Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Led light bar wiring

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2016, 01:20 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Led light bar wiring

Hi to all of you
I’m about to buy a Led light bar and I would like to supply the power to one on/off switch from two different source, one would be using the high beam from the inside cabin and the other from the battery both of them are going to the relay.

I made a sketch with no fuses and grounds, I didn’t put any for clearness but they are all going to be there. I would like to know what are your thinking about it, Do I need a special switch (3,4,5pins) and relay to make this work.

My truck is a F150 2014 XTR with a towing package, for the inside source high beam, watt is the color of the wire that I should use to splice in. For the led bar it is rated at 29 Amps, will the alternator have any trouble feeding the power to this light

Any info will be appreciated.
Thanks’
Attached Thumbnails Led light bar wiring-40_led_light_bar.jpg  
Old 01-26-2016, 05:19 AM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

You could do an on-off-on switch have the middle terminal (off) connected to lights then both (on) terminals wired to seperate inputs
Old 01-26-2016, 10:10 AM
F150 Owner & Operator

Received 297 Likes on 202 Posts

I see that your wanting an "on-off-on" switch and looking for 2 different powered sources.
Most simply just have it triggered by the high beam do when you turn your high beams off, the bright led bar would also go off.
There are a few ways to do that depending on the switch too...

But...
Here's a basic wiring diagram.
It shows a "pair" of lights, but this applies to a led light bar as well.
Hope it helps!

Last edited by KustomFX; 01-26-2016 at 05:24 PM.
Old 01-26-2016, 10:27 AM

Received 228 Likes on 175 Posts

I have a diagram with a DP DT switch. Let get to a PC and I will load it.
Old 01-26-2016, 10:44 AM

Received 228 Likes on 175 Posts

Replace Courtesy Lights input with your High Beam Power indicator, and the other source is keyed power, if you only want it on when the truck is running, I had a set of lights on my 07 wired that way, it worked great.

Old 01-26-2016, 11:21 AM

Received 85 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Marsju
Hi to all of you
I’m about to buy a Led light bar and I would like to supply the power to one on/off switch from two different source, one would be using the high beam from the inside cabin and the other from the battery both of them are going to the relay.

I made a sketch with no fuses and grounds, I didn’t put any for clearness but they are all going to be there. I would like to know what are your thinking about it, Do I need a special switch (3,4,5pins) and relay to make this work.

My truck is a F150 2014 XTR with a towing package, for the inside source high beam, watt is the color of the wire that I should use to splice in. For the led bar it is rated at 29 Amps, will the alternator have any trouble feeding the power to this light

Any info will be appreciated.
Thanks’
My only question is why do you want the light switch to have power from two different sources?

If you use a 4 pin relay: Wire the high lights directly to #86 this will allow the highlights to act like a switch for the relay. Then you can also wire the switch to #86 on the relay to use the light bar when you desire.

If you use a 5 pin relay just disregard #87a completely.
The following users liked this post:
Marsju (01-26-2016)
Old 01-26-2016, 11:26 AM

Received 85 Likes on 67 Posts

I think this would work better.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Rear Facing lights copy.pdf (37.7 KB, 412 views)
sigma pi (01-26-2016)
Old 01-26-2016, 11:27 AM
New Guy

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Marsju
Hi to all of you I’m about to buy a Led light bar and I would like to supply the power to one on/off switch from two different source, one would be using the high beam from the inside cabin and the other from the battery both of them are going to the relay. I made a sketch with no fuses and grounds, I didn’t put any for clearness but they are all going to be there. I would like to know what are your thinking about it, Do I need a special switch (3,4,5pins) and relay to make this work. My truck is a F150 2014 XTR with a towing package, for the inside source high beam, watt is the color of the wire that I should use to splice in. For the led bar it is rated at 29 Amps, will the alternator have any trouble feeding the power to this light Any info will be appreciated. Thanks’
What your trying to do will work very easily, you just need a double throw single pole switch and wire it to feed one accessory from two different sources rather than feeding to accessories from one source, it quite simple and your general schematic is quite close, depending on what style of switch you want the number of pins will vary though, due to indicating LEDs, a carling style switch will be seven pins
Old 01-26-2016, 03:50 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Hi to all of you and many thanks’ for the quick response
diegoo.jayjay:My only question is why do you want the light switch to have power from two different sources? The main reason that I want two source is if for any reason a Cop stop me for a verification and they ask me to turn on the lights High/lowbeam/brakes/flashers the last thing that I want is the led bar to turn on when they would ask me to turn on the high beams on. When driving on country roads while having my high beam on and I meet an incoming car I don't want to start searching for a toggle switch, running while running the low beam on or no lights at all I might also want to use the light bar.

If you usea 4 pin relay: Wire the high lights directly to #86 this will allow the highlights to act like a switch for the relay. Then you can also wire the switch to #86 on the relay to use the light bar when you desire, Is there a problem connection two source to the relay EX:feedback to the switch.

MD tuxeco:your general schematic is quite close, What am I missing?

a carlingstyle switch will be seven pins, any suggestion or part number.

One more time
Thank you for your time
Old 01-26-2016, 04:11 PM
New Guy

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts

Your not missing anything really, I plan on doing this exact thing as soon as Amazon delivers my stuff, if you look up a double throw single pole switch you will have exactly what you need, you would wire the two sources to the outer poles of the switch and the center pole would feed the relay, so you just have two lines going to the relay instead of one, the number of pins on the switch has more to do with LEDs lugging on the switch really
Marsju (01-26-2016)

Quick Reply: Led light bar wiring