Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking at buying a 2010 Platinum 4WD...opinions needed, and a question

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2015, 09:16 PM

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Looking at buying a 2010 Platinum 4WD...opinions needed, and a question

Found a black 2010 Platinum 4WD for just under $22k. 141k miles. Completely stock, with the Sony system / nav. It does appear to be in good shape, from what I can tell.

Opinions - good price? Trucks here (in North Texas) seems really high priced.

Question: Above the nav screen, there is a little black bar. Should there be any info there? I thought there might be stereo and or temp info in an LED bar, but this one is completely black.

I have the truck as a loaner until tomorrow so that I can get my mechanic to give it the once over, but any input would be greatly appreciated.
Old 12-28-2015, 09:36 PM

Received 137 Likes on 121 Posts

Which engine?

For 22k I'd get something newer, a lower trim than Platinum, and with less mileage, but that's just me... I don't need all the bells and whistles that a Platinum has. But if your mechanic gives you the green light, go for it if that's what you want!
Old 12-28-2015, 09:42 PM
One Clean Machine

Received 1,614 Likes on 1,350 Posts

Price seems fair, shoot 19-20k at em!
Old 12-28-2015, 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by BostonBruins
Which engine?

For 22k I'd get something newer, a lower trim than Platinum, and with less mileage, but that's just me... I don't need all the bells and whistles that a Platinum has. But if your mechanic gives you the green light, go for it if that's what you want!
It is the 5.4 engine. Essentially the same one I have in my '04, AFAIK.

The mileage is the thing that concerns me, although I have almost 160k on my current truck (the '04) with no real issues. Believe it or not, any decent F-150 around here is easily going to be 22k. They are insanely expensive.

I have been trying to convince my wife that we should get a really nice car - like and Audi A8 - but she really thinks we need a truck.
Old 12-28-2015, 09:49 PM

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

I know it's a different trim package just paid $25k for a 13XLT with the ecoboost and about 27k on the odometer. That was in the St. Louis area.

That's a ton of miles on a vehicle that's only 5 years old. Way too much in my mind. I agree with the gent from Beantown.

I just saw the next post, why would you pay that much for only 20,000 fewer miles? If your 04 is in good shape, I would keep driving it if it were me. Car payments suck.
Old 12-28-2015, 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by pilotpip
I know it's a different trim package just paid $25k for a 13XLT with the ecoboost and about 27k on the odometer. That was in the St. Louis area.

That's a ton of miles on a vehicle that's only 5 years old. Way too much in my mind. I agree with the gent from Beantown.

I just saw the next post, why would you pay that much for only 20,000 fewer miles? If your 04 is in good shape, I would keep driving it if it were me. Car payments suck.
Thanks. Honestly, I am leaning towards that (keeping the old truck). I could probably get somewhere near 10k for my truck if I sold it myself, so that $12k or so would be for things like newer body style, newer tech, 4WD (as my current is 2WD). I would actually pay it off by June or so, but it is still $12k....

For some reason, I have new car fever right now, but I am entirely too cheap to actually get a 'new' car.

Funny, back when I could not afford a car, I always had a car payment, usually on a new car. Now that I can easily afford one, I don't want it!
Old 12-28-2015, 10:16 PM

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...17940595&Log=0

That is the truck, in case anyone wants to look at it.
Old 12-28-2015, 10:18 PM

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

I went most of my life without a payment because I had crappy credit and some pretty low paying jobs right out of college. Now that I drive a newer vehicle I enjoy not doing anything other than oil changes but hate that $400 that goes to the credit union every month.

Make the payment to yourself, then go pay cash for something when the time is right. Or, if you really HAVE to have something, go buy a weekend car, and keep the truck for when you need it or don't want to drive the toy. That platinum may be a newer truck, with newer tech, but it's had a butt in the drivers seat for almost as much time as your truck, and has almost as much (perhaps more) wear on it as yours. I can't imagine there aren't better trucks at better prices in TX. If there aren't, you could easily justify traveling for a better deal. Be patient and the right one will come along.
Old 12-28-2015, 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by pilotpip
I went most of my life without a payment because I had crappy credit and some pretty low paying jobs right out of college. Now that I drive a newer vehicle I enjoy not doing anything other than oil changes but hate that $400 that goes to the credit union every month.

Make the payment to yourself, then go pay cash for something when the time is right. Or, if you really HAVE to have something, go buy a weekend car, and keep the truck for when you need it or don't want to drive the toy. That platinum may be a newer truck, with newer tech, but it's had a butt in the drivers seat for almost as much time as your truck, and has almost as much (perhaps more) wear on it as yours. I can't imagine there aren't better trucks at better prices in TX. If there aren't, you could easily justify traveling for a better deal. Be patient and the right one will come along.
That is normally what I do. I haven't had a car payment in a very long time. If this were March and I had my bonus, I would likely pay cash for it right away - assuming I could make myself part with the money....
Old 12-28-2015, 11:33 PM

Received 169 Likes on 119 Posts

dude you can buy my 13 kr with only 31k on the clicker 4x4 sun roof, nav etc. everything that was optioned in 2013, eb, locker rear 3.55 gears, 20" wheels. new sunroof in april 2015, new cac in april 2015. still has the annoying double pull to open the freshly unlocked driver door
I am looking to trade up to an expedition.

40, 000 cash

Quick Reply: Looking at buying a 2010 Platinum 4WD...opinions needed, and a question