Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Interesting situation at inspection today

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2013, 09:20 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Interesting situation at inspection today

My 2011 FX4 with only 9700 miles on it was in for inspection and oil change today at local shop. What else could it need I thought? Well mechanic calls and says it needs coolant flush and fil!!!He did a "test" and says it shows a negative 15 "value"! Stunned! He then says your air filter is filthy and needs replacement! 9700 miles is this possible? Also needs an alignment which I agreed to (truck pulls to left). Truck still pulls to left immediately after leaving shop! I question him as wether the tech actually road tested the truck after the alignment was done. His response: maybe the tech didn't let go of the wheel. I wanted to jump through the phone. Can't believe the incompetence. Didn't have the coolant flush done, ill let Ford look into this. If h is correct on the "negative value" will Ford take care of coolant on warranty. By the way, I have no symptoms.

Thanks
Old 01-03-2013, 09:24 PM

Received 50 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by SCREWFX46.5
My 2011 FX4 with only 9700 miles on it was in for inspection and oil change today at local shop. What else could it need I thought? Well mechanic calls and says it needs coolant flush and fil!!!He did a "test" and says it shows a negative 15 "value"! Stunned! He then says your air filter is filthy and needs replacement! 9700 miles is this possible? Also needs an alignment which I agreed to (truck pulls to left). Truck still pulls to left immediately after leaving shop! I question him as wether the tech actually road tested the truck after the alignment was done. His response: maybe the tech didn't let go of the wheel. I wanted to jump through the phone. Can't believe the incompetence. Didn't have the coolant flush done, ill let Ford look into this. If h is correct on the "negative value" will Ford take care of coolant on warranty. By the way, I have no symptoms.

Thanks
That's why I don't take my truck to local shops. Ill have the dealer do ally work until the warranty runs out
The following 2 users liked this post by blyons808:
isthatahemi (01-04-2013), SHORTSTACK (01-04-2013)
Old 01-03-2013, 09:25 PM
One Bad MoFoMoCo Owner

Received 394 Likes on 259 Posts

The coolant is good for 100k miles, and then some. Now the air filter might be ready to replace, if you drive in the city with lots of smog or in really dusty conditions.

I would find a different inspection station, as there is no excuse for attempting to sell you a coolant flush that they likely wouldn't even perform. Surprised he didn't tell you the blinker fluid was low.

Last edited by sullyman; 01-03-2013 at 09:46 PM.
The following users liked this post:
jtetterton (01-05-2013)
Old 01-03-2013, 10:55 PM

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

That shop sees you as a cash machine!

Your Ford dealer will gleefully flush your coolant system...at 100,000 miles! I also have problems with an air filter replacement at 9700 miles. Besides that, use only Motorcraft filters on that thing; they don't cost any more than anything else and your Ford dealer recognizes them as being the proper part for the car (or truck). Highly unlikely that shop has genuine Ford parts there.

Your truck pulling to the left could be a tire that "pulls".

I have one on my FX4 right now. After my first tire rotation at 5000 miles the truck mysteriously started pulling to the right. Naturally, I blew it off.. so what?!

5000 miles later that tire was rotated to back and viola, the truck drives perfectly straight again. Now, that same tire has finally been rotated to where it is now on the front again, this time on the drivers side.

You guessed it, it now pulls to the left. In 5000 miles it'll be on the back so the problem will be gone again. By the time that tire makes it to the front again, I'll be buying new tires, probably Michelin's. That should solve the problem.

Every time I have a Texas inspection done I start the conversation by letting the service writer know I have a car lift at home (its an ezcarlift -www.ezcarlift.com) and I have already gone over the car myself. Then I tell them of my love for Motorcraft oil and filters etc. and that sets the tone for the inspection.

Come to think of it, I've never been offered a "service special" yet.....
Old 01-03-2013, 11:14 PM

Received 130 Likes on 102 Posts

I let them tell me what needs to be done, tell them Ill do it, and then leave.
Old 01-03-2013, 11:20 PM

Received 705 Likes on 547 Posts

Originally Posted by Centexguy
I let them tell me what needs to be done, tell them Ill do it, and then leave.
Same same if you want it done right do it yourself or take it to a dealership that is reputable.
Old 01-04-2013, 03:13 PM
Five-0 Ret.

Received 674 Likes on 578 Posts

Jiffy Lubes, gotta love 'em.

BTW, your line-up would have been covered by the warranty if you convince them it's done it since new.
Old 01-04-2013, 03:24 PM

Received 140 Likes on 99 Posts

Air filter could absolutely be dirty with in the stated milage. Coolant - I dont think so. What is showing you is that it tested to -15* If you are in the US I would suggest that that is probably ok. If you are in Canada and -15* Celsius then it could be strengthened - again your Ford store should look after that too. As far as the wheel alignment - I dont think they are covered for that long. Now if a frt end part prematurely wears out like a ball joint or tie rod end then yes you would get a wheel alignment too. But if all is good, its just out of alignment then no warranty likely wont cover it.
Old 01-04-2013, 04:22 PM

Received 163 Likes on 132 Posts

The H with your coolant was for how he wanted to Hose you. I would want to see before and after sheets showing the adjustments he made to your front end, all modern day alignment machine's have the capability to do print outs. No print outs-ask for your money back!
Old 01-04-2013, 05:44 PM

Received 68 Likes on 46 Posts

At 9,700 miles I would have looked at him, laughed, and left. Of course if this was over the phone I probably would have just laughed and told him to stop all work and then pick the thing up later... then laugh some more.

First, a dirty air filter is, well, just a dirty air filter. The air/fuel ratio is automatically adjusted in modern vehicles (say, post 1986 or so). So if you're getting less air, the computer will supply less fuel. You're really not going to notice a difference unless the thing is absolutely plugged. And at 9,700 miles, unless you've been in a sandstorm, gypsum mine, and mud bogging, you're probably good.

Second, as for the alignment, as 13Harleyfan wrote, get a before and after measurement or call BS on it.

Finally, the coolant test... um... yeah. Coolant doesn't go bad in 9,700 miles. It was either bad from the factory or he's just trying to sell you something based on "numbers" of which you have no reference range to compare it against.

I would never go back to that shop again.
The following 4 users liked this post by CorvetteDreamin:
13Harleyfan (01-04-2013), jtetterton (01-05-2013), Tweak (01-04-2013), Wanted33 (01-05-2013)

Quick Reply: Interesting situation at inspection today