Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Limited Slip vs Traction Control/Advancetrac

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2012, 08:45 PM

Received 154 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Limited Slip vs Traction Control/Advancetrac

My 2011 F150 4x4 has factory limited slip in the rear end. I've been reading through some old posts and some say that the traction control does the same thing as the limited slip. If so, then why does Ford offer the LSD? Which one "activates" first? If it's the traction control then is the LSD only useful off road when/if you've chosen to disable the traction control? Does it really matter to have the LSD anymore or is it a redundancy?
Old 06-22-2012, 08:50 PM
Romp It!

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts

Well they are pretty different. Traction control is controlled by the ABS and applies brake and some systems slow down production of the cylinders to help prevent from wheel spin on slippery surfaces. Limited Slip just applies torque to both wheels no matter the amount of traction(not equal like a full locker though). You can have one without the other and they serve different purposes. Limited slip would be better for offroading
Old 06-22-2012, 11:35 PM
Inebriated 4 ur safety

Received 894 Likes on 483 Posts

The electronic traction controlled limited slip(E-LSD) kicks in first with minimal amount of spin of the wheel doing a very good job at giving you traction. This will do great for most 4WD owners that never intentionaly go offroad on purpose. Those that buy their 4WD for "just in case" situations, slippery boat ramps, or winter weather conditions will find this diff adequate to thier needs without having to spend more money. However, the E-LSD does not work in 4LO leaving you with an open diff in those rock climbing or pulling a buddy out of the mud while you are in the mud situations. The majority of 4wd owners that buy them for the reasons stated above hardly ever even use 4LO so not having an e-locker or LSD is no big deal and a waiste of money unless you just want to get it just to have it like most do.

The LSD in 4LO will get the F-150 through a lot too, but not do it as good as the e-locker. You will have some wheel spin before the other tire finally catches and in some cases that extra wheel slip can mean the difference of getting over the obstacle or not. Although their is a trick to overcome this. If you are ever in a 4LO situation where you have too much wheel spin and the LSD is not catching fast enough, just engage the e-brake a little. Not all the way or even half way, just enough to where it will keep the tire from spinning and allow time for the LSD to engage. Or you can just see if 4HI can get you over the obstacle since the E-LSD pretty much does the exact same thing for you. This and the amount of torque these new engines supply to the LSD wheels will get you through just about anything a locker can even one wheel off the ground situations. For those who purposely go offroad to places like the dear lease but not extreme rock climbs (or just use a Jeep for all the rough rock climbing like me) then the LSD will be all you need.

Finally the e-locker. This is the hardcore, purposely get into anything you have to climb my way out of, go up the steepest hill in 4 LO differential to have. Although the F-150 will still not be able to outdo a Jeep or FJ climbing the rocks(where the locker is used the most) due to it's IFS(independant front suspension), front sway bar, wheel base, and many other reasons. This diff will get the F-150 in and out of just anything the other limitations stated above will let you get into and still be able to tow a travel trailer home after your offroad weekend unlike the Jeep and FJ. The e-locker allows for zero wheel slip if atleast one tire has traction in 4LO when the E-LSD is not engaged. The good thing about the 2012 and up trucks that allow you to have an e-locker in 2HI(regular on highway drive) is that a 2WD truck will be good enough for those guys that buy 4WD trucks for "just in case" situations or the infamous slippery boat ramp. I would still buy a 4WD for those winter weather up hill conditions. I personally would rather have a 2WD with an e-locker then a 4WD in an open diff truck that does not have E-LSD.

Lastley, none of the differentials aren't any good if you have zero traction. A good set of shoes (tires)will go a looonnnggg way into improving your off road traction. A good offroad tire will let you go through a lot before actually having to engage 4wd versus the crappy tires that come with the trucks stock.

Edit: Forgot to mention that one thing that crippled lockers on everday trucks in the past was the fact that is was an open diff when not engaged. I don't see the mechanical LSD being around much longer now that Ford has a great E-LSD system (unlike the 2009 and 2010) for the E-locker when it is not engaged, the tires can be locked in 2WD too, and that there isn't much difference in price. It lookes like all you can get now is the e-locker anyways accept for a few configerations.

