Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

moving the amp from the back floor to???

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2014, 08:55 AM

Received 44 Likes on 31 Posts

Default moving the amp from the back floor to???

I have a 2014 Eco Screw 4x4. The back seat floor has the big amp box. I am just curious if anybody has had it moved to a different spot to take full advantage of the back floor. I travel a lot with my dogs and that seems to be in the way. I am not sure if there is enough space behind the seat backs or under the passenger seat etc.

Let me know what you have done. Thanks.
Old 12-05-2014, 09:14 AM

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

I mounted on the back wall, behind the rear passenger seat - screwed a piece of MDF into the wall (made sure screws weren't long enough to go thru exterior, but long enough for wood and the metal support), then the amp into that. It wasn't fun with the sliding rear window motor and wires, but it fits and works great for me. hit up the audio forum to get some ideas

https://www.f150forum.com/f30/
Old 12-05-2014, 09:42 AM

Received 44 Likes on 31 Posts

I didn't even know there was an audio forum
The following users liked this post:
sigma pi (12-08-2014)
Old 12-05-2014, 10:20 AM
Boost :)

Received 440 Likes on 328 Posts

If you are talking about the factory sub amp and box, then no there really isn't any other place for it. You can unbolt it, unclip the harness, and take it out and your other speakers will work just fine if you prefer to do it that way. But in order to still have some sort of bass and still use the whole floor, you would have to do something like already mentioned and buy aftermarket products and put them against the back wall.
JohnnyC (12-05-2014)
Old 12-05-2014, 10:33 AM
King Hater

Received 872 Likes on 653 Posts

I would like to move it too. I rarely have the seats down and that box takes up floor space.
Old 12-05-2014, 11:34 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm new here (been lurking for a while), but figured I would chime in on this one since this was my latest mod. I decided to replace the factory Sony sub as one, it wasn't putting out the amount of bass I wanted, and two, it was in the way and it's design makes it hard to stack things on top of it. FYI, if you won't miss the bass, just unbolt/unclip and it keep all of your back seat open.

I replaced the factory sub with the Pioneer TS-SWX2502. It's a loaded enclosure with a 10", down-firing sub. It fits perfectly under the passenger-side rear seat, is completely flat so it's easy to put things on top of it, and when you want/need to take it out, you just disconnect the two speaker wires running to it. No bolts.

Like bsmit24, I put my aftermarket amp behind the rear seats. I spliced into the factory sub wires for my signal. It's a fairly easy install, sounds MUCH better over Sony's poor excuse for a sub, and is easier to remove/put things on top of.

Pioneer TS-SWX2502
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU...unt/TS-SWX2502

Last edited by scootersmith; 12-05-2014 at 11:38 AM.
JohnnyC (12-05-2014)
Old 12-05-2014, 10:50 PM

Received 698 Likes on 442 Posts

So how's the quality of sound as compared to the 700w Sony?

A question (because this interests me): can you specify exactly where you mounted the Pioneer sub? And how did you mount it? I have the FX4 with the 402A luxury package that includes a carpeted back wall panel (reducing space behind the rear passenger seats).

Thanks!
Old 12-06-2014, 08:10 AM

The sound quality is night and day (and then some) over the factory Sony sub. The 700w I believe equates to the entire sound system, not just the sub. Removing the sub didn't affect the other speakers as the amp driving them is under your console.

The sub is in the same location as the factory Sony sub - underneath the rear passenger seat. It fits perfectly under it (almost like it was made to go there), and in my opinion looks better than the factory unit. The benefits of it are its flat shape that allows you to put things on top of it and its ease of removal if needed. I'll take some pictures and post them later today.

To my knowledge, there isn't enough room to mount larger than an 8" sub behind the rear seats. I originally did the same install as post #3 in this thread, but with only one Sound Ordnance 8" loaded enclosure:

https://www.f150forum.com/f38/sub-be...ssible-238897/

It sounded better than factory, but the 8" sub didn't deliver the sound that I was looking for. I returned it within Crutchfield's 60-day window for a refund. I cut my carpet to fit around it just like in that photo. I kept the scrap, and it's back in the hole now. I may eventually replace the whole carpet panel if I can find one online. My amp is now there, out of the way.
Old 12-08-2014, 12:24 AM

Received 698 Likes on 442 Posts

From the looks of it, you are much more adept than I at figuring a way to make this work. So I will need a photo. What did you do about connecting to the OEM plug?

Thanks in advance!
Old 12-08-2014, 08:45 AM

Sorry about the delay in pictures. I work for Louisiana Tech, and it was a busy weekend with the C-USA Championship game and Heart of Dallas Bowl bid announcement.

It is probably possible to find a factory connector to use, but after unbolting the sub and unclipping the factory connection I just cut the truck-side factory connector off, leaving enough length that I can solder/heat shrink later when I sell the truck and put the factory sub back in. If you're not comfortable with cutting off the factory connector, you can use some of these quick splice connectors (you can get them at Walmart or any auto parts store):

Solderless Wire Quick Splice Connector - 18-22 Gauge - 25 Pack: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific Solderless Wire Quick Splice Connector - 18-22 Gauge - 25 Pack: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

I soldered/heat shrunk speaker wire to the four wires coming into the factory sub connector and ran those wires to a line output converter. (I just have a cheap Scosche brand line output converter from Walmart, and it works well. You can buy more expensive options from places like Crutchfield.) Since the amp is now behind the rear passenger seat, I pulled the wires back into the carpet where they came out under the factory Sony sub and redirected them toward the back wall. My connections to the four wires are now where I can't see them, but here is what the four wires look like:

Name:  FullSizeRender5.jpg
Views: 649
Size:  69.9 KB

I found the wiring code for the factory sub wires in another post in this forum, but here it is:

+ purple/green
- green/white
&
+ green/purple
-gray

The line output converter provides RCA output to the aftermarket amp. I then ran speaker wire back out the the Pioneer sub. Because the speaker wire is the only connection to sub, it is easy to remove if needed.

Here is the amp behind the rear passenger seat. (The lighting was bad this morning, so you can't make out much detail. Let me know if I need to take better pictures of any of these.):

Name:  FullSizeRender2.jpg
Views: 555
Size:  103.6 KB

Here is the sub from different angles. You can see how unobtrusive it is, how it blends in with the factory interior (I think, anyway...), how it's easy to put things on top of it if needed given its shape, and the one speaker wire connection on the side:

Name:  FullSizeRender4.jpg
Views: 725
Size:  75.9 KB

Name:  FullSizeRender3.jpg
Views: 686
Size:  89.8 KB

Name:  FullSizeRender.jpg
Views: 946
Size:  99.6 KB

Name:  FullSizeRender1.jpg
Views: 846
Size:  89.6 KB

I probably did a terrible job of explaining all of that, so let me know if any part needs clarification. I'd also be happy to work on some better lighting if it is needed. Also, all wiring for the amplifier was routed from the battery, through the firewall, and underneath the passenger side door sill plates. It's very easy to pop the clips up, route your wires through with the factory wiring bundle, and pop the sill plates back on.

Last edited by scootersmith; 12-08-2014 at 01:46 PM.

Quick Reply: moving the amp from the back floor to???