Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

low airflow defrost

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2018, 06:54 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default low airflow defrost

When the defrost is on high very little air flow is coming out of the center and none on either side of the dash. The floor/vent/defrost actuator motor is working, I can see the white part spinning. It switches from vent to floor ok but even the floor doesn't seem to be blowing hard enough. When I turn it to recirc the floor seems to blow much harder with no change to defrost. There are no clicking sounds or any unusual sounds coming from behind the dash.

Could this be the dreaded "foam coming off the vent doors" problem? I'm referring to the doors behind the radio. Are there separate doors that control the defrost besides the two behind the radio?

I have a 2013 5.0 XLT no dual climate

Last edited by tecbud; 11-21-2018 at 09:34 AM.
Old 02-07-2019, 01:30 PM

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Any thoughts on this? I think I have the same problem. I don't get full air blowing when on full defrost.
Old 02-07-2019, 07:51 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I pulled the radio to try and see how the doors were opening behind there. It was hard to get to the two doors to see how they were working. I then pulled the door actuator by the gas pedal to see if that worked. It seemed to work ok. I unplugged it and worked the doors (manually) without the actuator and got air to blow out the defrost vents. I put it back together and it works now. I don't know what I did to fix it... I think maybe unplugging the actuator may have reset it.
It still works today, good luck.
Old 02-07-2019, 08:05 PM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

Typical of Ford's connectors. When I worked at a Ford dealer I fixed more problems like this simply unplugging and reconnecting. Even in the air bag systems (SRS)

Quick Reply: low airflow defrost