Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lucky Me?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2017, 04:33 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Lucky Me?

I took my 2013 XLT into the dealership today for 3 things to be checked out.
#1- engine tick
#2- manure smell from the vents
#3- rear defrost not working

#1 They said the ticking sound was from the injectors-No charge. I'm good with that, sounds like a good answer.
#2 They said they could smell the manure smell and did a vent cleaning with a product like fabreeze. It smells better now. $49 I'm good with that.
#3 They said the relay for the rear glass defrost was bad and replaced it. $78 I was not good with that. The light for the defrost does work now, it didn't work before but the mirrors have always worked. I switched relays a few days before I brought it in to check that out and there was no change, the light still didn't come on. This morning before bringing it in it was foggy and I hit the button, no light no rear defog but the mirror heater worked. They defogged. I told this to the service manager when I dropped it off.
When I picked it up the service manager was out to lunch so I asked the gal that was also a service rep if that relay also worked the mirrors. I told her what I had told the service manager earlier and asked for the old relay and an answer as to why the mirrors worked and the back glass and light on the switch didn't. She went in the back and came out several minutes later and did not charge me for the relay or the labor. She had no answers to my questions she just said she would take care of it for me, which she did. Was it my lucky day? I would have paid the labor. I wanted to know what the fix was and why lie about it. I'm glad its working now but I don't think I want to go back to that dealership.

Last edited by tecbud; 09-28-2017 at 04:41 PM.
Old 09-28-2017, 05:29 PM

Received 141 Likes on 108 Posts

You are very lucky. Some people have problems with their dealers not being able to fix or diagnose anything and/or getting charged too much.
Old 09-28-2017, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by FLXLT
You are very lucky. Some people have problems with their dealers not being able to fix or diagnose anything and/or getting charged too much.
If there is a dealership that can not diagnose anything they would not be in business. This dealership has a mechanic that flat out lied. Do you really think luck had anything to do with this?
Old 09-28-2017, 08:17 PM

Received 964 Likes on 742 Posts

If the glass isn't closed ALL THE WAY the rear window won't heat and the light won't come on. The mirrors will still get hot. I can't help but wonder if that wasn't the case, and they didn't catch the unseated window until after they had already swapped out the relay.
Old 09-29-2017, 12:52 AM

Received 2,102 Likes on 1,725 Posts

Originally Posted by tecbud
If there is a dealership that can not diagnose anything they would not be in business. This dealership has a mechanic that flat out lied. Do you really think luck had anything to do with this?
Most dealerships can't diagnose anything. Not very well.
Old 09-29-2017, 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by PerryB
If the glass isn't closed ALL THE WAY the rear window won't heat and the light won't come on. The mirrors will still get hot. I can't help but wonder if that wasn't the case, and they didn't catch the unseated window until after they had already swapped out the relay.
I checked to make sure the window was closed several times, that was not the problem.
The following users liked this post:
PerryB (09-29-2017)
Old 10-05-2017, 02:09 AM

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

Tell me more of this relay and where to find it. Neither defroster on the back glass or my mirrors work and the light does not come on. I know the the back window closes all the way.
Old 10-05-2017, 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by FX4362
Tell me more of this relay and where to find it. Neither defroster on the back glass or my mirrors work and the light does not come on. I know the the back window closes all the way.
Look in your manual. Under the hood there is a box with fuses and relays. I think its #4 relay. I don't have my manual right now.

Mine stopped working again two days after they fixed it. I got some electrical contact cleaner and cleaned the contacts on the back window and the defrost is back working.
Old 10-05-2017, 08:42 AM

Received 2,102 Likes on 1,725 Posts

You know, a lot of people are scared of the rear defrost since so many have had windows explode when using it.
https://www.f150forum.com/f38/rear-w...window-129167/
Old 10-05-2017, 09:08 AM

Received 289 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by tecbud
Look in your manual. Under the hood there is a box with fuses and relays. I think its #4 relay. I don't have my manual right now.

Mine stopped working again two days after they fixed it. I got some electrical contact cleaner and cleaned the contacts on the back window and the defrost is back working.
Good to know the cleaning the contacts worked. My rear defrost stopped working around March (3 weeks past the warranty ended), and I've been to lazy during the summer to bother with it but I know cold weather will be coming soon!