Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LED strip light sources

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2016, 10:38 AM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Default LED strip light sources

I just installed an LED bed light kit from F150LED and now have the lighting bug after seeing all the projects members on this forum have done! I want to add some to the bottom of my bed cover as well as do some interior lights. I've looked on Amazon, but am thporoughly confiused with all the options.
Who is a good source for these 12v strip lights and switches?

**To clarify, I am happy with the F150 LED bed light kit, but I want to purchase lights not in kit form so I can create my own projects.

Last edited by Capt. Dan; 03-10-2016 at 11:03 AM.
Old 03-10-2016, 11:14 AM

Received 51 Likes on 22 Posts

Did you go with the wired one or the automatic wireless one? I want to install this on my truck too but don't feel like wiring it. Also, do you have a cover on your bed?
Old 03-10-2016, 11:16 AM
King Hater

Received 872 Likes on 653 Posts

Ebay
Old 03-10-2016, 11:29 AM

Received 1,523 Likes on 1,203 Posts

Any of the ones from Amazon will be fine. I usually search for 50/50 300/600 weather proof LEDs. This will bring up plenty. They are all roughly the same you just have to make sure of color temp.

They are encased in silicon and have 3M backing with areas you can cut for whatever length you want.
The following users liked this post:
Capt. Dan (03-10-2016)
Old 03-10-2016, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by King216
Did you go with the wired one or the automatic wireless one? I want to install this on my truck too but don't feel like wiring it. Also, do you have a cover on your bed?
Mine are wired into the dome lights so whenever a door opens, or the interior light switch is on or you click the locking remote they come on. Easy install, works well so far.

I encased all the wiring in flex tubes and silicone it in the corners of the bed to keep them out of the way and looking clean. I also used the flex tubes and wire ties to secure everything underneath.
sigma pi (03-11-2016)
Old 03-10-2016, 10:51 PM
GDN

Received 75 Likes on 67 Posts

For some interiors - there is a really good kit from Opt7 that will still give you room to personalize and do your own thing. There are a couple of threads with install and wiring information. Search this forum for Opt7, purchase from Amazon.
Capt. Dan (03-11-2016)
Old 03-11-2016, 12:38 PM

Received 328 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by Capt. Dan
Mine are wired into the dome lights so whenever a door opens, or the interior light switch is on or you click the locking remote they come on. Easy install, works well so far.

I encased all the wiring in flex tubes and silicone it in the corners of the bed to keep them out of the way and looking clean. I also used the flex tubes and wire ties to secure everything underneath.
nice and clean!
Old 04-03-2016, 09:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You said you wired your bed lights to come on with the dome lights or interior lights. Can you share a pic of what you tapped into please

Thank you
Old 04-04-2016, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by KevinBahr
You said you wired your bed lights to come on with the dome lights or interior lights. Can you share a pic of what you tapped into please

Thank you
Hey Kevin,
I ordered the kit from F150 LEDS and they have a decent vide on on how to install them, check out this link:
http://www.f150leds.com/f150ledbedkit
The instructions come with a color chart to identify which wires you use for your particular truck. In my case they were right on target.

The only confusing part for me, which the video doesn't help with, is that each side of the bed wires into that sides wiring harness. I assumed they would all wire in together on the same side, but the wires are not long enough to do that.

Let me know if I can help with any specific questions, the install was pretty easy, I took the most time getting the strips to stay in place with the supplied sealant (I bought another tube to supplement it).
Old 04-04-2016, 12:07 PM

Received 86 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Capt. Dan
Hey Kevin, I ordered the kit from F150 LEDS and they have a decent vide on on how to install them, check out this link: http://www.f150leds.com/f150ledbedkit The instructions come with a color chart to identify which wires you use for your particular truck. In my case they were right on target. The only confusing part for me, which the video doesn't help with, is that each side of the bed wires into that sides wiring harness. I assumed they would all wire in together on the same side, but the wires are not long enough to do that. Let me know if I can help with any specific questions, the install was pretty easy, I took the most time getting the strips to stay in place with the supplied sealant (I bought another tube to supplement it).
you can also tap into your taillights, its the easiest in my opinion. Then it's on like your cargo light. However you may not like this if you don't have a tonneau cover because it'll always be on when you're driving too. Up to you.

Quick Reply: LED strip light sources