Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

keyfob issue?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2017, 07:28 AM
Forks your lift

Received 104 Likes on 83 Posts

Default keyfob issue?

So when i first got my truck the unlock button on my key/keyfob worked great. unlocked all doors on one touch of the button. One day i was farting around with the settings and made it so i had to hit the unlock button twice to unlock all doors, once to unlock just the driverside door. After several trips to and from places with my 2 year old, i decided it was much easier for the one touch all unlock to get her into the back seat.

now here is where i started noticing things. It rarely unlocks with just one touch of the unlock button. I now have to hold it down for a few seconds before any doors unlock, and even then, most of the time its within close range of the truck itself.

is the battery in the key on its last leg? if so, how do i pop it open to replace the battery?

how do i deactivate "mykey"? Does this have anything to do with it?

and finally, where do i get a few key made (dealer cut me a new key, but it doesn't have the attached fob) without spending $200 on the key/fob combo alone?
Old 08-22-2017, 10:40 AM

Received 2,101 Likes on 1,725 Posts

Well, the manual is pretty good at explaining Mykey, you should check that out. Mykey is more for kids driving than you driving your own truck, so if your key is a mykey, I'd change it to standard. But popping it open just needs a coin or screwdriver, there is a gap in one corner. Battery is easy to check first.

The forscan thread has a lot of info on programming keys. How many keys do you have? Depending on what you have, you may be able to save some money. But, real keys are not $5, you'll have to spend something.

There is also a mod that can be done to the antenna in the truck. This should help with the range for the key, if that is the real problem. https://www.f150forum.com/f38/2013-1...ht=antenna+fix
Old 08-22-2017, 10:25 PM

Received 86 Likes on 77 Posts

From the owners manual

Press and hold both the lock and unlock buttons on the remote control for four seconds to disable or enable two-stage unlocking. Disabling two-stage unlocking allows all vehicle doors to unlock with one press of the button. The turn signals will flash twice to indicate the unlocking mode was changed. The unlocking mode will be applied to the remote control and keyless entry keypad (if equipped).

There is also a setting in the instrument cluster display if your truck is so equipped.

Last edited by rrp0968; 08-22-2017 at 10:33 PM.
The following users liked this post:
scootdaddy (08-24-2017)
Old 08-23-2017, 07:14 AM
Forks your lift

Received 104 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by rrp0968
From the owners manual

Press and hold both the lock and unlock buttons on the remote control for four seconds to disable or enable two-stage unlocking. Disabling two-stage unlocking allows all vehicle doors to unlock with one press of the button. The turn signals will flash twice to indicate the unlocking mode was changed. The unlocking mode will be applied to the remote control and keyless entry keypad (if equipped).

There is also a setting in the instrument cluster display if your truck is so equipped.

yeah i was able to change it back and forth through the dash cluster. Its just after i did the initial switch, is when it seems i now have to hold down my unlock button, instead of just pressing it for a quick second.