Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Icon Coilovers install and ride review

Old 03-05-2011, 11:47 PM
Going Big Since 1980

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Icon Coilovers install and ride review

So after breaking one of my 5100s I decided its time to upgade the front of my 2010 FX4 to some aftermarket coilovers

I made calls to Icon, Sway A Way, Camburg & Fox while I was shopping...
King is another option, but I was looking to save a few bucks over their set up.

I needed something fast as I couldnt put my my stockers back together with my 34" tires. Sway A Way is what I really wanted and both them and Camburgs set up for the 04-08 trucks run $1050 for the fronts. Icon's are $1200... Foxes are more but do have some sweet Resi shocks like the KIngs.... I called SAW and they said they didnt have a current test truck so it would be a few months before they would have em ready for the 09-up trucks. I called camburg and got the same story.

I then talked to Jeremy @ Icon and he was very helpful. Answered my questions and they have them available for the 09. The shop where I got them said they have tons more R&D than any of the other shock companys making these OEM style replacements.

They showed up a couple days later so I yanked the old ones out and got the new ones stuffed in.

Install is pretty strait forward.. I took both the tie rod and spindle free to make it easier.. Plus I didnt want to scratch them up (they are brandy new!)

Couple notes for anyone that gets a set of these: Mine came with 04-08 instructions that note you mount them with schrader valve pointing out. This was not true on mine.. You needed to go 90 degrees in either direction to line the holes up.
Also the hardware for the top 3 bolts (they thread into the top of the coilover) came with a nice grade 8 bolt and a lock washer. However after I got them tightened up I noticed that the lock washer really didnt cover that much of the big opening that if passes thru. I added an additional flat washer to the mix for a more solid attachement. No Biggie...

I put them in with the preload set at where they put it at Icon. The trucks sits pretty level.. maybe being a 1/4" high in the front. You can crank the preload up to get more height (3" lift vs. 2-2 1/2") but you will harshen up the ride and loose most of your downtravel making it ride like a dump truck.

The ride is AWESOME! Its a caddy once again and soaks up everything you throw at. I havent had it out in the dirt yet but driving around my first impression is better than I expected. I should be getting 10" of wheel travel with the stock upper arm.

I still need to get it aligned but it is driving strait and the steering feels better too.

No rubbing at all with the 296/60 Nittos

The only problem now is the front dampens so good that the rear suspension is now kinda bouncy.. I will put some nice shocks on the rear soon and see it that helps. It is stock.

I highly recomend this product.. Install only took 90 mins

If you like to bash your truck on the weekends and like the leveled look this is the only way to go. I wish I would have bought them when I got the Bilsteins.
Attached Thumbnails Icon Coilovers install and ride review-icon1.jpg   Icon Coilovers install and ride review-icon2.jpg   Icon Coilovers install and ride review-icon3.jpg  
Old 03-06-2011, 12:34 AM
Dan

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

How did you manage to break the bilsteins??? Whats the cost on those things? worth it?
Old 03-06-2011, 12:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CougarKiller
So after breaking one of my 5100s I decided its time to upgade the front of my 2010 FX4 to some aftermarket coilovers

I made calls to Icon, Sway A Way, Camburg & Fox while I was shopping...
King is another option, but I was looking to save a few bucks over their set up.

I needed something fast as I couldnt put my my stockers back together with my 34" tires. Sway A Way is what I really wanted and both them and Camburgs set up for the 04-08 trucks run $1050 for the fronts. Icon's are $1200... Foxes are more but do have some sweet Resi shocks like the KIngs.... I called SAW and they said they didnt have a current test truck so it would be a few months before they would have em ready for the 09-up trucks. I called camburg and got the same story.

I then talked to Jeremy @ Icon and he was very helpful. Answered my questions and they have them available for the 09. The shop where I got them said they have tons more R&D than any of the other shock companys making these OEM style replacements.

They showed up a couple days later so I yanked the old ones out and got the new ones stuffed in.

Install is pretty strait forward.. I took both the tie rod and spindle free to make it easier.. Plus I didnt want to scratch them up (they are brandy new!)

