Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lease question

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2013, 12:34 PM

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Lease question

I have never leased a vehicle before, looking for some guidance. I've heard a variety of "opinions" on the topic from people I've talked to, but thought I'd pose the question here. I recently leased a 2013 F150. Does anyone know what ability I have to modify the vehicle? I've heard two different opinions from my dealer. The first opinion is that the truck has to be returned to stock before turning it in. The second opinion is that you can modify it "tastefully", but if you don't remove anything you've done, there is no value to those mods as part of the lease. In my case, I'm debating between a level vs lift kit (leaning towards lift) and some aftermarket wheels/tires. I'd like to know that I wouldn't have to pull either kit off before turning it back in, does anyone here have experience with that? It seems I should be able to do a lift since I could have leased it from the dealer that way, but not totally sure.
Old 03-06-2013, 01:01 PM
09xltd

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Had to be returned back to stock .. Try having your dealer instal level kit so then it will be ok. I have 13 jeep leased and I changed grille and some other stuff just had the dealer do
It all.
Old 03-06-2013, 01:02 PM

Received 398 Likes on 344 Posts

pretty sure lift kits for these truck require to cut bracketts off the frame. so it might not be easy to put back to stock.
Old 03-06-2013, 01:05 PM
09xltd

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

I wouldn't recommend a lift kit on a lease that's just my opinion I would never do it! But a level is a easy in and out job
Old 03-06-2013, 01:10 PM

Received 100 Likes on 89 Posts

Talk to the dealer. Different dealers have different policies, and different leases may have different requirements. My friend leased a RAM 3500, 6" lift with 38's, tuned, fenders modified to fit the tires, front bumper spaced forward, and a bunch of other goodies.

He gave it back to the dealer and another friend purchased it for blue book price.

Personally, I wouldn't dump thousands into a truck I had to give back, but that's just me.
Old 03-06-2013, 01:12 PM

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Very careful with a lease. Can't drive over your allowed mileage and it had better be in perfect condition when you return it or you will pay. Friend had a F150 leased and turned it in with a couple scratches and had to pay to have them fixed. Leases are a bad idea on pickups
Old 03-06-2013, 02:22 PM

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

I appreciate all of the feedback...I think I'll lean towards the level. Had I purchased, lift for sure, but sounds like it's best to play it safe. I may launch one more call to my dealer to be sure, but understand it's generally not the best idea to throw money into things that won't add to the value of the vehicle when it's turned back in.
Old 03-06-2013, 02:36 PM

Received 398 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by jweidert
I appreciate all of the feedback...I think I'll lean towards the level. Had I purchased, lift for sure, but sounds like it's best to play it safe. I may launch one more call to my dealer to be sure, but understand it's generally not the best idea to throw money into things that won't add to the value of the vehicle when it's turned back in.
definatly a good call to go with a level. alot easier to put back to stock if you have too. i have to put the stock exhaust on a sport trac for a customer this week because he is taking his lease back.
Old 03-06-2013, 03:08 PM

Received 131 Likes on 91 Posts

I'm really glad you posed this question because I had considered leasing my next truck but if I'm going to get killed for customization then maybe it's not worth it. I have a BedSlide (holes in bed of truck) and have enjoyed little things like LED lights in the bed / mirrors, etc and some are easier than others to revert completely back to stock. I hate to pay "twice" for modifications.
Old 03-06-2013, 03:47 PM

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by rbrais
Personally, I wouldn't dump thousands into a truck I had to give back, but that's just me.
+1

Quick Reply: Lease question