Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Making the Tremor grill - insert swapping and painting.

Old 11-11-2013, 10:05 AM

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Making the Tremor grill - insert swapping and painting.

Fairly new, but love modding. I can't leave anything alone. Other than standard things like tint and liners I haven't really done much to my STX. But, I am moving forward with my Tremor grill mod.

I really am just trying to gather the right info for what I am doing and also looking to provide info for future people if need be.

What I have:
1. 2013 STX with C-Clamp insert unpainted. Effectively an FX grill bare.
2. 2013 Oxford White PTM surround.
3. 2013 King Ranch 3-bar/mesh insert in chrome.
4. 2013 blue Jean PTM surround.

Obviously the two inserts are in their respective surrounds. Mine is white and I want to use it while having the King Ranch insert done in black.

In the end I am after the Tremor grill. Here is what it looks like and what I bought.

And of course what I have.

My questions now...

From what I have been able to tell, the King Ranch insert can be removed from the surround. Would I be able to simply remove the inserts from the surrounds and swap them? If so, why not just leave the white surround on the truck and do so? I have not heard of, or could find, anyone doing this. I simply don't want to snap those crappy little plastic clips on my brand new surround if I can help it.

Ultimately I am leaning toward Plastidip for the King Ranch to make it the Tremor look. I honestly think PD is an inferior way to handle this but I am open to trying if it will be durable and look good.

So, to do PD on the chrome do I need to scuff the chrome and or make it rough for prep? Can I just clean it well and spray the needed layers?

In the end I will have the look and grill I want. I just need a few things figured out. What do you all recommend for what I am looking to achieve?

Thanks.
The following users liked this post:
Pitch Black (10-07-2015)
Old 11-11-2013, 10:08 AM

Also, is it worth the time and ton of effort to properly prep, prime, seal, paint and clear the chrome grill professionally?

I have done this before and it takes FOREVER. Will PD give me the look or should I do it professionally?
Old 11-11-2013, 10:23 AM

Received 138 Likes on 103 Posts

There have been a few people who have done this. Yes they should just snap in. Being new, they shouldn't break, so just be careful. I would just plastidip them

https://www.f150forum.com/f38/got-me...-grill-232023/
Old 11-11-2013, 10:52 AM

Thanks for the link. I have searched a lot and read that. That is why I asked more specific questions.
Old 11-11-2013, 11:27 AM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

Couldn't find the video I originally watched on you tube how to remove the grill but this one is almost identical.

Once you remove the grill and the surround plastidip works great, just did my xlt grill that way.

Click the youtube link bottom right of video to watch it clearly, for some reason it's all white out when linked for me anyway.

Last edited by RLXXI; 11-11-2013 at 11:29 AM.
Old 11-11-2013, 11:46 AM

Although I appreciate the responses, I am getting ideas on how to remove the entire surround.

I was asking if you can remove the insert without the need to remove the surround.
Old 11-11-2013, 11:54 AM

Received 538 Likes on 448 Posts

i like the idea, where are you finding the King Ranch grill?
Old 11-11-2013, 11:57 AM

Received 138 Likes on 103 Posts

You can remove the insert while the surround is on the truck, but it will just make it awkward to do with it up in the air like that. To me it would be easier to just remove the entire thing and pop the insert out with the grill on my bench.
The following 2 users liked this post by azmidget91:
O.C.D. (11-11-2013), RLXXI (11-11-2013)
Old 11-11-2013, 12:02 PM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

Originally Posted by azmidget91
You can remove the insert while the surround is on the truck, but it will just make it awkward to do with it up in the air like that. To me it would be easier to just remove the entire thing and pop the insert out with the grill on my bench.

Exactly.

Old 11-11-2013, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by zimmer0
i like the idea, where are you finding the King Ranch grill?
I decided two weeks ago that I wanted to do this, called around for one, prices were way to high, searched EBay and found one that was posted in a really poor way. No one else bid on it and I won. Lets just say it was A LOT less than a brand new OEM. The entire thing was off a King Ranch with 89 miles on it. Production dates even showed August of this year. I really got lucky.

Originally Posted by azmidget91
I know it is odd but I am sooooo worried about breaking those stupid tabs off. The One I got has broken tabs (save 1) and I would rather not break mine.
The following users liked this post:
t.mackenzie (07-14-2014)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Making the Tremor grill - insert swapping and painting.