Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MPT SCT X4 Issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2017, 01:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MPT SCT X4 Issue

Hi all, I'm new to this forum thread. I purchased a 2010 F-150 with the 3V Triton 5.4L about a year ago. Soon after I got the truck I bought a SCT X4 tuner and downloaded it with custom tunes from MPT. The tunes I've been running are 93 octane performance ECU with street TCU. I've been noticing some extremely abnormal activity ever since I had some valve train work done to my vehicle (replaced cam, hydraulic lifters, etc.). I wouldn't really consider associate the valve train repair to conflict with computer interruptions but my truck has experienced multiple failures like: 1) truck will be running perfectly fine, then I will shut it down say to pump fuel and when I attempt to crank it back over my truck doesn't turn back on. It's almost as if I did nothing, the truck doesn't even react mechanically. So what I have to do is reprogram my truck (bring back to stock, then re-download custom tunes) and then it'll crank over. 2) After re-downloading custom tunes maybe within the first 100 miles my truck will randomly start acting up with transmission shifts. Example, I'll be at a red light and light turns green so I takeoff and the truck doesn't shift out of 1st gear. The truck will stay in 1st gear for a mile or so and then SLAM into 2nd gear and then it'll be fine thereafter. It'll also come back to haunt me randomly like 2-3 weeks later, it's like it comes back again.

There's obviously something wrong with my truck but I'm honestly lost for words at what I should do. For now I'm running stock SCT X4 tunes to see if it’s the MPT custom tunes causing the issues. I've spoken to technical staff at MPT and they recommend I bring my truck back to stock and leave it be. Once I told them about my experiences, it's like they didn't even want to bother to help me. I obviously enjoy having custom tunes because it works compatibly with my truck mods (little stuff: intake and exhaust) and definitely wakes up the engine. Has anyone ever had similar experiences?
Old 05-15-2017, 01:48 PM

Received 471 Likes on 269 Posts

I have a 2013 Ecoboost running custom MPT tunes. I am kind of with them though. I would flash back to stock and see if you get the same behavior. That will also help to narrow down the issues to the custom tunes or something bigger. I have never had issues with MPT or their service. I have asked many questions, some of them quite stupid, and they have always been helpful.
The following users liked this post:
mjbrown1992 (05-22-2017)
Old 05-15-2017, 02:15 PM

larryo108 - I have done that every time I've experienced issues with the MPT tunes, I have to bring back to stock because its the only option that can be selected on the X4 tuner. I've been running the SCT stock tunes and have had zero issues so far. I heard through the grapevine that MPT is under lawsuit right now for failure with EPA compliance. Also, I've heard they are being sued by multiple customers. I cant 100% speak for the validity of these but it's what I've heard. Needless to say my experiences with them and their service has been less than satisfactory.
Old 05-15-2017, 02:54 PM
On The Hunt For A Project

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by mjbrown1992
Hi all, I'm new to this forum thread. I purchased a 2010 F-150 with the 3V Triton 5.4L about a year ago. Soon after I got the truck I bought a SCT X4 tuner and downloaded it with custom tunes from MPT. The tunes I've been running are 93 octane performance ECU with street TCU. I've been noticing some extremely abnormal activity ever since I had some valve train work done to my vehicle (replaced cam, hydraulic lifters, etc.). I wouldn't really consider associate the valve train repair to conflict with computer interruptions but my truck has experienced multiple failures like: 1) truck will be running perfectly fine, then I will shut it down say to pump fuel and when I attempt to crank it back over my truck doesn't turn back on. It's almost as if I did nothing, the truck doesn't even react mechanically. So what I have to do is reprogram my truck (bring back to stock, then re-download custom tunes) and then it'll crank over. 2) After re-downloading custom tunes maybe within the first 100 miles my truck will randomly start acting up with transmission shifts. Example, I'll be at a red light and light turns green so I takeoff and the truck doesn't shift out of 1st gear. The truck will stay in 1st gear for a mile or so and then SLAM into 2nd gear and then it'll be fine thereafter. It'll also come back to haunt me randomly like 2-3 weeks later, it's like it comes back again.

There's obviously something wrong with my truck but I'm honestly lost for words at what I should do. For now I'm running stock SCT X4 tunes to see if it’s the MPT custom tunes causing the issues. I've spoken to technical staff at MPT and they recommend I bring my truck back to stock and leave it be. Once I told them about my experiences, it's like they didn't even want to bother to help me. I obviously enjoy having custom tunes because it works compatibly with my truck mods (little stuff: intake and exhaust) and definitely wakes up the engine. Has anyone ever had similar experiences?

Check Fuse 27 under the hood. It may look burnt or slightly melted. It's a common issue with these trucks. Fuse relocation kit will be required.
The following users liked this post:
mjbrown1992 (05-22-2017)
Old 05-22-2017, 11:25 PM

SickStroke6.0 - I checked fuse #27 under my hood and it had zero sign of defect. I spoke with SCT today and they remotely verified that all stock and flash tunes on my truck are within normal parameters (good sign). I did a KAM reset, replaced the battery and fingers crossed that I don't have any issues. So far the truck has been running normal, but its only been 1 day.. I'll follow up with the health of my truck in the coming week. If my truck keeps acting abnormal, I may have to take it to the Ford Dealership. The PCM may be fried but I hope not :/