Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Multiple " check" warning indicators then dash goes dead.

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2016, 08:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Exclamation Multiple " check" warning indicators then dash goes dead.

Hi all, I'm new here. Hoping to get some help on an electrical issue.

I have a 2011 FX2 Sport with the 5.0L V8 it has 58,500 miles on it.

A few days ago after starting up the truck I got a warning on the dash display "Check Battery". I cleared the warning and checked the battery connections after getting home. Everything looked good. The battery indicator eye was black so I figured I would just need a new battery and let it go a couple of days. The same warning popped up each time I ran the truck over the last few days but no other issues.

Today as I was driving down I-94 I got a bunch of "check" warnings in a row (battery, brakes, traction control, etc) and then my dash went dead. No gauges, no turn signals, no radio. After a moment of shear panic the dash came back to life only to go through repeating this cycle dozens of times before I could get the truck back home. [The truck ran and drove just fine].

I replaced the battery thinking that that was the issue only to have the problem come right back.

Is this something anyone has experienced before?

Any advice is appreciated as I am hoping not to spend a fortune at the dealership if I can avoid it. Please spell out any acronyms if you would at first, I'm not familiar with all the new controls on the newer tucks.

Thanks in advance.

CBR Jackson, MI.
Old 08-22-2016, 02:16 PM

Received 217 Likes on 179 Posts

Alternator issue maybe? What voltage are you getting when the truck is running?
Old 08-25-2016, 10:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Chad, thanks for the reply. By the time I read your message I had already taken the truck to the local dealership. I did not want to risk driving it with this issue.

I just heard from the dealer a few minutes ago (took 3 days for them to look at it). Seems the system is overcharging and they suspect that there is a short in the harness down by the engine compressor. So far the estimate is around $300.00 to open the loom and investigate. Hopfully its as simple as a chafed wire and it can be fixed without replacing part of the harness.

More info later when I see the results.

Quick Reply: Multiple " check" warning indicators then dash goes dead.