Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Level kit vs. lift kit

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2015, 10:09 AM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Level kit vs. lift kit

Hey Everyone. I put the bilstein 5100's and a 1" block in the back with some Trail Grapplers on my 2012. And, as much as I LOVED the look of it...it rode like crap. Every bump on the road traveled right to the cab of the truck.

Since I've traded it in, my new 2014 has rode so smooth and nice. However, the look is killing me! I need to do something to it to make it look more aggressive.

I was told by a Raptor guy that if I put on a full coil-over suspension lift, it will ride better or just as good as stock. I've had a lifted Chevy before with a Fabtech lift and it didn't ride good at all.

Anyone have any really good insight into this? Honestly, I would only be doing it for the looks (no real reason other than that) but I also want a stock ride comfort level. He also said that the Trail Grapplers ride really hard on highways and I should've gone with the Toyo's.
Old 02-14-2015, 10:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm in the same boat as you. My 2014 Kingranch rides really nice right now but its looks terrible. I'm thinking about going with the fox coil over set up. They are kind of pricey, but fox is a good brand.

http://www.stage3motorsports.com/985...Coilovers.html
Old 02-14-2015, 02:19 PM

Received 49 Likes on 42 Posts

I'm in the same boat! And what I've found is if you do the coil over you want to stay at 2" to 2.25" of lift to keep the ride great ,anything over that and it starts to get harsh. Now some people will say I got my coil overs set a 3" and it rides great! But there is no way it can as you have hardly any drop travel at that hight with factory uca.

And after you get coil over hight figured out then you have to figure out what spring rate and type of valving you want. I know for me I prefer a digressive valving for a mostly on road truck with little to moderate off road use. Progressive valving is to rough for on road use in my taste. But spring rate comes into play on both as well. Fox and King run progressive valving with Icon and the new Bilstein 6112 running digressive valving.

And the more I look at trucks with 2" level on 33's . It still doesn't have the look/feel I'm going for. And I don't care for the stuffed look of 35's on a 2"-2.5" level. So after looking at a coil over set up and not getting the look i'm after. I'm doing a 4" lift with 35's with 1.5" spacers on factory wheels for now. And this way I use the factory coil over and keep a soft ride front with fox 2.0 or raptor take offs for the rear and still fit in my 7' garage. And after I see how the Bilstein 6112 are, I will probably add those to my set up or a custom set of Icon's.

And as far as tires riding rough, play with the psi, it makes a big difference in ride.
Old 02-14-2015, 02:28 PM

Received 570 Likes on 473 Posts

This coilover kit will solve your ride problems. Can run it at whatever height you want from stock to 3"

http://www.f150lifts.com/Boss-Ultima...015_p_144.html
[MENTION=156426]F150Lifts.com[/MENTION]

Now, a full blown lift kit is really a good way to go, but you'll want coilovers there too instead of large spacers stacked on the factory coils.
The following users liked this post:
HaloLifts (02-14-2015)
Old 02-15-2015, 06:09 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Thanks for the info. I really like the "stuffed" look like I had on my Blue Flame but I HATED the ride quality. Maybe a full coil over suspension would be best.

Here is what my Blue Flame looked like:

Name:  IMG_3163.jpg
Views: 632
Size:  84.3 KB

I want that look but a stock quality ride. Might just have to do some more research on the coil over.

Does anyone have this same setup on their truck that can attest to the ride quality?
Old 02-15-2015, 08:01 PM

Received 122 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by MTN GHOST RIDER
Thanks for the info. I really like the "stuffed" look like I had on my Blue Flame but I HATED the ride quality. Maybe a full coil over suspension would be best. Here is what my Blue Flame looked like: I want that look but a stock quality ride. Might just have to do some more research on the coil over. Does anyone have this same setup on their truck that can attest to the ride quality?

Level kit vs. lift kit-image-936328706.jpg

I have the boss coilovers and I definitely recommend them. Ride is awesome and just the right amount of height I was looking for. Clear 33.3"X11.8" tires no problem.
The following 2 users liked this post by XLTinSD:
HaloLifts (02-20-2015), MTN GHOST RIDER (02-15-2015)

Quick Reply: Level kit vs. lift kit