Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just had a Viper 5901 Install, and now have some issues

Old 10-17-2010, 10:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just had a Viper 5901 Install, and now have some issues

On Saturday, I had a viper 5901 install in my 2010 F-150 Screw. I have had a remote start install before, but this is my first remote and security system. Here are a few of the weird/problems I have had: (the factor door entry is still install and fully function)

1. Every time I go to lock the door, the doors lock like they should, but on the LCD remote it show that a door is open. After a few seconds it goes away.

2. A few times I have had the siren go off when I remote start the truck up and drive off like normal with the key in. So I have to hit the unlock button on the LCD remote to deactivate the alarm.

3. Lets say that I remote start the truck up and then turn off the remote start with the LCD remote. My truck navigation system / radio continues to stay on. The only way and time it will turn off is when I open up one of the doors to the truck.

Has another one else with the viper 5901 had any of these issues?

I'm thinking about maybe downgrading to the viper 5501 if these continues.

Last edited by viper775; 10-17-2010 at 10:32 PM. Reason: Spell check
Old 10-17-2010, 10:44 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

1. Shouldn't be a big deal, it goes away, let it update.

2. You didn't hit unlock to get into the truck to begin with? It might work better to disarm the alarm before you drive away. Most of the time that means unlocking the door to get in...

3. No different than sitting in the truck with the engine running and turning it off with the key... everything will stay on until you open the door, or wait 5 minutes or so.
Old 10-17-2010, 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by ftrucktough
1. Shouldn't be a big deal, it goes away, let it update.

2. You didn't hit unlock to get into the truck to begin with? It might work better to disarm the alarm before you drive away. Most of the time that means unlocking the door to get in...

3. No different than sitting in the truck with the engine running and turning it off with the key... everything will stay on until you open the door, or wait 5 minutes or so.

What do you mean by "let it update"?
Old 10-17-2010, 10:54 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by viper775
What do you mean by "let it update"?
You said yourself that it goes away... leave it that. Don't be impatient... if it takes a few seconds to show that a door is not open... then it takes a few seconds. Just let it
Old 10-18-2010, 06:21 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have to wait for my power running boards to go up until I lock it or I will get that "door is open" also. So pretty much just wait 5-10 secs after closing your door and that shouldn't happen.
Old 10-18-2010, 09:23 PM

Viper775,

I have the Viper remote start (without the alarm) on my 2010 Lariat and I get the door open chirp on my remote after I lock the doors also. I asked my installer about it and he said that the remote is detecting that the dome light & cargo light are still on. They stay on for a few seconds after locking the truck because that is how the lights are programmed from the factory. It sounds like yours is doing the same thing.

I love the Viper system and the range is great. The only problem I have had was the truck would start when I didn't want it to because the buttons on the remote are so sensitive and easy to push that I would hit them while the remote was in my pocket. I called Viper and they walked me through a sequence of pushing different buttons and now my remote will go into a standby mode if any buttons are not pushed after 30 seconds. To exit standby, I just have to hit the function button followed by the unlock button then hit whatever command I wish to use. Just thought I would pass this along to you.
Old 12-05-2010, 08:06 AM

On the 5902 this is what we did

We diode isolated the pin switches in the door and sent those to the alarm input. No issues at all. Sounds like there is an install error. Although acceptable that would not be acceptable to me.
Old 12-05-2010, 08:26 AM

I agree, i had the same problem with my 5901. I took it back to the dealer and they isolated the domelight. Alarm still works like advertised minus the door open alert. Be advised though, the Alarm when it detects a fault isolates those areas until the fault is removed. Meaning the viper alarm will not go off for the duration of the dome light being lit, or whatever fault it detects is present. Once it goes away then the alarm will monitor that system again. So, if you leave it you wont have any issues, you'll get the alarm but with in 10-15 seconds all is normal again.
Old 12-05-2010, 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by hopp150
I agree, i had the same problem with my 5901. I took it back to the dealer and they isolated the domelight. Alarm still works like advertised minus the door open alert. Be advised though, the Alarm when it detects a fault isolates those areas until the fault is removed. Meaning the viper alarm will not go off for the duration of the dome light being lit, or whatever fault it detects is present. Once it goes away then the alarm will monitor that system again. So, if you leave it you wont have any issues, you'll get the alarm but with in 10-15 seconds all is normal again.

Not sure what you was really trying to say. But if each door switch is isolated you can just ignore the domelight. The idea is that the switch directly triggers the alarm input, no annoying delays or other stuff to worry about.
Old 12-07-2010, 08:31 AM
Ford Tech

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I want to get the viper 5901 but does anyone have the outside keypad? Will this still work to disarm the alarm? I will be installing this myself and want to know what wire to hoo up to what.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Just had a Viper 5901 Install, and now have some issues