Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

King vs Fox vs ICON vs other...

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2015, 01:06 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default King vs Fox vs ICON vs other...

I have a 2014 FX4 with a 4inch lift and want to replace the front spacer as well as the stock coil over.
I am deciding between the "big three" in the front coil over department.
I do a lot of on-road highway driving but sometimes venture out onto the trail or the off road park.
What do you guys think?
Thanks!
Old 11-16-2015, 02:54 AM
Blackout

Received 228 Likes on 199 Posts

Iirc the only one that would be able to achieve a 4" or more lift is the Bds fox coilover. All of the others max at around 3".

As far as ride/quality, all are reputable companies that offer and f150 specific tuned coilover that perform great. I've had good luck with fox and icon in the past.
Old 11-16-2015, 03:49 AM

Originally Posted by one2nine
Iirc the only one that would be able to achieve a 4" or more lift is the Bds fox coilover. All of the others max at around 3".

As far as ride/quality, all are reputable companies that offer and f150 specific tuned coilover that perform great. I've had good luck with fox and icon in the past.
They all said that they can build me custom ones. Which ones do you run?
Old 11-16-2015, 07:38 PM
Blackout

Received 228 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by sicknick
They all said that they can build me custom ones. Which ones do you run?

Ah I was under the assumption you were looking at aftermarket replacements vs custom lengths. Honestly all are are great companies. I'm running fox coilovers now and can't complain. I absolutely loved my icon 2.5 setup I had on my superduty though.
The following users liked this post:
sicknick (11-20-2015)
Old 11-16-2015, 08:17 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

If you're gonna do a custom built, I would run the King. We sell custom Kings all day long and have never had a fitment issue. Also, whose 4" kit are you using? Make sure you pass that info on so they have all the specs to build the correct coilover.
Old 11-18-2015, 08:43 AM

Received 171 Likes on 127 Posts

depends on ride quality as well. King has been known to be the most harsh ride in general unless you lower the spring rate. I'd personally go with Icon first, Fox Second. shoot a line to Alex at F150lifts.com as he has accounts for both and can order you custom stuff as well.
Old 11-19-2015, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by joeami
If you're gonna do a custom built, I would run the King. We sell custom Kings all day long and have never had a fitment issue. Also, whose 4" kit are you using? Make sure you pass that info on so they have all the specs to build the correct coilover.
Thanks for the response! Are the Kings any good on road? I know they are beasts off-road but I do a lot of on road, and ride quality on both sides in important to me. Do you know if off road quality would be affected if I told them to ajust the spring rate?
What do you run btw?
Old 11-19-2015, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by one2nine
Ah I was under the assumption you were looking at aftermarket replacements vs custom lengths. Honestly all are are great companies. I'm running fox coilovers now and can't complain. I absolutely loved my icon 2.5 setup I had on my superduty though.

How much off road vs off road driving do you do? How do they ride on road?
Old 11-19-2015, 05:58 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by sicknick
Thanks for the response! Are the Kings any good on road? I know they are beasts off-road but I do a lot of on road, and ride quality on both sides in important to me. Do you know if off road quality would be affected if I told them to ajust the spring rate?
What do you run btw?
I'm still running stock, but I will be moving to King. For me, since I'm about a 20 minute drive from King's headquarters, I could easily go down there and have them re-valve their shocks. Also, the quick turnaround time on rebuilding the coilovers and shocks is what made the decision for me. Fox and Icon are at least a 2 week turnaround time and your truck is either sitting, or riding on junk shocks with a spacer.

If you call over to King, they're really good at making custom orders to whatever specs you're looking for. We've run their coilovers on all kinds of trucks and have yet to have a single complaint about them riding too harshly. In fact, we've had more negative comments about Fox than King, fwiw. But, yes, they are an offroad company at heart.
sicknick (11-20-2015)
Old 11-19-2015, 06:59 PM

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

My truck sees 95% street and I have no problems with Kings.

You can add Compression adjusters too so you can adjust from super soft to super firm.

JT
sicknick (11-20-2015)

Quick Reply: King vs Fox vs ICON vs other...