Couple notes for anyone that gets a set of these: Mine came with 04-08 instructions that note you mount them with schrader valve pointing out. This was not true on mine.. You needed to go 90 degrees in either direction to line the holes up.
Also the hardware for the top 3 bolts (they thread into the top of the coilover) came with a nice grade 8 bolt and a lock washer. However after I got them tightened up I noticed that the lock washer really didnt cover that much of the big opening that if passes thru. I added an additional flat washer to the mix for a more solid attachement. No Biggie...

I put them in with the preload set at where they put it at Icon. The trucks sits pretty level.. maybe being a 1/4" high in the front. You can crank the preload up to get more height (3" lift vs. 2-2 1/2") but you will harshen up the ride and loose most of your downtravel making it ride like a dump truck.

The ride is AWESOME! Its a caddy once again and soaks up everything you throw at. I havent had it out in the dirt yet but driving around my first impression is better than I expected. I should be getting 10" of wheel travel with the stock upper arm.

I still need to get it aligned but it is driving strait and the steering feels better too.

No rubbing at all with the 296/60 Nittos

The only problem now is the front dampens so good that the rear suspension is now kinda bouncy.. I will put some nice shocks on the rear soon and see it that helps. It is stock.

I highly recomend this product.. Install only took 90 mins

If you like to bash your truck on the weekends and like the leveled look this is the only way to go. I wish I would have bought them when I got the Bilsteins.
They look damn sweet! Ouch on price though.
Old 03-06-2011, 12:56 AM
Flareside

Received 78 Likes on 58 Posts

Can those be adjusted after they are on the truck, if you want to change the height? What setting did they come at?

I looked at those too, after you mentioned it in another thread. They also sell a kit that has both front and rear shocks.
Old 03-06-2011, 01:28 AM
Going Big Since 1980

the driver side shock bent at the bottom mount. It kinda folded up on itself. I was just cruising around the dunes .. nothing harsh.

Yes, you can adjust the height via spring preload rings... It did not come with a shock wrench.

I didnt ask.. But I would jack up the front end then adjust them and lower the truck back down.

I am thinking about going with a fox shock in the back... I just need to talk to someone that knows their chit so I can have Fox valve them right. My truck is a longbed so Im not sure Raptor valving would be the way to go.
Old 03-06-2011, 11:25 AM
Flareside

Received 78 Likes on 58 Posts

the driver side shock bent at the bottom mount. It kinda folded up on itself. I was just cruising around the dunes .. nothing harsh.

Yes, you can adjust the height via spring preload rings... It did not come with a shock wrench.

I didnt ask.. But I would jack up the front end then adjust them and lower the truck back down.

I am thinking about going with a fox shock in the back... I just need to talk to someone that knows their chit so I can have Fox valve them right. My truck is a longbed so Im not sure Raptor valving would be the way to go.
My truck is also the 6.5' Screw. Please post if you find the proper rear shock.

So when you installed the fronts, there was no need to compress any springs because they are fully assembled when you get them, correct?

Did you tell them where to set them before you ordered them?
Old 03-06-2011, 11:28 AM
F150 Manic

Received 112 Likes on 111 Posts

Those things look pretty cool
Old 03-06-2011, 10:18 PM
Going Big Since 1980

Correct.. I installed them where they were set from the factory.. No need to remove the stock spring assembly, You can adjust them as needed for ride hieght

they are even softer now that i have drove on them for a few miles.....
Old 05-22-2011, 10:12 PM

Received 84 Likes on 20 Posts

Did you send the strut back to Bilstein for the "lifetime" warranty? Just curious, I have the 5100's and am second guessing my decision, not because they don't ride great, just thinkin about modifying them to get a little more lift and wondering if I should just scrap the Bilsteins.
Old 05-17-2012, 02:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

okay you might be able to help me i have been looking at the bds lifts but would like to get a nice set of coilovers with them trucktoyz has the kit and you can upgrade the coilovers to icons do you think that it would be an issue fitting the coilver to the 6 inch lift

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Icon Coilovers install and ride review