 10:31 PM

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

don't forget the intakes are different unless you are a running Mustang Gt intake so you won't get same results.
River1 (06-16-2019)
Old 06-15-2019, 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by white08gt
don't forget the intakes are different unless you are a running Mustang Gt intake so you won't get same results.
The dyno sheet I attached is of a truck engine with a cam swap being the only cited difference between the runs.

Originally Posted by Mike94ZLT1
How often are you spinning your truck that high?
I know the point you are trying to make and it would be true for most people, but for me honestly too many times to count, the coyote likes to rev and I like to hear it revving.

Originally Posted by Rnlcomp
That's all well and good if you plan to run all out on a track, but the losses down low would kill any aspect of why it's a truck. You want that low end torque/hp for towing/hauling. Not towing/hauling then by all means have at it.

Want the best of both worlds leave the cams alone and drop a supercharger on it.
I only move bulky things without much weight to them, so concerns on how the truck would drive when maxed out on payload or towing don't really apply for me, but I agree that it is something that should be taken into consideration, especially for people who regularly tow or haul heavy loads. The losses down low look minimal in the dyno graph, granted the graph doesn't show the 1000-2400RPM range, but from 3000-5000RPM there appear to be no losses. With the stock 2400-2700RPM stall torque convertor I would think I'd only ever feel the impact of the lost torque at highway cruising speeds in 5th or 6th gear.

I often think about supercharging my truck, but I'm not a fan of how a lot of the kits fit our trucks. The Roush kit literally say to beat back the firewall with a hammer to make clearance for the supercharger, my OCD can't take it. There's a right and a wrong way to do things and to supercharge my truck correctly in my mind becomes cost prohibitive. Cams for under $350 installed on the other hand seem like a bargain even if they trade maybe 15-25ft-lbs at 1500RPM for 50-60HP at 6500RPM.
Old 06-15-2019, 11:23 PM

Received 212 Likes on 174 Posts

If you take it to the track it could be worth it. You'll definitely be able to spin it to a higher rpm. I now shift at about 7550 or so at the track with mustang intake cams and boss intake. The cams showed a little torque loss down low with about 15 more peak hp.. but now it keeps that peak hp number all the way to 7500+ instead of falling off at 6800-7000 rpm. I've had some additional tuning done since the cam install and dyno and now I'm seeing about 48 maf flow #'s compared to 45 when I first had the cam install. This could/should equate to 25-30 more hp. Definitely consider billet oil pump gears and crank sprocket while you are in there. That will up the cost $300ish.
Old 06-15-2019, 11:28 PM

Originally Posted by SALEEN961
to supercharge my truck correctly in my mind becomes cost prohibitive. Cams for under $350 installed on the other hand seem like a bargain even if they trade maybe 15-25ft-lbs at 1500RPM for 50-60HP at 6500RPM.
Yeah well ya gotta pay to play, no two ways about it. I bought a truck for a reason, racing is not one of them.
77Ranger460 (06-15-2019)
Old 06-15-2019, 11:58 PM

Yeah well ya gotta pay to play, no two ways about it. I bought a truck for a reason, racing is not one of them.
I totally understand and agree, if I supercharge my truck I will do it correctly and not just slap a blower on a stock engine and hope for the best, I've priced it out in the past and to do it properly I'm looking at roughly $12,000 and I'm just not sure I value it that much, for that much money I could buy a lot of other cool things. The nice thing is that if I do ever supercharge it, I would think that a set of Mustang cams would be a great complementary modification.

I bought my truck to get a good 4WD system and good ground clearance for heavy snow and clearing obstacles off-road because my Mustang sucked off-road and in the snow lol.

Originally Posted by blue5.0
If you take it to the track it could be worth it. You'll definitely be able to spin it to a higher rpm. I now shift at about 7550 or so at the track with mustang intake cams and boss intake. The cams showed a little torque loss down low with about 15 more peak hp.. but now it keeps that peak hp number all the way to 7500+ instead of falling off at 6800-7000 rpm. I've had some additional tuning done since the cam install and dyno and now I'm seeing about 48 maf flow #'s compared to 45 when I first had the cam install. This could/should equate to 25-30 more hp. Definitely consider billet oil pump gears and crank sprocket while you are in there. That will up the cost $300ish.
Billet oil pump gears are not a bad idea, I was even considering adding in a higher volume Mustang oil pump while I'm in there, the crank sprocket is also a good idea, especially if I ever add boost because at that point I'll need it.

After installing your cams did you feel much of a difference in low RPM torque or high RPM horsepower, or were the gains/losses only really evident on a dyno or in how far you rev out a gear? The graph I posted only shows a peak to peak gain of 38HP, but I would think the 50-60HP gain at 6500RPM would feel very different. Would you add Mustang cams again, or would you spend the money elsewhere?
Old 06-16-2019, 12:17 AM

Originally Posted by SALEEN961
I totally understand and agree, if I supercharge my truck I will do it correctly and not just slap a blower on a stock engine and hope for the best, I've priced it out in the past and to do it properly I'm looking at roughly $12,000 and I'm just not sure I value it that much, for that much money I could buy a lot of other cool things. The nice thing is that if I do ever supercharge it, I would think that a set of Mustang cams would be a great complementary modification.

I bought my truck to get a good 4WD system and good ground clearance for heavy snow and clearing obstacles off-road because my Mustang sucked off-road and in the snow lol.

Billet oil pump gears are not a bad idea, I was even considering adding in a higher volume Mustang oil pump while I'm in there, the crank sprocket is also a good idea, especially if I ever add boost because at that point I'll need it.

After installing your cams did you feel much of a difference in low RPM torque or high RPM horsepower, or were the gains/losses only really evident on a dyno or in how far you rev out a gear? The graph I posted only shows a peak to peak gain of 38HP, but I would think the 50-60HP gain at 6500RPM would feel very different. Would you add Mustang cams again, or would you spend the money elsewhere?
You bought a truck for all the right reasons, turning it into a track rod takes on an entirely different set of circumstances. It's like buying rice paper and expecting to use it as a doormat.

I had the same aspirations as a youngun with my tricked out 70 El Camino 7 lifetimes ago it seems. Perhaps you should seek guidance from Buckaroo Bonzai. He has one helluva F150 or was it a 250? Dunno but it cuts thru mountains and dimensions.

Maybe you can attain plans for his overthruster?

Last edited by RLXXI; 06-16-2019 at 12:23 AM.
Old 06-16-2019, 12:29 AM

You bought a truck for all the right reasons, turning it into a track rod takes on an entirely different set of circumstances. It's like buying rice paper and expecting to use it as a doormat.

I had the same aspirations as a youngun with my tricked out 70 El Camino 7 lifetimes ago it seems. Perhaps you should seek guidance from Buckaroo Bonzai. He has one helluva F150!!! Cuts thru mountains and dimensions.

Maybe you can attain plans for his overthruster?
Lol I have no idea what you just had me watch.
EDIT: Ok the new video I understand, that's exactly what I want lol

I don't expect my truck to handle like a Mustang and I have no plans to attempt to make corner like one.

Improved straight line performance on the other hand seems like a reasonable enough goal, I don't tow or haul anything heavy enough to put the factory brakes to good use, and I have to find a way to use them to their full potential otherwise I'm not getting my money's worth.

Last edited by SALEEN961; 06-16-2019 at 12:35 AM.

Quick Reply: Mustang Cam Swap, Opinions?