Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

IWE noises (with video)

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2015, 06:40 PM

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Default IWE noises (with video)

I bought a 2010 F-150 XLT with 20,000 miles on it in December 2011. I now have 52000 on it.
I started hearing the strange noise a year or so ago very sporadically. I didn’t know what it was, but Mr Google and this site informed me about the IWE issues.

I took it to the dealer in February, because heard the noise just about every drive. I captured videos of the noises on my iPhone car camera application, and shared them with the dealer.

from Mar3,2015 noise @ 35 seconds
From Mar2, 2015 noise @ 1:45

Dealer couldn’t hear the noise, and didn't see any vacuum problems, but replaced both IWEs anyway. I got the truck back, but still heard the noise, so I scheduled to take the truck back into the dealer. Before I could even take it in, I started hearing a vibration / humming noise from the hubs.
The dealer replaced both hubs and IWEs and said the (then new) IWE’s had failed and took out the hubs.

I got the truck back from the 2nd dealer visit, and still heard the IWE noise a couple days later. (Luckily, I didn’t hear the humming / vibration noise anymore). The dealer said the lines, check valves, and solenoid weren’t covered in the drivetrain warranty, so I replaced the cheapest / easiest thing first: the check valve nearest the solenoid. It cost me less than 5 dollars. I drove the truck for two weeks after that and never heard the noise during that time. At that time the temps in Minnesota warmed up around 20 degrees, so I wasn’t sure if the temp change did it, or the new check valve.

We use the truck for a trip vehicle, for hauling stuff (dirtbikes, etc), and when it snows. In the summer we don’t drive it much. (I have a sports car and motorcycles for the summer.)
Coming out of Duluth on July 5th, in 92 degree temps, we heard the noise again returning from a family trip to the north shore. Then we heard it again leaving St Cloud a month later.

In late August / early September I started driving the truck to work to see if the noise is still around. I hear it every 2nd drive now. So I took it to the dealer last Thursday. I have new videos with the noises.

from Sept9, 2015 noise right away.

Also twice, while making right hand turns, I have heard loud grinding noises, (like when the truck is in 4WD, and you to around a turn type of grinding). I do not have videos of those yet.

The dealer cannot hear the noises (either the IWE or the grinding), and apparently need to hear the noises themselves, (i.e. my videos aren’t enough), before they will look into my truck further.

So after dinner tonight I’ll pick up my truck from the dealer and I’ll most likely replace the vacuum lines, splitters, and solenoid myself.
Any other ideas? Should I try another dealer?

(Also, sorry for the length)
Old 09-15-2015, 07:08 PM

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I've had my dealer replace mine 4 times. They do t know what's causing it. They blame my levelling kit. The shop the put the level in say it will not affect the actuators. So I don't know. Right now the truck is on warranty so they cover it. I don't want this to keep happening after warranty is up.
Old 09-15-2015, 07:46 PM

Received 152 Likes on 130 Posts

Default IWE noises (with video)

My 2011 did the same thing. I had to hop a curb to park and it started making the noise. I ordered one from amazon for 68$ and replaced it my self. I've had the front end apart before so it only took about 30min. The actuator is what your hearing the plastic parts breaks and splits in two. I didn't read the entire post but I will . If you haven't done so yet jack up the truck while it's running and in 2wd and spin the each tire to see if the axle or cv shaft spins. If it doesn't then it's good and if it spins while in 2wd it's bad. If the cv shaft isn't seated into the hub all the way it will fail. I thought it was my cv joints at first since I pulled one out by accident and had to cut the boot and fit all the ball bearings back in and put a hose clamp on it. Is your truck leveled and if so how much.

Last edited by alpinestar1123; 09-15-2015 at 07:53 PM.
Old 09-16-2015, 09:03 AM

No level. 100% stock.

I picked up the truck and on my drive home from the dealer, I heard the IWE noise again briefly. They had the truck Thursday through Tuesday, and didn't hear the noise. I asked them to drive it a lot, figuring they'd hear it.

Old 09-16-2015, 10:27 AM

Received 152 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by MNMike
No level. 100% stock.

I picked up the truck and on my drive home from the dealer, I heard the IWE noise again briefly. They had the truck Thursday through Tuesday, and didn't hear the noise. I asked them to drive it a lot, figuring they'd hear it.

