Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

That little piece of clear tape....

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2015, 08:13 AM

Received 41 Likes on 26 Posts

Question That little piece of clear tape....

Yeah, you know the one. It's the small clear piece of tape that Ford puts on the leading edge bottom corner of the bed, just behind the passenger cab. I'm guessing it's there to prevent road debris from chipping the paint. Either that, or it's there for the adhesive on the tape to attract moisture, and start the bed to rusting......LOL!

In any event, mine is coming off on the passenger side. Short of going to the Ford dealer, does anyone know of a source for this piece? I don't want to spend $15 to $20 for the 3M door edge stuff, as it's reviews are sketchy at best, with regards to the adhesive 3M uses. I also don't think standard packing tape would have a strong enough adhesive either.

Any suggestions?

Tim
Old 09-07-2015, 09:38 AM
American member

Received 1,058 Likes on 843 Posts

Default That little piece of clear tape....

There has to be a way to buy that 3M tape in a small piece.
Worst case, try one they sell for the fog and headlights. Then cut it.
Could always tape it off and spray another layer of clear, or plasti-dip. I'm sure there's lots of options, I'm not thinking of at the moment, as well.
Old 09-07-2015, 09:51 AM
2nd Amendment Supporter!

Received 407 Likes on 304 Posts

Let's see if I can copy & paste from eBay mobile app to this GT mobile app???
I found a piece of 3M film for only $7 that should be sufficient in size for you:

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item...obalID=EBAY-US
Old 09-07-2015, 09:52 AM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

That tape is only there to protect it during the build, the dealer should have removed it while performing the pre delivery inspection.
Old 09-07-2015, 12:12 PM

Received 156 Likes on 99 Posts

If you have a local shop that installs the 3M, drop by and I'll bet they will give you a scrap.
Old 09-07-2015, 12:17 PM
2nd Amendment Supporter!

Received 407 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by Dutchmanxtr
If you have a local shop that installs the 3M, drop by and I'll bet they will give you a scrap.
Good idea.... Now that you mentioned that, I know I have a few pieces left over myself that I used to protect my paint where my Amp bed steps are. (Also used it on my Harley to protect the gas tank paint from any seat rub too).
OP.... PM me, I'll get ya fixed up for free!
Old 09-07-2015, 01:25 PM
Automotive Refinish Tech

Received 1,747 Likes on 1,135 Posts

Originally Posted by Rnlcomp
That tape is only there to protect it during the build, the dealer should have removed it while performing the pre delivery inspection.
No it's a stone shield. I've replaced hundreds of them after painting boxsides. They're on the edges of ptm rear bumpers too. If you have the kick out side steps, the whole lower part of the boxside will have it as well.
Old 09-07-2015, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by mbullock
No it's a stone shield. I've replaced hundreds of them after painting boxsides. They're on the edges of ptm rear bumpers too. If you have the kick out side steps, the whole lower part of the boxside will have it as well.
We always removed them during PDI as instructed by Ford, granted that was a little over 11 yrs ago.
Old 09-07-2015, 02:05 PM
Automotive Refinish Tech

Received 1,747 Likes on 1,135 Posts

Originally Posted by Rnlcomp
We always removed them during PDI as instructed by Ford, granted that was a little over 11 yrs ago.
Yeah, these are definitely supposed to be there. Some trucks have them some trucks don't. My truck used to, but I ripped mine off after I saw them hanging, I have gravel guard so it really doesn't matter. Some trucks have a gravel guard, some trucks don't. I remember constantly writing supplements for the stone shields because our appraisers at the body shop I worked for always forgot to order them, a lot of the time I would have to make them myself out the 3m sheets.

Here's a pic of my rear bumper stone shields. Dirty but whatever...
Attached Thumbnails That little piece of clear tape....-20150907_125149.jpg  
Old 09-07-2015, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by mbullock
Yeah, these are definitely supposed to be there. Some trucks have them some trucks don't. My truck used to, but I ripped mine off after I saw them hanging, I have gravel guard so it really doesn't matter. Some trucks have a gravel guard, some trucks don't. I remember constantly writing supplements for the stone shields because our appraisers at the body shop I worked for always forgot to order them, a lot of the time I would have to make them myself out the 3m sheets.

Here's a pic of my rear bumper stone shields. Dirty but whatever...
Had those stuck to the edges of my chrome bumper, I yanked them off as well, I wonder why Ford would tell us to REMOVE ALL PLASTIC prior to delivery, it also makes me wonder why some trucks would have it and others not, that right there tells me it's only a temporary item, also there are no part #'s for it in the parts books.

To myself and everyone that did PDI at my dealer there is no differentiation of what plastic or where it was applied, thus pull it off per Ford's PDI instructions.

Quick Reply: That little piece of clear tape....