Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Install and review of the hot side charge pipes from CV Fabrication on my Ecoboost

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2019, 07:57 AM

Received 125 Likes on 74 Posts

Default Install and review of the hot side charge pipes from CV Fabrication on my Ecoboost

Just installed the CV Fabrication hot side charge pipes on my 13 Ecoboost. The install took a little over two hours, and it’s fairly difficult to do. Not technically difficult, but time consuming, because getting to all the clamps can be a hassle. I have an FX4, so I removed my skid plate. I found out after, that this was not necessary, you just need to remove the fabric splash guard secured to the front of the skid plate. My best advice would be use a LONG flathead screwdriver, and/or a cordless impact with a long extension to get to the clamps on the turbos. The intercooler side is really easy to get to. Just climb under the truck, and undo the clamps, and pop the pipes off. The install is pretty straight forward. Before getting started, take a mental note, picture, whatever you need to do of how the stock pipes are routed, because it’s easy to route them the wrong way, and have to remove it again. (Ask me how I know) You basically remove the intake tubes, loosen the bolts on the air box/coolant tank, and then undo all the clamps on the stock pipes (The easiest way to do this is to go through the wheel well on both sides), making sure you remove the any vacuum lines along the way, and pull out the old pipes.

The kit comes with all new clamps, and couplers. These clamps are much better than regular hose clamps, in my opinion. My buddy helped me out with the install, and he works on big Cummins trucks for a living, and he said that this type is all they use. The driver’s side pipe is a two piece, which REALLY helps out with getting the pipe in place. You will want to leave all of the clamps loose while getting the pipes put in to place because you will need to adjust the positioning to get it just where it needs to be because there isn’t much wiggle room. This is because the CV charge pipes are a larger diameter than the stock ones. (Pics below) The biggest places I noticed the least amount of clearance were next to the steering shaft and the upper intake tube where the air box meets the cold side charge pipe. So make sure you check these two things before tightening the clamps. Once you get the pipes where they need to be, reinstall your cold side tubes, and tighten all the clamps.

After driving it, there is no question that the truck definitely has better throttle response. It’s a little quicker to get going. I am tuned, with an AFE intake, so that probably makes a difference. IMO, for the money, it is a great mod. Great seat of the pants improvement.

The ordering process was fantastic. I ordered through their website, and they were at my door in a few days. Great customer service. @cvf-jason is great to deal with!

https://www.cvfab.com/collections/in...-3-5l-ecoboost

The following users liked this post:
cvf-jason (03-13-2019)
Old 03-12-2019, 08:02 AM

Pictures

Driver's side pipes side by side.

Passenger's side pipes side by side

Me, hooking up the intercooler side

Driver's side, looking down at the turbo

Old 03-12-2019, 08:03 AM

Passenger's side looking down at the turbo

Intercooler side

Driver's side looking at the turbo from the wheel well

Passenger's side looking at the turbo from the wheel well
Old Grey Mule (03-16-2019)
Old 03-14-2019, 12:22 PM
F150 Vendor

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

Can't thank you enough for taking the time to post your thoughts, Kbexperience. Feedback like this is absolutely invaluable to our development process!

Forum and military discounts are available on our products - please feel free to reach out via PM if you want to learn more.

codycat91 (05-07-2020)
Old 03-16-2019, 12:54 AM

Received 73 Likes on 59 Posts

I don't really see a difference in pipe size or smoother bends. The driver's side looks to have sharper bends than stock.
Old 03-16-2019, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by Old Grey Mule
I don't really see a difference in pipe size or smoother bends. The driver's side looks to have sharper bends than stock.
The CVF pipes are most definitely a larger diameter.

Last edited by Kbexperience; 03-16-2019 at 06:01 PM.
Old 03-16-2019, 07:53 PM
F150 Vendor

Appreciate the comment, Old Grey Mule. Both pipes are in the images are on the hot-side, so they're both located on the same side. The change from the OEM tubing to our 2.5" aluminum pipes also feature 40%+ greater internal volume than stock, which may not be visible from simple side-by-side comparisons in pictures.

Old 03-17-2019, 02:09 AM

Received 73 Likes on 59 Posts

Will they help with the so-called 'condensation problem' ?
Old 03-20-2019, 02:15 PM
F150 Vendor

Will they help with the so-called 'condensation problem' ?
Sorry for the delay on this, Mule - for some reason I didn't see it until now. The engineers came to a consensus in testing that the condensation issue seems to be more of an intercooler-side problem than the piping, so there's no modification to the piping as-is.

Old 03-25-2019, 07:55 PM

Received 120 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by Kbexperience
Just installed the CV Fabrication hot side charge pipes on my 13 Ecoboost. The install took a little over two hours, and it’s fairly difficult to do. Not technically difficult, but time consuming, because getting to all the clamps can be a hassle. I have an FX4, so I removed my skid plate. I found out after, that this was not necessary, you just need to remove the fabric splash guard secured to the front of the skid plate. My best advice would be use a LONG flathead screwdriver, and/or a cordless impact with a long extension to get to the clamps on the turbos. The intercooler side is really easy to get to. Just climb under the truck, and undo the clamps, and pop the pipes off. The install is pretty straight forward. Before getting started, take a mental note, picture, whatever you need to do of how the stock pipes are routed, because it’s easy to route them the wrong way, and have to remove it again. (Ask me how I know) You basically remove the intake tubes, loosen the bolts on the air box/coolant tank, and then undo all the clamps on the stock pipes (The easiest way to do this is to go through the wheel well on both sides), making sure you remove the any vacuum lines along the way, and pull out the old pipes.

The kit comes with all new clamps, and couplers. These clamps are much better than regular hose clamps, in my opinion. My buddy helped me out with the install, and he works on big Cummins trucks for a living, and he said that this type is all they use. The driver’s side pipe is a two piece, which REALLY helps out with getting the pipe in place. You will want to leave all of the clamps loose while getting the pipes put in to place because you will need to adjust the positioning to get it just where it needs to be because there isn’t much wiggle room. This is because the CV charge pipes are a larger diameter than the stock ones. (Pics below) The biggest places I noticed the least amount of clearance were next to the steering shaft and the upper intake tube where the air box meets the cold side charge pipe. So make sure you check these two things before tightening the clamps. Once you get the pipes where they need to be, reinstall your cold side tubes, and tighten all the clamps.

After driving it, there is no question that the truck definitely has better throttle response. It’s a little quicker to get going. I am tuned, with an AFE intake, so that probably makes a difference. IMO, for the money, it is a great mod. Great seat of the pants improvement.

The ordering process was fantastic. I ordered through their website, and they were at my door in a few days. Great customer service. @cvf-jason is great to deal with!

https://www.cvfab.com/collections/in...-3-5l-ecoboost
Did you remove the wheel liners completely for the install? Did you remove the OEM tubes out the top or pulling them out from underneath?

Quick Reply: Install and review of the hot side charge pipes from CV Fabrication on my Ecoboost