Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Make sure you look inside your Motorcraft oil filter

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2015, 11:15 PM

Received 90 Likes on 63 Posts

Default Make sure you look inside your Motorcraft oil filter

Was in the middle of another joyous oil change on f150. Oil drained, old filter off, ready to go. Opened the new filter and was getting ready to pour some oil in it and noticed a piece of rubber laying loose in the filter. Needless to say, I went back to the parts store and they were out of them. So, I decided to replace it with a K&N. I figured the nut would make easier install and removal. The parts store ate the difference in price. I am now going to be a little more cautious with new filters. That would have been a potential disaster. I moved the piece to the top for picture purposes. I work in manufacturing, so I understand things happen. But, this is a pretty critical defect that should never have left the factory.
Attached Thumbnails Make sure you look inside your Motorcraft oil filter-image-75568931.jpg  
Old 05-31-2015, 11:47 PM

Received 233 Likes on 158 Posts

Motorcraft filters are junk. Every one of the filters I've used has left the outer gasket on the housing. Used K&N oil filters for 11 years on my Powerstroke, never left a gasket on the housing.
Old 06-01-2015, 12:36 AM

Received 698 Likes on 442 Posts

Huh? "Left the gasket on the housing"? What does that mean? If you mean that when you take the filter off the gasket stays on the *engine block*, that's nothing to be concerned about. Many filters do that, no brand exclusions here. That certainly is an odd reason to call a filter "junk".

Motorcraft and Wix are the only filters I'll ever use (a former mechanic). I could tell you from experience that everything K&N makes is junk for a street vehicle, but you'd probably take exception to that (without knowing the facts). Use what you're happy with. A torn O ring IS certainly something to be concerned about. BTW, I get my filter from the dealer, not a parts house.

YMMV
Old 06-01-2015, 06:54 AM

Received 233 Likes on 158 Posts

Oil filters have been around for a long time, lots of claims, etc. Lots of choices, lots of flow rates, micron filtering, etc. All in all, most upper tier filters are nearly identical in performance and specifications. But, any manufacturer that cant design and manufacture a simple gasket to stay glued on the filter when installing and removing makes me question their QA and the quality of the rest of the filter. So, IMO, junk.
Old 06-01-2015, 07:08 AM

Received 135 Likes on 110 Posts

I prefer Motorcraft over any other as well for my F150.
Wix as well for my others as I've read the comparisons.

However, that's clearly someone at the production facility not doing their due diligence. To protect future buyers, you should honestly send as many pictures of that filter as you can to Ford Corporate to let them get in contact with the manufacturer before engines have failures.
Old 06-01-2015, 07:42 AM

Received 209 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by Old Smoky
Motorcraft filters are junk. Every one of the filters I've used has left the outer gasket on the housing. Used K&N oil filters for 11 years on my Powerstroke, never left a gasket on the housing.
Are you putting a film of oil on the gasket before installing? I have used almost every filter out way back to the mid '70's. I have never had any gaskets stick to the block. I always stick my finger in clean oil and then wipe it on the gasket. Just a thought.
Old 06-01-2015, 08:00 AM
American member

Received 1,058 Likes on 843 Posts

Default Make sure you look inside your Motorcraft oil filter

Originally Posted by funmoneypit150
Are you putting a film of oil on the gasket before installing? I have used almost every filter out way back to the mid '70's. I have never had any gaskets stick to the block. I always stick my finger in clean oil and then wipe it on the gasket. Just a thought.
That's how I was taught to install a filter 28 years ago. Never had one stick to the block.
A defective filter...well that's huge quality issue by the manufacturer.
Old 06-01-2015, 08:05 AM

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

in 30 years of changing oil I never had a gasket stick to the block. I always use motorcraft filters
Old 06-01-2015, 09:21 AM

Received 90 Likes on 63 Posts

I have religiously used Motorcraft filters for years. However, I am now on the fence. Yes, its one occasion. But that piece of rubber would have ended up in an oil passage or the pickup tube and likely cost a motor. I read a story on here about a guy having his oil changed at a quick lube place (Motorcraft filter) and the engine blew. Ford fought the warranty and he had to go through a mess and the filter manufacturer covered it. I don't recall who makes Motorcraft filters. Again, one occurrence. I don't mind overreacting when it is warranted. I am just glad I happened to look in the filter.
Old 06-01-2015, 09:28 AM

Received 83 Likes on 74 Posts

Nice catch, Dave. That one needed to be returned.

Quick Reply: Make sure you look inside your Motorcraft oil filter