Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leaking Roof (Pictures) - Operation of Sunroof Drain?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2014, 11:16 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Leaking Roof (Pictures) - Operation of Sunroof Drain?

Last week I noticed a dark stain line all the way across the headliner about 6" from the back window like it had been wet at some point. Yesterday in a really hard rain storm I heard water running in the truck and looked back to see the whole back of the headliner soaked especially the corners. When I got home the rain stopped so I did the soap test and couldn't find a leak. Pulled the third brake light and the wires and inside compartment were dry.

Today I pulled the back and side of the headliner down, slid the sunroof open and poured some water in the drain troughs. Some of the water made it to the drain tubes, but most of the water drained out of the sunroof frame right beside where the drain tube fits on the sunroof frame. This happened on both sides.

Are these drain troughs suppossed to be sealed and drain water down the tubes even when the sunroof is open or does the design allow for the drain trough to leak water inside the cab when the sunroof is open? I appreciate any recommendations or other ides on this.

2010 F150 FX4 Extended Cab
Attached Thumbnails Leaking Roof (Pictures) - Operation of Sunroof Drain?-20140613_102204.jpg   Leaking Roof (Pictures) - Operation of Sunroof Drain?-20140613_102508.jpg  

Last edited by trollersteve; 06-13-2014 at 11:18 AM. Reason: Left out truck information
Old 06-13-2014, 11:40 AM

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

When I first got my truck after a hard rain storm I found water puddled on my back seat. After looking into all the possible places it could have come from, I found the drain tubes coming from the back corners of the sun roof were clogged. I pulled the tubes off and blew thru them to clear them out. I haven't had an issue with it since then.

Last edited by K9-Ex; 06-13-2014 at 11:43 AM.
Old 06-13-2014, 12:08 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I was hoping that would be the case with my situation, but both back tubes are completely clear. The water is leaking out before it gets to the tubes. It looks to be coming from around the cable just to the inside of of where the drain tube connects.

Originally Posted by K9-Ex
When I first got my truck after a hard rain storm I found water puddled on my back seat. After looking into all the possible places it could have come from, I found the drain tubes coming from the back corners of the sun roof were clogged. I pulled the tubes off and blew thru them to clear them out. I haven't had an issue with it since then.
Old 06-13-2014, 12:14 PM

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by trollersteve
I was hoping that would be the case with my situation, but both back tubes are completely clear. The water is leaking out before it gets to the tubes. It looks to be coming from around the cable just to the inside of of where the drain tube connects.
Make sure there isn't anything inside where those tubes slide onto also possibly slowing down the water from flowing freely. Other than that, I'm out of ideas..good luck
Old 09-05-2014, 04:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just noticed my headliner stained in the same location. Only difference is I don't have a sun roof. I pulled everything and it's all dry. Anyone else have this issue?
Old 09-05-2014, 06:49 PM

Received 50 Likes on 33 Posts

I remember seeing a post with some guys had a issue with the seal on the 3rd brake light leaking on the back of the cab

Last edited by cerhai; 09-05-2014 at 07:36 PM.
Old 11-05-2016, 08:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Same problem in my truck!

Did you ever figure out what was wrong. Was is a block drain tube? I have the same exact leak in my truck. The local Ford dealer has replaced the Sunroof tray twice and it continues to leak from the exact spot you have pointed out. Desperate here, so any help would be greatly appreciated!
Old 11-05-2016, 10:12 PM

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

The problem is a failed gasket on 3rd brakelight. This is very well documented. Google this and you will find the correct gasket that is actually double thickness. Corrects problem.
Old 11-06-2016, 07:29 AM
Gun Toting Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I guess the previous owner had that problem in my 2010. Their is a ton of silicone around the 3rd brake light lol. Figured it was a bad gasket. I guess I need to be unlazy and peel it all off and put on a new gasket. Luckily he must of caught it fast because no stains in the headliner.
Old 11-06-2016, 01:53 PM

Received 254 Likes on 210 Posts

The SAT radio antenna was also known to not be sealed properly and leak in the 09-10 trucks.

Quick Reply: Leaking Roof (Pictures) - Operation of Sunroof Drain?