If you have time and the tools to do it you should take it apart and see if the actuator is broken
Old 09-16-2015, 10:42 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My 2010 was also making a similar noise. It sounded like a rattle and only when under high torque such as going up a small hill with low RPM. I pulled off the check valve and replaced it. I haven't heard anything since then. The old valve appear to have some dirt in it which caused it to fail. It is only a $10 part, so it might be worth a shot.
Amazon.com: Motorcraft YG429 Vacuum Checking Switch: Automotive Amazon.com: Motorcraft YG429 Vacuum Checking Switch: Automotive
Old 09-16-2015, 08:11 PM
Ford Customer Service

Received 805 Likes on 518 Posts

Originally Posted by MNMike
I bought a 2010 F-150 XLT with 20,000 miles on it in December 2011. I now have 52000 on it.
I started hearing the strange noise a year or so ago very sporadically. I didn’t know what it was, but Mr Google and this site informed me about the IWE issues.

I took it to the dealer in February, because heard the noise just about every drive. I captured videos of the noises on my iPhone car camera application, and shared them with the dealer.

Dealer couldn’t hear the noise, and didn't see any vacuum problems, but replaced both IWEs anyway. I got the truck back, but still heard the noise, so I scheduled to take the truck back into the dealer. Before I could even take it in, I started hearing a vibration / humming noise from the hubs.
The dealer replaced both hubs and IWEs and said the (then new) IWE’s had failed and took out the hubs.

I got the truck back from the 2nd dealer visit, and still heard the IWE noise a couple days later. (Luckily, I didn’t hear the humming / vibration noise anymore). The dealer said the lines, check valves, and solenoid weren’t covered in the drivetrain warranty, so I replaced the cheapest / easiest thing first: the check valve nearest the solenoid. It cost me less than 5 dollars. I drove the truck for two weeks after that and never heard the noise during that time. At that time the temps in Minnesota warmed up around 20 degrees, so I wasn’t sure if the temp change did it, or the new check valve.

We use the truck for a trip vehicle, for hauling stuff (dirtbikes, etc), and when it snows. In the summer we don’t drive it much. (I have a sports car and motorcycles for the summer.)
Coming out of Duluth on July 5th, in 92 degree temps, we heard the noise again returning from a family trip to the north shore. Then we heard it again leaving St Cloud a month later.

In late August / early September I started driving the truck to work to see if the noise is still around. I hear it every 2nd drive now. So I took it to the dealer last Thursday. I have new videos with the noises.

Also twice, while making right hand turns, I have heard loud grinding noises, (like when the truck is in 4WD, and you to around a turn type of grinding). I do not have videos of those yet.

The dealer cannot hear the noises (either the IWE or the grinding), and apparently need to hear the noises themselves, (i.e. my videos aren’t enough), before they will look into my truck further.

So after dinner tonight I’ll pick up my truck from the dealer and I’ll most likely replace the vacuum lines, splitters, and solenoid myself.
Any other ideas? Should I try another dealer?

(Also, sorry for the length)
Hi MNMike,

I'll loop in your regional customer service manager to help keep the noise down. Please PM your name, best contact number, VIN, and dealership information; I'll get started.

Chad
Old 09-16-2015, 09:23 PM

Thanks Chad!

PM with information sent.

Also, I just ordered a couple check valves from Amazon. Thanks for the part number Jon.
Old 09-18-2015, 12:50 PM

Default part numbers and prices for my 2010

So doing a little research on the parts involved with this issue, I compiled part numbers and costs for each for my 2010:
In order of cheapest to most expensive:

1) check valve:
Motorcraft YG429 Vacuum Checking Switch ~$10.00

2) solenoid:
7L1Z*9H465*B
NEW OEM VACUUM CONTROL SOLENOID NAVIGATOR EXPEDITION F150 F250 F350 F450 F550
~$30.00

3) AL3Z 7A785-F vacuum lines from Ebay around $70.00
OEM 2010 Ford F-150 F 150 4x4 Auto Hub Lock Vacuum TUBE - Lines, Tee, Valve F150
~$80.00

4) IWE actuators
7L1Z-3C247-A
IWE 4WD Auto Hub Lock Actuator
~$130 each side
or Dorman 600-105 4Wd locking hub Actuator $65.81

Assuming the dealer decides not to help, I'll start replacing parts, cheapest to more expensive, until it's fixed. I hope I don't replace all 4 and still hear the noise, like some have.
Old 09-29-2015, 10:26 AM

Default Update - 2nd dealer - no luck -

The regional Ford Customer Service Rep recommended I try a different dealer, to see if they could figure it out. (Not a specific dealer, just a different one).

So dealer #2 had my truck from last Wednesday to Today (Tuesday). I talked to them many times during this time and they are unable to hear the noise after driving it 80 miles. I shared with them my videos on youtube, so they could hear the noises. They need to be in the truck and hear it themselves.

I will pick up the truck today. The Ford check valves have arrived in the mail, so I will replace it the next time I hear the noise.

I'm very disappointed in Ford and their inability to resolve this issue.

I love my truck, but every time I hear the noise it chips away a bit of my truck-love...

Quick Reply: IWE noises (with video)