Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Long Time GM owner, looking to go Ford

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2012, 07:31 PM

Received 540 Likes on 449 Posts

Default Long Time GM owner, looking to go Ford

Been driving my '00 GMC Sierra Z71 for the past 8yrs and now that I'm out of school, got a full time job, and no longer like the practicality (or lack there of) of my truck it's time for a change. Thought long and hard about sticking with GM or going with a Ford this go round and think I have come to the conclusion to go with a '11+ supercrew. Maybe you guys can help make this thought a little more concrete in my mind.
I'm really love the look of the FX2 supercrew's, particularly in oxford white and ignot silver. Loved the lack of upkeep of my GMC as it always looked clean with little effort so a light, easy to maintain cleanliness color is necessary.
I love modding my trucks, as most of us do, so i also played around the idea of getting into a lariat/xlt to save on upfront costs and making my own FX2 replica.
Still up in the air on whether or not to go with the 5.0 or EB. Love the sound of a V8 but also could use the additional fuel economy and fun factor of the EB. Thoughts/suggestions on this please.

I've been doing quite a bit of research on here and other forums for the past 2months so i have a good grasp of common problems with these trucks. Maybe someone can hit the highlights as a quick review.

Just a few pics of my impractical daily driver.

Old 10-09-2012, 07:33 PM

Received 540 Likes on 449 Posts

Will be looking to buy early next year, probably around tax time (April). I hear this is a good time to buy. More than likely will try to find a low mileage '11-12 screw.
Old 10-09-2012, 07:50 PM

Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts

Why don't you just get the fx2 to begin with instead of getting a lariat/xlt then transforming it into an fx2? Because if you get a lariat/xlt you're gonna spend money transforming it into an fx2 when that money could've been used for something else. If you like chrome, go with the lariat or xlt. If you don't like it, the fx2 is a good choice.
Old 10-09-2012, 07:57 PM

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Off topic, but that's one clean GM you got there. Looks nice.
Old 10-09-2012, 07:57 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I had a 2000 Silverado Z71 for 13 years, and just bought a 2012 FX4.

Couldn't be happier.

The interior is night/day difference. The truck sits much higher (stock, no lift) and the ride seems a lot smoother.

My Silverado was a 5.3L V8 with 280 hp; I upgraded to the Ecoboost 3.5L with 360 hp. Much more pep, obviously.

You won't regret the EB, or the FX2 or FX4.
Old 10-09-2012, 08:06 PM

Received 105 Likes on 88 Posts

I'd say test drive both a new Chevy and a new ford. I'd be willing to bet you will like the ford better. Ingot silver is IMO the easiest to keep clean. Now the ecoboost vs. the 5.0 tuff choice. I would save the money and get the 5.0. I really don't think the ecoboost really gets that much better mpg. Maybe I'm wrong? I'm sure ecoboost owners could help you with that. Good luck with you decision.
Old 10-09-2012, 08:20 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I was also a long time Z71 owner before I bought my 11 FX4 crew EB. Absolutely a huge upgrade over Chevy. The interior and ride quality are no comparison. I was a little skeptical about the EB at first but after driving it, it's a lot of fun and I really like it so far (16k miles). In town my mpg isn't much better than a v8 truck with about 15 mpg. I do get 21-22 on the highway though. Pretty much as advertised (15/21). All stock right now so that could easily change with bigger/heavier wheels and tires. Don't forget this time of year it isn't unheard of to get 8-10k off of sticker-just something to consider if you're looking at a one year old truck vs new, plus better interest rates on new. Good luck in your search.
Old 10-09-2012, 08:22 PM
One Bad MoFoMoCo Owner

Received 394 Likes on 259 Posts

The Ecoboost is only rated for 1 mpg better than the 5.0 L, many, including myself, get better than EPA estimated mileage out of the coyote engines, it's rated at 360hp, but often dyno tests reveal higher numbers, and it sounds wicked at WOT. Plus, when you want a tune, you can just fill up with ethanol, and now your close to 400hp.

As far XLT versus FX2, depends if you like chrome. I like it, so the XLT was my choice.

Now onto color, white is the hardest dam color to keep clean. My wife had a Rodeo, and I can spend an hour washing that thing, and it still looks dirty. Every little speck stands out. I would suggest a coherent color. Silver was the easiest to keep looking clean, takes alot to make it look dirty. The dark blue pearl I have more is also easy upkeep.
Old 10-09-2012, 08:58 PM

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Just wondering with a truck like you have why a 4WD isn't in your thought process. I have an EB but the 5.0 is great to as you will read both do well on gas one runs a bit higher rpm and one is more of a torque monster made for towing heavy loads but can be fun as hell when you put your foot in it
Old 10-09-2012, 09:02 PM

Received 147 Likes on 96 Posts

Miss my silverado.................

Quick Reply: Long Time GM owner, looking to go Ford