Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Iowa Dealer Rant

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2013, 01:51 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Iowa Dealer Rant

Called Gabus Ford in Des Moines, Ia. about purchasing a KR. I received a call back this week and told them what I am willing to pay. The white KR she quoted me was above what i was finding at other dealers but she (saleswoman) told me she had a couple of KRs on the lot to choose from at the price I was willing to pay. I confirmed that I wanted the 5.0, moonroof, navigation and she said I had a choice of green or blue.

Today is my wife's and I day off so we load up the 18 month old and make the 2 hour drive. We get there and cannot find the KRs. She states they are off the property. No big deal as we drive there in a matter of minutes. We spot one of the KRs and the first thing I see is that it is not equipped with a sunroof. We find the other KR to discover the same thing. At first the saleswoman denies telling me they were equipped with a sunroof. I assure her I would not drive a four hour round trip with a 18 mo old hoping that I was correct. She admits that she sometimes make mistakes. I understand people make mistakes, I just wish she did not make it twice as I liked both colors. I was also taken back when my question about some of the buttons on the dash was answered with, "I am not sure what that does."

We get back to dealership and I see if I can salvage our trip with the original white KR. My wife, daughter and I walk across the street for a late lunch while they evaluate our trade in value on my current F150.

We have our trade in value (same as she quoted us on the phone) and she speaks to the manager. The white KR now costs $500 more than the price I was given on the phone.

I asked to speak with the manager. I explain the misquote we received about the white KR and the misinformation about the 2 KRs regarding price and options. He says he is sorry and then gives me this glossed over, long uncomfortable stare. After a couple awkward silent moments I continue the conversation by saying I was told for (x) price I would be looking at two KRs today with (x) options by his saleswoman over the phone. I stated hearing this is what made us make the two hour drive to visit the dealership. He shook his head and said that was on me. His reply was that I should of done my own research. I replied by telling him that talking on the phone to his saleswoman was my research.

Things get really rocky from here.

I asked if we could possibly work on the price of the white KR after all that had happened. He exclaimed that he will not except a penny less than the first price he gave me. Again with the stare. At this point I get the feeling his mind was elsewhere and helping my family was the furthest from his mind. I then asked him if he would like to reimburse us for fuel and our lunch as a result of the misinformation we have received. Again, long stare looking like he had other things to do. With the repetition of lack of words and long silent stares by the manager I decided to throw in the towel as nothing is or will be accomplished.

As a result.......

I think today I caught a saleswoman in some little white lies ranging from $500-$2,300 that maybe someone buying a $50k+ vehicle may overlook just to go home with a new truck. Her lack of knowledge on a vehicle that overwhelmed their lot was disconcerting. A misquote on one truck and wrong pricing with options on two other separate trucks is just too much coincidence for me from a saleswoman that has been at the dealership for that long.

I believe I caught the manager on the day he woke up on the wrong side of the bed. As soon as he walked out of his office we felt more like a necessary inconvenience vs. a potential customer. I was also taken back by the fact that he would be stone faced after hearing what we were told that enticed us to make the drive. Partner that with the "that is on you" quote and I was done.

We are still looking for our next F150KR. We will never consider a vehicle purchase from Gabus Ford.
The following users liked this post:
Half_ton (10-26-2013)
Old 10-26-2013, 03:02 AM

Received 884 Likes on 672 Posts

I haven't heard anything good about Gabus. The way I see it, car buying is all about finding the least worst dealer, not the best one.

There is a Ford Rep on here if you want to give them your info. Not sure where it will go.
The following users liked this post:
chlngfyo2 (10-26-2013)
Old 10-26-2013, 03:08 AM

Received 74 Likes on 50 Posts

I tried emailing them a few times and not one person from the dealership responded.

I decided after 2 tries they didn't want my business. I live about 200 miles from them and I wasn't willing to make the drive down there and be disappointed.

Sorry for your misfortune with this dealer.
Customer service isn't what it used to be, now the customer is never right.
Old 10-26-2013, 03:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've only heard horror stories from Gabus. My dad just bought a '13 F150 Platinum from Stiver's in Waukee and had A+ service and got a great deal. If you'd like some info on who we worked with shoot me a PM.

Good luck on your search!
Old 10-26-2013, 05:01 AM
NPC

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

We had great luck with Stivers as well. Dealers vary and so do employees at each dealer. I wouldn't give them my business after what you went through either.
Old 10-26-2013, 06:42 AM
F150 Greenhorn

Received 109 Likes on 93 Posts

That's ****ty, man! Where in Iowa? I'm in Burlington and had good luck at Shottenkirk in West Burlington.
Old 10-26-2013, 09:01 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am in Omaha and my dealer did a dealer trade for my truck with Gabus, they were the only ones with the truck I wanted that weekend. I never had to deal with them tho! Love the truck and the deal I got through my dealer.
Old 10-26-2013, 09:12 AM

Received 579 Likes on 406 Posts

Another Ford success story... How do these people get jobs?
Old 10-26-2013, 10:31 AM
2023 402a Tremor

Received 134 Likes on 93 Posts

Got mine at Reynolds in Moline. They were very nice to deal with. Sorry about your Gabus experience. Sounds like some real Dicks.
Old 10-26-2013, 11:00 AM

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

Not sure where you are located at, but as stated Stivers in Waukee has a good reputation. I also worked a deal on an Edge for my wife over email with Dewey in Ankeny that beat my local dealer by $1500. The salesman at Dewey was quick to respond and in <4 hours over email I beat my local dealers deal. Dewey beat the local deal even though I had just bought my 13 Platinum from them back in April.

I never had any luck with Gabus when I lived in Waukee.

Quick Reply: Iowa Dealer Rant