Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Inner pad worn more than outer

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2019, 01:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Inner pad worn more than outer

I bought my 2011 F-150 used in 2015 with 15,500 on it (and it's the HD Payload version). I noticed some shaking on stop and when I had it in for inspection the following year, they had to replace the front brakes. Probably around 22k miles if even that. I'm at 34k now and had similar issues, plus I was finding rotor material in the driveway. I pulled it apart and besides the inner part of the rotor being chipped away, the inner pad is worn.

I haven't checked slider pins but am wondering if it makes sense to just replace both front calipers since it's apart now. For some reason the Power Stop coated ones are less expensive than AC Delco (my new pads/rotors are Bendix). The red looks slick of course (truck is red but probably different shade).

Old 02-23-2019, 03:23 PM

Received 1,264 Likes on 1,083 Posts

Originally Posted by rbaevergreen
they had to replace the front brakes. Probably around 22k miles if even that. I'm at 34k now and had similar issues,
Don't take it back to "they" whoever they are. Looks like your area has serious rust problems. Check out Makuloco's videos.

https://www.youtube.com/user/FordTec...rake+pads+f150
Old 02-23-2019, 04:35 PM

When they salt the highways fully, they are white. Is inner pad wear caused by bad calipers? If so, what is the general consensus on brands?

It was one of the chain places - I think they brought in the rotors/pads from the local chain auto parts store.
Old 02-23-2019, 06:18 PM

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

looks like one brake pad was put on backwards. there is a difference between inboard and outboard pads. the ones with dog ears goes to the inside. looks like somebody screwed up. plenty of You Tube videos of the correct orientation of the pads.
Old 02-23-2019, 06:25 PM

Received 2,101 Likes on 1,725 Posts

I don't think that's it. The inner is the worn one and it clearly has the tabs, so that was installed correctly. Probably a caliper issue.
Old 02-23-2019, 06:26 PM

Could the calipers be good and it's an installation error? I'll check the new set to see what you mean.

I was surprised that I had pulsating at such low mileage. I forgot to mention that the original pads were chipped when the place removed them for inspection.
Old 02-23-2019, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by Spiky
I don't think that's it. The inner is the worn one and it clearly has the tabs, so that was installed correctly. Probably a caliper issue.
I recall reading inner pad = caliper issue and outer pad = poorly-lubricated guide pins. But that was only quick reading.

Edit: Therefore caliper issue was my assumption as well.

Last edited by rbaevergreen; 02-23-2019 at 07:03 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 02-23-2019, 08:22 PM

Received 964 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by rbaevergreen
I recall reading inner pad = caliper issue and outer pad = poorly-lubricated guide pins. But that was only quick reading.

Edit: Therefore caliper issue was my assumption as well.
That's the general rule.
Old 02-23-2019, 09:50 PM

Received 85 Likes on 67 Posts

I would try living the pins. We have an 06 Ram that wore the inside pads to near metal. Polished, lubed the pins and no more issues. Granted the pins had some discoloration, which made it more clear what the issue was.
Old 02-23-2019, 09:59 PM

I'll see if the pins move tomorrow as a first step (though it might be easier to replace calipers anyway versus doing rotors/pads again in the too-near future). On the rear brakes two years ago I used the Ford silicone lubricant (white) and they were moving freely two years later (needed to fix parking brake actuator). I had another vehicle where a dark gray / black grease was used on the pins and it was frozen solid. I even needed new rubber because the rubber that one of the two pins (per caliper) had around it was swollen and it wouldn't reassemble.

Quick Reply: Inner pad worn more than outer