Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mounting my cell phone... recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2019, 08:27 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Mounting my cell phone... recommendations?

Hey all, I've got a 2013 XLT with two buckets and the partial console up front. She's my first "big boy truck" since I finally parted with the 97 Ranger I bought in college. I'm about a month in and realizing that I don't have a great spot yet for my phone. I use sync bluetooth to listen to Spotify pretty much daily, and occasionally use google maps to get around. So far I've been keeping the phone in the passenger cup holder, but with a growing kid and a wife who has come to embrace the truck, I suspect that spot won't be open for long. It also makes it a little tricky to use navigation, looking that far below the dash line.
So, at the risk of getting inundated with "in my pocket" posts, where does everyone else have their phone? On my old jeeps and in the Ranger I used the
iOttie mount iOttie mount
. Wondering if anyone else has found a mount that they really like and recommend.
Thanks for the help!
Old 04-29-2019, 09:30 PM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

On my belt. LOL. You left that wide open I carry my phone in a pouch on my belt and upgraded my system to a touch screen with nav so the phone is only used for streaming Pandora and such.

I've heard a lot of people rave about Ram mounts for things of this nature including tablets and laptops.
Old 04-29-2019, 10:17 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

If you don't use your CD player this mount is great. I never use my CD player as I'm streaming music or listen to regular radio. Great for using GPS as it's easy to glance at if necessary.

Amazon Amazon
Old 04-29-2019, 10:29 PM

Received 2,959 Likes on 1,649 Posts

Old 04-29-2019, 10:45 PM

Received 1,527 Likes on 1,205 Posts

I love my wizgear magnetic mount. The wife has one in her car, I have two in my truck. One for my tuner and one for my phone. I go off roading and they have never fallen off. You can see them mounted on both sides of the instrument cluster area above the air vents. This also leaves them in a perfect position to use map apps. You never have to look down!

T
Old 04-30-2019, 07:57 AM

Received 178 Likes on 131 Posts

I have the Scosche magnetic mounts in two of my vehicles and love them. So easy to just flop the phone on and it pulls right off when you want it back. The magnetic stick on plate does not interfere with my Qi charging either. Simple and effective.
Old 04-30-2019, 08:14 AM

Received 462 Likes on 251 Posts

Cheap magnet mount from the dollar store.

Works Great.

Old 04-30-2019, 10:53 AM

Received 2,102 Likes on 1,725 Posts

Originally Posted by AHenry014
I have the Scosche magnetic mounts in two of my vehicles and love them. So easy to just flop the phone on and it pulls right off when you want it back. The magnetic stick on plate does not interfere with my Qi charging either. Simple and effective.
I use 2 of these, either side of the radio screen.
Old 04-30-2019, 12:22 PM

Received 539 Likes on 334 Posts

Lots of recent info and discussion about this very subject, and several members also provided links of products in this thread in the past few weeks... https://www.f150forum.com/f118/best-...r-f150-439109/
Old 04-30-2019, 01:14 PM

Received 50 Likes on 38 Posts

I'm very picky when it comes to cell phone mounts. I cant stand all the "contraption" type mounts and cords all over the place for chargers. I like a minimalistic look but demand functionality and convenience. Years ago I found a great little mount at Best Buy that served me well for about 12 years, and as the technology came along I incorporated a wireless charger to it and hardwired it into my truck. When I purchased my new truck my old mount was damaged beyond use when I removed it (that double sided tape was really strong!). So I started searching for a new mount that met my criteria. I saw many of the typical mounts, the vent mounts (why would I want to block my airflow?), the CD player mount (would block my touch screen), windshield mounts (bulky and block view), magnetic mounts (minimal but no wireless charging), and cup holder mounts (lose a cup holder). I looked and looked and one day I came across this mount:

www.getspiegel.com

It looks minimal, has a wireless charger built in, not magnetic so no metal plate to use. My only concern is the "nano suction technology" to hold the phone. Many reviews stated that as long as you have a perfectly smooth area on your phone it will work fine. Videos looked promising and it looks small enough to be placed in a less conspicuous location than many mounts. I should have it tomorrow and will test it before hardwiring it into my truck and mounting it permanently. I can give an update once I try it out.
The following users liked this post:
Steelhead 6.2 (05-03-2019)

Quick Reply: Mounting my cell phone... recommendations?