Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I'm really starting to get frustrated with this truck...

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2011, 01:26 AM
Expanding the Stable

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I'm really starting to get frustrated with this truck...

First and foremost, let me preface this by saying that I am not one of those people who enjoys crying/complaining that they hate the vehicle they bought and just want to talk trash about it for no reason. I have seen that happen way too many times before on various car forums and it just gets everybody mad for no reason.

Having said that...

I guess the point of this thread is for people to re-assure me that "everything is going to be OK." LOL.

So, where to begin.... Right off the bat from the very early stages of owning this truck, I have beef with the transmission. It sucks. I absolutely friggin hate it. Ive seen this topic beat to death on this forum, and it is single-handedly the most annoying mechanical piece of equipment on this truck. It hangs the 1-2 shift when in stop-n-go traffic, the 1-2 shift takes forever under decent acceleration, downshifting on the highway for passing purposes will get you killed if you need to get your butt out there and moving before you have a car on your bumper, the 2-1 shudder at stops is awful, it occassionally likes to wait to downshift/shudder into first after Ive been completely stopped for 3-4 seconds, clunks are a weekly occurance, the trans slips when shifting gears when it is cold, the slightest bit of added gas pedal pressure on the highway causes such frequent and unnecessary downshifts.... I can go on and on..... and on and on and on.

WTF.

Next issue..... I have nicknamed my truck "death from above" because that friggin headliner is going to drive me insane! I have seen other people talk about it here on the forum, so I know Im not a one-off case with this problem either. The thing has just a little bit of play in it between the headliner and metal roof, and every time you go over any kind of bump (aka every ten feet on the road....), it clicks. It's not super loud, but it's practically right above my head and it drives me crazy. Not to mention it is embarassing to explain to passengers... I figured out how to drop the headliner pretty easily, so I may just stuff something up there to fill the gap between the headliner and roof so there is no play any more. Still, a ridiculous problem to have nonetheless.

Furthermore, I noticed that when it is cold out, my sunroof glass rattles. Awesome. Only adds to the aforementioned "death from above" theme Ive got going on.

For a couple days this winter, I got this very loud clicking noise seemingly coming from the passenger footwell when using the defroster. Sounds kinda like the sound a piece of papaer would make if you put it into a fan.... tough to explain, I guess. Taking it into the dealer would be useless since I have struggled to consistently replicate the problem at all. Very weird though.... something was definitely not right with that.

My most recent problem.... Washed the truck two weeks ago and noticed fog inside the tail light. Love when that happens. It rained and then snowed here in Chicago over the past two days and noticed that my headlights are now fogging up on the inside as well! Are you kidding me? Holy crap....

I dont know..... Again, I dont mean to incovenience you people with my complaining, but I just need to vent to somebody about it. Dont get me wrong, there are plenty of things that I LOVE about this truck, so this is not meant to be just a negative thread at all. My list of "likes" is just as long as the list of problems, so I dont want you to think I am entirely unhappy here, but for a truck that I bought brand new, spent quite a chunk of change on, and it only has less than 6,000 miles on it and this laundry list of problems....? I think my frustration is understandable.

I know, I know----"Have you taken it to the dealer?"

No, not yet. Prior to the headlight/tail light ordeal, I was holding off on that so I could wait out the recommended 5,000 mile adaptive learning process for the transmission that I read about on here. Sometimes I think the trans has gotten better, then as soon as I think that, it does something ridiculous and I immediately realize it is still not working correctly. But now that all this other stuff has surfaced, I've just about had it.

Im a real do-it-yourself kinda person, so naturally I hesitate going to the dealer for anything. But most of these problems are issues that I just cant address on my own, nevermind the fact that the truck is BRAND NEW.

To the dealer it will go next week hopefully. I sure hope they can get everything cleared up so I can start fully enjoying this truck. I think it has a lot of potential, but right now I am just not a happy guy with it.