Last edited by Al Kohalic; 06-23-2012 at 12:17 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Al Kohalic:
130428 (02-28-2014), Bryce919er (02-28-2014)
Old 06-23-2012, 06:22 AM

Received 154 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Al Kohalic
The electronic traction controlled limited slip(E-LSD) kicks in first with minimal amount of spin of the wheel doing a very good job at giving you traction. This will do great for most 4WD owners that never intentionaly go offroad on purpose. Those that buy their 4WD for "just in case" situations, slippery boat ramps, or winter weather conditions will find this diff adequate to thier needs without having to spend more money. However, the E-LSD does not work in 4LO leaving you with an open diff in those rock climbing or pulling a buddy out of the mud while you are in the mud situations. The majority of 4wd owners that buy them for the reasons stated above hardly ever even use 4LO so not having an e-locker or LSD is no big deal and a waiste of money unless you just want to get it just to have it like most do.

The LSD in 4LO will get the F-150 through a lot too, but not do it as good as the e-locker. You will have some wheel spin before the other tire finally catches and in some cases that extra wheel slip can mean the difference of getting over the obstacle or not. Although their is a trick to overcome this. If you are ever in a 4LO situation where you have too much wheel spin and the LSD is not catching fast enough, just engage the e-brake a little. Not all the way or even half way, just enough to where it will keep the tire from spinning and allow time for the LSD to engage. Or you can just see if 4HI can get you over the obstacle since the E-LSD pretty much does the exact same thing for you. This and the amount of torque these new engines supply to the LSD wheels will get you through just about anything a locker can even one wheel off the ground situations. For those who purposely go offroad to places like the dear lease but not extreme rock climbs (or just use a Jeep for all the rough rock climbing like me) then the LSD will be all you need.

Finally the e-locker. This is the hardcore, purposely get into anything you have to climb my way out of, go up the steepest hill in 4 LO differential to have. Although the F-150 will still not be able to outdo a Jeep or FJ climbing the rocks(where the locker is used the most) due to it's IFS(independant front suspension), front sway bar, wheel base, and many other reasons. This diff will get the F-150 in and out of just anything the other limitations stated above will let you get into and still be able to tow a travel trailer home after your offroad weekend unlike the Jeep and FJ. The e-locker allows for zero wheel slip if atleast one tire has traction in 4LO when the E-LSD is not engaged. The good thing about the 2012 and up trucks that allow you to have an e-locker in 2HI(regular on highway drive) is that a 2WD truck will be good enough for those guys that buy 4WD trucks for "just in case" situations or the infamous slippery boat ramp. I would still buy a 4WD for those winter weather up hill conditions. I personally would rather have a 2WD with an e-locker then a 4WD in an open diff truck that does not have E-LSD.

Lastley, none of the differentials aren't any good if you have zero traction. A good set of shoes (tires)will go a looonnnggg way into improving your off road traction. A good offroad tire will let you go through a lot before actually having to engage 4wd versus the crappy tires that come with the trucks stock.

Edit: Forgot to mention that one thing that crippled lockers on everday trucks in the past was the fact that is was an open diff when not engaged. I don't see the mechanical LSD being around much longer now that Ford has a great E-LSD system (unlike the 2009 and 2010) for the E-locker when it is not engaged, the tires can be locked in 2WD too, and that there isn't much difference in price. It lookes like all you can get now is the e-locker anyways accept for a few configerations.
Thanks Al. This explains all of my questions. It tells us where they are similar and where they are different.
Old 06-23-2012, 01:52 PM
Inebriated 4 ur safety

Received 894 Likes on 483 Posts

Originally Posted by CAPTAIN_MATH
Thanks Al. This explains all of my questions. It tells us where they are similar and where they are different.

NP, glad to help!
Old 02-24-2014, 02:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2013 ford f 150 stx 4x4 LSD , how can I find out if mine has an E LSD or just a regular mechanical LSD ?
Thank you
Old 02-24-2014, 06:03 AM

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

E-LSD is also known as "One Wheel Spin Control"

I put some info in this thread not long ago.
https://www.f150forum.com/f38/conver...ff-lsd-244737/

Last edited by Deathroe; 02-24-2014 at 06:08 AM.
Old 02-28-2014, 12:31 AM

thank you
Old 02-28-2014, 12:36 AM

Does somebody knows what would cost to add an E-lock to my 4x4 2013 2012 STX or because I have an LSD I can't , mean I can't have both? also how much would cost to upgrade to an True-Track Eaton dif locker?

Quick Reply: Limited Slip vs Traction Control/Advancetrac