Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

installing aftermarket radio, backup camera stops working after 5 sec

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2019, 11:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy installing aftermarket radio, backup camera stops working after 5 sec

I have a service ticket opened with the manufacture of my new car stereo, {Atoto A6}. Installing also the dash cam and backup camera.

Initially installed the radio and dash cam with no issues. problem came when I hooked up the backup camera.
Backup camera has its own rca input on the head unit, power to the backup camera is provided by the reverse light. when the truck is put into reverse, camera is activated and head unit flips automatically to the backup view.

with the key in the run position {engine not running}, put the truck into reverse everything works not a problem.
when I start the truck and immediately put it into reverse {engine running} the backup camera works for exactly 5 seconds then the screen changes to a yellow "!"
if the truck is running for a bit and you switch to reverse the camera screen shows only the yellow "!"

I tried installing a filter {recommended by Atoto} onto the camera to clean up the 12 volts provided to it. no change

I think something starts to operate 5 seconds after the engine is running that is causing some type of interference with the camera.

would anyone happen to have any idea what I could look for?
Old 02-03-2019, 11:13 PM
Expert main pipe

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Yikes
Old 02-04-2019, 10:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does the stereo turn off while cranking?
Old 02-05-2019, 06:06 AM

Yes it does go off during cranking.
Old 02-05-2019, 12:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you have an option to have the stereo stay on while cranking? I know most Kenwood stereos have it. I'm wondering if that would help so you're no restarting the stereo twice.
Old 02-05-2019, 01:55 PM

I have it tagged in with an accessorie line, most stereos I've seen do flash off when cranking, only constant line is for the memory and clock.
Old 02-05-2019, 02:41 PM

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

Check your ground wire for camera? If not, try tapping into the body with a screw/bolt near the camera with a good clean ground. Also, did you run a wire from the reverse light to the Head unit to grab the signal? What happens if car is running and you run a jumper wire from positive battery with fuse to the reverse wire at back of head unit?
Old 02-11-2019, 07:55 AM

Update : working with the manufacture of the stereo I'm pretty sure they are suspecting bad head unit

additional steps completed this weekend
- replaced the camera with a different manufacture(suggestion from atoto - they are refunding me the cost of the origional camera)
- disconnected the dash cam (its usb straight in the back of the head unit)
- moved camera to a different video input and disconnected the rear+ trigger wire
- moved the ground on the camera circuit from the reverse light bulb straight to the body
- checked with a meter all connections relating to the rear camera

symptoms are still the same. I'm thinking that for whatever reason the head unit is bad?
The following users liked this post:
Charles Hitch (05-31-2020)
Old 02-12-2019, 11:07 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I found this useful in dealing with the backup camera and aftermarket head units:

These guys do a lot of F150's (check their videos), so they know what they're talking about.

Specifically watch around the 3:30 part, as it talks about how the reverse signal goes into the camera (camera in question is in the mirror on this unit). Not all F150's are the same, so you might be like this one...
Old 02-13-2019, 05:15 AM

Hi elford

That's, I will have a look

Quick Reply: installing aftermarket radio, backup camera stops working after 5 sec