Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is it morally right to "love" a vehicle?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2012, 12:32 PM
Gas Guzzler

Received 89 Likes on 39 Posts

Default Is it morally right to "love" a vehicle?

Hello everyone, let me start by saying I enjoy the site and all the useful knowledge and experience posted here. One thing I enjoy doing is reading over the various threads while having my morning coffee.

A somewhat disturbing trend I see more often than not is members claiming to "love" their trucks. I enjoy my truck but I am aware that it is only a material object. I am thankful to have a dependable vehicle but also realize that my choice of transportation greatly taxes natural resources.

My question is do you all think this is healthy? Could this love of material objects be a contributing factor in the current condition of todays economy? How is it that most of us could drive past a homeless person or stray dog but still claim to love our trucks? Is this morally wrong?

I look forward to this discussion and will follow this thread closely. Have and great weekend and be safe.

One Love
Old 03-09-2012, 12:38 PM
Girthy Member

Received 106 Likes on 93 Posts

I would expect that most people who claim to love their truck use the word love as a euphemism only.
If not it would qualify as a fetish, and that is a whole other kettle of fish.
Old 03-09-2012, 12:39 PM
Master Gunner

Received 547 Likes on 363 Posts

Uh... It depends on your definition of "love..."
Old 03-09-2012, 12:40 PM

Received 57 Likes on 41 Posts

OK, I'll bite. IMO a lot homeless people people choose to be that way and make more money that a lot of people in their regular jobs. A lot of them have homes and being homeless is their job to earn money be free loading off others hard earned money. Seen more than one homeless person hop into a nice car and drive off after their shift! I see nothing wrong with loving your truck, just not in the same way as human love! Think about all it can do for you!
Old 03-09-2012, 12:41 PM
I Like Tires

Received 248 Likes on 214 Posts

I think when other say "I love my truck" it's just an exaggeration of how thankful and happy they are to own a truck so nice. At least when I say I love my truck that's what I mean. I don't actually love the truck like I would my son or wife. But it is a material object that you grow attached to especially after putting blood, sweat, and tears from working on it and modding it yourself. I would be very distraught if it were hit or stolen.

I bought a '67 corvette when I was younger and the guy I bought it from cried when I drove away. He put a lot of work into that car though. It was line bored and balanced etc. making 500+hp. Best car I have ever owned, wish I had never sold it.
Old 03-09-2012, 12:43 PM

Received 76 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by sllydderrr
I would expect that most people who claim to love their truck use the word love as a euphemism only.
If not it would qualify as a fetish, and that is a whole other kettle of fish.
Originally Posted by BassAckwards
I think when other say "I love my truck" it's just an exaggeration of how thankful and happy they are to own a truck so nice. At least when I say I love my truck that's what I mean. I don't actually love the truck like I would my son or wife. But it is a material object that you grow attached to especially after putting blood, sweat, and tears from working on it and modding it yourself. I would be very distraught if it were hit or stolen.
x2 to both. And for the record, I've volunteered many hours helping homeless people and stray dogs
Old 03-09-2012, 12:44 PM
Canadian Forces

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This thread will turn ugly. Tread lightly folks! Be nice!
Gas Guzzler

thanks for the interesting response so far.

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

its my money. i earned it. i like vehicles with v8 gasoline engines. why should someone take that away from me or limit what i buy. if i want a turbo 4 cyl, ill buy one. if i want a v8 i should have that option too.
Old 03-09-2012, 12:46 PM
Gas Guzzler

Originally Posted by scrib
its my money. i earned it. i like vehicles with v8 gasoline engines. why should someone take that away from me or limit what i buy. if i want a turbo 4 cyl, ill buy one. if i want a v8 i should have that option too.
I agree with everything you said. I was just wondering if being attached to material objects is morally wrong. Our society is not attached to one another and I believe we are all connected, yet we deny this on a daily basis.

Quick Reply: Is it morally right to "love" a vehicle?