Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I'm a Wiring Idiot - Advice on Wiring LEDs to Fogs

Old 11-19-2014, 11:01 AM
Active Duty Navy Chief

Received 210 Likes on 170 Posts
Default I'm a Wiring Idiot - Advice on Wiring LEDs to Fogs

Like the title states, I'm an idiot with wiring but want to tackle this myself (only way to learn)......

I have a few LED spot/flood lights (similar to the Rigid brand) that I want to tie into my fog lights. I don't want to wire a switch or anything like that. I'd like to simply tap them into the fogs so they come on whenever I turn the fog lights on.

The lights I ordered have a red (power) wire and a black (ground I'm guessing) wire that come out of the back.

- Can I simply tie those into the existing fog light wiring (red wire to power and black wire to ground)?

I know some don't like tapping into factory wiring, but that's what I'm looking to do. Anything that involves relays and switches would be something I'd end up having to pay someone to do.

Any tips would be GREATLY appreciated! Thanks in advance!
Old 11-19-2014, 11:19 AM
Boost :)

Received 440 Likes on 328 Posts

You can do it that way, however, the current draw could exceed the amperage on the fog light circuit and pop a fuse. LED's generally draw VERY little current, but it could happen.

The best way to be to wire in a relay (not as hard as it sounds) that is wired directly to the battery and use the signal of the fog lights to trigger that relay so that the current draw is from the battery and not the fog light circuit itself.
Old 11-19-2014, 11:30 AM
Active Duty Navy Chief

Originally Posted by TJPlatinumEB
You can do it that way, however, the current draw could exceed the amperage on the fog light circuit and pop a fuse. LED's generally draw VERY little current, but it could happen.

The best way to be to wire in a relay (not as hard as it sounds) that is wired directly to the battery and use the signal of the fog lights to trigger that relay so that the current draw is from the battery and not the fog light circuit itself.
I have LED bulbs in the fogs as well so wouldn't that cut down on the power draw?
Old 11-19-2014, 11:40 AM

Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

Yes it would, you'd probably be more then fine taping the wire on the fog lights
Old 11-19-2014, 12:27 PM

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

I think you'll be fine just tapping into the fog light power. Worse case you blow a fuse, easy fix. I've tapped into the reverse light power which probably have a lot less output and hooked LEDs up to them and they have been fine for 6 or 7 months no problems.
Old 11-19-2014, 12:40 PM
Poor Boy Raptor

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Forum member nickpatton_189 could probably help you on this. I ordered 4 LED cubes from him and he made it a plug and play installation, no switch needed. They operate off of my stock fog light switch.
Old 11-19-2014, 01:41 PM

Received 136 Likes on 119 Posts

LEDs will draw on the magnitude of milliamps so very doubtful you pop a fuse. But yes do it the way you have in mind. Just be sure to seal / tape up your connections well since in that location the will be subject to the elements. Be sure and locate a good ground location that's not corroded. Don't wire them directly to the battery..that's a "hack" way of doing things. Keep it clean and professional using existing circuits and /or wiring directly to fuse box terminals.
Old 11-19-2014, 01:44 PM
Active Duty Navy Chief

Thanks for the replies on this. I'll give it a shot with just tapping into the wires. If that doesn't work then I'll look at more in-depth options.

By chance would anyone know which wires I need to tap into that come out of the fog lights?

- Power wire color
- Ground wire color
Old 11-19-2014, 02:36 PM
Brodozin' through life

Received 1,345 Likes on 840 Posts

I ran 4 inch led circles in my Fogs wired to factory with no issues
Old 11-19-2014, 02:42 PM
Active Duty Navy Chief

Originally Posted by AricsFX
I ran 4 inch led circles in my Fogs wired to factory with no issues
I'm not at my truck to actually look right now, but there should only be two wires coming out of the factory harness right? One is positive and one is negative?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: I'm a Wiring Idiot - Advice on Wiring LEDs to Fogs