Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for Pics of my future setup

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2013, 07:41 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Looking for Pics of my future setup

Hey All,
Have been circling the forums for a bit looking for anyone running what I want to do, and to provide some feedback.

Currently have a Bronze Metallic 2011 XLT Screw Ecoboost with the Max Trailer package and chrome package.

Thinking of doing a 2" level kit, and Nitto Terra Grappler 275/70R18s on my stock XLT.

Wanted to know if anyone could post some pics of their rigs if they have this setup.

Also don't do a ton of towing but how much does this impact the sag when doing so?

Any other suggestions instead of the level? Bilsteins?

Do either of those wear the ball joints etc faster or are they about the same?

Should I worry about getting the speedo flashed?
Old 04-09-2013, 11:25 AM

Bump... anyone?
Old 04-09-2013, 11:31 AM

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Hey there check out my Album, I have pics of some similar setups. I had the 275/70 18 with stock suspension, then with a 2" front and 3" rear block, and finally with 295/70 18 tires. This is what it looked like with just the tires:

IMO if you are going to level, put a bigger tire on there than the 275/70 18. Otherwise stick with the stock suspension for that tire size. There is no rubbing with the stock wheels. Yes, you will wear stuff out faster if you put heavier tires on, and change the ball joint angle. Will it matter? That is up to you. I would say that you do not need to change the tire size in the ECU if you are going to a 275/70 18 (33" vs 32.1" for stock), when I went to the 33" tire the speedo was accurate with a GPS. Any bigger and I would say yes.

As far as what leveling kit, there are tons of options and opinions. Read up and inform yourself. I went with the Rancho Quick Level kit.

Last edited by LueyC; 04-09-2013 at 01:09 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Burnie329 (04-10-2013)
Old 04-09-2013, 12:19 PM

Received 579 Likes on 406 Posts

I strongly advise against terra grapplers. Go with BFG all terrains... Little more but definitely worth it.
Old 04-09-2013, 12:27 PM

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by rdkev
I strongly advise against terra grapplers. Go with BFG all terrains... Little more but definitely worth it.
When I worked for the 4x4 shop, I sold countless sets of both and personally ran both tires. We had numerous issues with the bfg having inconstant compounds and balancing issues. We had to send back a lot of brand new and barely used sets because they were out of round and unable to be balanced. From my personal experience, I sent back two of my own sets. Before the terra grappler came out I I ran 5 sets of bfgs. They were squirly in the snow and horrible in the rain. Ingot an average of 40k miles. I switched to the terra and it was a night and day difference in road noise, ride comfort, wet performance, snow and off road performance. I ran three sets of Terra's and got an average of 65k miles.

We quit selling the bfg ATs unless someone demanded them. We also saw a lot of issues with km2s wearing poorly. We still sold them, but for a daily driver I would highly recommend the toyo
For a mud terrain.
Old 04-09-2013, 12:34 PM

Question

Originally Posted by 100
When I worked for the 4x4 shop, I sold countless sets of both and personally ran both tires. We had numerous issues with the bfg having inconstant compounds and balancing issues. We had to send back a lot of brand new and barely used sets because they were out of round and unable to be balanced. From my personal experience, I sent back two of my own sets. Before the terra grappler came out I I ran 5 sets of bfgs. They were squirly in the snow and horrible in the rain. Ingot an average of 40k miles. I switched to the terra and it was a night and day difference in road noise, ride comfort, wet performance, snow and off road performance. I ran three sets of Terra's and got an average of 65k miles.

We quit selling the bfg ATs unless someone demanded them. We also saw a lot of issues with km2s wearing poorly. We still sold them, but for a daily driver I would highly recommend the toyo
For a mud terrain.
How long ago was this? I went straight from terras to BFG's and the only thing the Terra's did better was dry cornering... Because they more of a road tire than the BFG. The BFG's are quieter and provide MUCH better performance offroad and in snow... You can see this just from looking at the tread type. Idk, your info seems to be a rare case because you can ask a lot of different people and look up reviews and the BFG's get better reviews and last way longer. I'm never going back to them again... I guess that's why we have different brands to choose from.
Old 04-09-2013, 02:06 PM

Hey LueyC do you have the max trailer package?
Old 04-09-2013, 10:14 PM

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by rdkev

How long ago was this? I went straight from terras to BFG's and the only thing the Terra's did better was dry cornering... Because they more of a road tire than the BFG. The BFG's are quieter and provide MUCH better performance offroad and in snow... You can see this just from looking at the tread type. Idk, your info seems to be a rare case because you can ask a lot of different people and look up reviews and the BFG's get better reviews and last way longer. I'm never going back to them again... I guess that's why we have different brands to choose from.
My experiences are from about 400-500 sets of bfgs. As far as off road performance, the terra won the baja 1000 the first year out. There are all sorts of conditions that are encountered in that race. They blew away the bfg baja while the bfg AT isn't even a contender.

If I had to make a guess at the cause of your issues, your tire pressure or load rating was incorrect for your vehicle.
Old 04-09-2013, 10:27 PM

Didnt want to start a debate on the tires was just looking to get some images of my future ride
Old 04-10-2013, 12:58 AM

Nope, just read reviews and other people's opinions on forums. Seems to actually be 50/50 after looking more today. It winning the baja doesn't have anything to do with being a better or worse tire lol. If you drive both, the BFG's have more traction in pretty much every situation than on road. Good luck op.

Quick Reply: Looking for Pics of my future setup