I need a hug, lol.
Old 03-06-2011, 01:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i understand what you're sayin, all i can do is wish you the best of luck. hope you get it all fixed, through and through i'm glad you still like your truck.
Old 03-06-2011, 01:44 AM

Received 366 Likes on 284 Posts

I understand your frustration, however I have none of those problems. Sunroof is quiet, headliner is quiet, defroster is quiet, trans has been awesome right from the get go and it had 43 miles on it when I bought it. I live down gravel roads which are frequently washboardy and i have no sunroof or headliner noise issues, I would think you would be well within your rights to take it to a dealer and make them fix it, as it really shouldnt be doing such things. As to the trans, i really cant help ya there as mine has been fine, but some people report success after a reflash, might wanna check into that, however its been noted that these trans do behave differently than the older ones you may be used to, so it could just be a learning curve. Mine has no problems when I go to pass people though, so perhaps there is a problem with yours. Mine never clunks or slips and I live where its about as cold as it gets, heh. Quite possible you do have a real issue if having all those problems. Never noticed any fogging issues, but i havent really looked for them either i guess. Hope you get your problems sorted to your liking, i really love my truck!
Old 03-06-2011, 01:55 AM
Going Big Since 1980

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I have had a few quirks like this with mine.. I take it in, bitch about any little thing I can think of and grab a rental Focus LOL... My dealer is really good about fixing stuff like that,,, even if you break it like I did with my visor clip.

I had them reprogam the Trans CU and it was much better.. I had them look at it again and they went through the whole gearbox. I think a tuner might be a good buy for these trucks as the factory tuning is set up for girlscouts and max MPGs!

Mine is shifting good but still has that weak 1-2 shift on a downshift. You have to peg it right away to keep it in first. It is annoying.
Old 03-06-2011, 03:09 AM
Nsfx4

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds like the what I just delt with on my 2006 f250, in 28,000 miles the truck went back to Ford 13 times!! Call Ford customer service! And take your truck back to the dealer. Good luck!
I love my 2010 f150 fx4-----it starts!!!
Attached Images  
Old 03-06-2011, 09:13 AM
in the house

Received 1,338 Likes on 776 Posts

As my dear departed father used to say, "Some people would bitch if they were going to be hung with a new rope...."

Seriously though, while I can understand being frustrated with major issues that affect driveability....if you haven't taken it to a dealer...STHU about it until you do. If your tire is low on air, do you just bitch about it or do you go put some friggin' AIR in it and also find out WHY it is low?
Jebus H. Christmas....

As for the other little niggling creaks and squeaks and shiit like that, if those things bother you....well, you're shiit out of luck as you'll NEVER get them fixed. In reality, most things like that are never "able to be duplicated by the dealer", and as such will not get fixed.

It's a FORD pickup for God's sake...not a Toyota or any other brand known for exceptional quality! I have to wonder if the O.P. did any research prior to purchasing?
My God...this forum alone, as well as the two or three other major truck forums are rife with similar complaints about these trucks!

Sorry to be one of those guys that isn't going to 'reassure' you....
Old 03-06-2011, 09:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Psh man, ive had my truck less then a year
Had to get a new trans
Ball joints
Rotors
Tires
Calpers
Bunch of other stuff
Must have been made on a friday.
Old 03-06-2011, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by bajaman
if you haven't taken it to a dealer...STHU about it until you do.
Ya, cause that works. take it in, let them drive around using your gas, just to come back and say "I don't hear anything" or "That's normal operation" And oh by the way, here is your $250 bill for me telling you that. that. NO thankyou. I use to have a Exploder before I got my F150 and I have a noise coming from my front end. Took it into 2 different dealers for them to tell me, I don't know what your talking about. Come to find out, it was my hubs going bad. Screw stealerships.

Now that I am done with that, I am having the same issue with my 02 moon roof too. I noticed it yesterday driving around with the wife. I opened it then reclosed it. Seemed to help.
Old 03-06-2011, 10:28 AM
Dan

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

They shouldn't charge you 250 for warranty work. And a few dollars of gas isn't going to bankrupt you and if that does you better sell the truck.

Go to the dealer. I understand your complaints. Ford will make it right
Old 03-06-2011, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by dejong1
They shouldn't charge you 250 for warranty work. And a few dollars of gas isn't going to bankrupt you and if that does you better sell the truck.

Go to the dealer. I understand your complaints. Ford will make it right
I agree, I didn't know the year/miles/warrenty left on truck ect. But if it's under warrenty, then HELL ya, take it to them.

Quick Reply: I'm really starting to get frustrated with this truck...