Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Key program

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2018, 08:01 PM

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts
Default Key program

Can some one tell me how much does ford charge for programming keys to my truck. Thank you

Last edited by ssam98; 11-13-2018 at 08:05 PM.
Old 11-13-2018, 08:08 PM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

Ford won't be programming them, your local dealer will and that's on a dealer by dealer basis as they are all independent businesses. Typically a 1 hr labor charge so call around and ask for hourly labor rates.
Old 11-13-2018, 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by Rnlcomp
Ford won't be programming them, your local dealer will and that's on a dealer by dealer basis as they are all independent businesses. Typically a 1 hr labor charge so call around and ask for hourly labor rates.
yes the dealer, that’s What I mean by saying ford, the dealer is ford and some ford dealers are owned by ford. But thank you so much.
Old 11-13-2018, 08:27 PM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

Originally Posted by ssam98

yes the dealer, that’s What I mean by saying ford, the dealer is ford and some ford dealers are owned by ford. But thank you so much.
Ford does not own ANY dealers. They are all independent businesses. Ford does NOT sell vehicles to the general public. They sell to dealers only. I trust this clears up any confusion you may have had.
Old 11-13-2018, 08:45 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

If you already have two sets of keys, you can just have your new key cut at your local hardware store and program it yourself. Check out this youtube video.
Old 11-13-2018, 09:00 PM

Received 135 Likes on 122 Posts

^^^ Agreed - if you're in possession of (2) keys that are currently programmed, no need for FoMoCo dealer programming. If only (1) key is available, prepare to pay more.

When my truck was new, I wanted a 3rd key kept in reserve. Bought a programmable blank on eBay, had it cut to match at local hardware store and successfully followed the Owners Manual procedure shown on pages 60-61 as described here:

Programming a Spare Key
Note:You can program a maximum of eight coded keys to your vehicle. Only four of these can be integrated keyhead transmitters.

You can program your own integrated keyhead transmitter or standard SecuriLock coded keys to your vehicle. This procedure will program both the engine immobilizer keycode and the remote entry portion of the remote control to your vehicle.

Only use integrated keyhead transmitters or standard SecuriLock keys. You must have two previously programmed coded keys and the new unprogrammed key readily accessible. See an authorized dealer to have the spare key programmed if two previously programmed coded keys are not available.

Read and understand the entire procedure before you begin.

1. Insert the first previously programmed coded key into the ignition.
2. Switch the ignition from off to on. Keep the ignition on for at least three seconds, but no more than 10 seconds.
3. Switch the ignition off and remove the first coded key from the ignition.
4. After three seconds but within 10 seconds of switching the ignition off, insert the second previously coded key into the ignition.
5. Switch the ignition from off to on. Keep the ignition on for at least three seconds, but no more than 10 seconds.
6. Switch the ignition off and remove the second previously programmed coded key from the ignition.
7. After three seconds but within 10 seconds of switching the ignition off and removing the previously
programmed coded key, insert the new unprogrammed key into the ignition.
8. Switch the ignition from off to on. Keep the ignition on for at least six seconds until you hear the door locks cycle.
9. Remove the newly programmed coded key from the ignition. The key will start the engine if programming is successful. You can operate the remote entry system if the new key is an integrated keyhead transmitter. If programming was not successful, wait 20 seconds and repeat Steps 1 through 8. If you are still unsuccessful, take your vehicle to an authorized dealer.
Old 11-13-2018, 11:35 PM

Received 66 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Rnlcomp
Ford does not own ANY dealers. They are all independent businesses. Ford does NOT sell vehicles to the general public. They sell to dealers only. I trust this clears up any confusion you may have had.
Ford bought several dealerships back around the turn of the century, but they sold them off pretty quickly. I think they ran afoul of state regulations, and I'm pretty sure some dealer organizations sued. Some dealers give Ford the biggest black eyes imaginable, and there's not a heck of a lot Ford can do about it.
The following users liked this post:
ssam98 (11-14-2018)
Old 11-14-2018, 08:16 AM

Received 172 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by ssam98
Can some one tell me how much does ford charge for programming keys to my truck. Thank you
Just for programming, or to purchase, cut & program? The keys themselves are pretty expensive so that's a big price difference.

It's already been said, but if you have 2 keys (orginial, not cloned) then you can program them yourself. A hardware store will usually cut them for a couple bucks. A locksmith would probably charge a little more, but likely less than a dealership. Also, if you are
Old 11-14-2018, 09:25 AM

That’s what’s happen to my local dealer, but I did not want to go back and forth with Rnlcomp, thank you for making it clear.
Old 11-14-2018, 11:02 AM

Ok Second question I am installing the oem remote start it comes with two keys I will program keys, will the remote start work or do I have to get programs as well ?

Quick Reply: Key program