Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

At ko or rugged terrain?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2012, 03:15 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default At ko or rugged terrain?

About to pull the trigger today. How are the rugged terrains holding up and performing off road in muddy conditions? I really want the at ko's but $500 cheaper and warranty is leaning me to the rugged terrains. Need experiences. Out of these two tires.
Old 12-17-2012, 03:31 PM

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

I was in the same boat. I read every review I could find. Most of them said the tread doesn't last long at all. Went with All Terrains. Where are you shopping for tires? Price difference in the set was less than 200 bucks for me. With mount, balance, align, tires and tax I paid $970 at discount tire. They are 275/70/18 btw.
Old 12-17-2012, 03:40 PM

the allt terrain KOs have very good tread life i have some on my play truck and they do very well in off road and sloppy muddy conditions i really do not recomend the rggued terrain at all
Old 12-17-2012, 04:27 PM
PPPPPuppy Power

Received 887 Likes on 653 Posts

What size?

Grandpas grocery getter has the ruggeds in 275/65/20, i think there are a few others that run them, but I can't remember.

I want the bfg at's for my next tire, but i don't want the eload in the 275/65.
Old 12-17-2012, 04:31 PM

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

For the road and mild off-road, the rugged terrains are a good tire. They ARE NOT an off road tire. Based on what I have seen (I am not an off road with my truck kinda guy), those that use them as off road complain of poor self cleaning and poor tread life. The on-road and dirt road folks seem to rate them as good. I can atest that they are great highway tires with great handling in both the dry and the wet. For the muddy stuff, I think you will prefer the BFG AT KO for sure.
Old 12-17-2012, 05:11 PM

$1175 for the rugged terrains (NOT RUGGED TRAILS) $1580 for the AT KO's. I don't ever plan on mudding my truck or using it as a toy. But I do use it as a tool. I very rarely have to go through something I don't want to just to get where I need to. The at ko's are 4 days out or I can get the rugged terrains right now. My impatience and wallet is leaning me towards the rugged terrains. You'll know how much I like them if after hunting season there is a freshly broken in set of rugged terrains for sale. Lol. Idk. Hope I'm making the right choice for my conditions.
Old 12-17-2012, 05:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the AT KO's before, they were great. But I do like the price range on the Rugged Terrains. The biggest question is will the BFG's out perform the Pirellis? Ive had bald tires that performed better in the snow and mucky conditions. I'll pay for the AT's but I'd like to save the money if the Rugged terrains will do the job. But i gotta get rid of those crappy Pirellis soon!
Old 12-17-2012, 05:21 PM

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

I was planning on getting Michelin LTX MS/2 but went with General Grabber AT2's. Very beefy tire and good price point along with great reviews if you aren't dead set on one of the two you mentioned. I picked up a full set, 255/70/17 for $800 installed with tax and disposal. Only have roughly 300 miles on so far but am very impressed with the handling especially for an all terrain tire. A little louder than stock but nothing to complain about. Give them a look if you have time.
Old 12-18-2012, 09:30 AM

Got the rugged terrains and I like the way they look and feel. Not too happy about the extra force I need to apply for braking however, this was expected. Not as much power loss as I expected and it is easy to live with. Took the truck down a muddy pipe line this morning to see how she does and I was very pleased with what I went through and how the truck performed. Would not plan on going through anything more than that. I'd prob have more confidence with the ya ko's but these will suit my NEEDS just fine. They are quiet on the highway with a very mild noise over stock but still sounds stock. I'm running 40 psi (anyone have suggestions on this). Will take some pics when I get off work today.
Old 12-18-2012, 09:32 AM

Btw. Very glad to have saved the chunk of change to get to the at ko's. with my needs I don't think I could have justified the extra money with the way these seem to perform.

Quick Reply: At ko or rugged terrain?