Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I heard something interesting about fuel mileage

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2012, 09:13 AM
Okie Coupe

Received 209 Likes on 172 Posts

Default I heard something interesting about fuel mileage

I may be trading for a new Lariat within a month or two. While at the dealer I was talking with a long time experienced salesman. You know, one of those that actually know anything and everything that you could think to ask about a new F150.

Anyhow, this is the third salesman that has told me the same thing so there may be something to it. They said that the F150 with 5.0 engines are getting better average fuel mileage than those trucks with Ecoboost engines under normal highway driving. Normal highway driving meaning no loads, no towing. I'm not sure how they come to that conclusion but I guess it's possible. They said the Ecoboost will get better fuel mileage while towing and hauling.

Of course the fuel mileage comparison is assuming the Ecoboost and 5.0 are identical in all other aspects.

So it looks like my new truck may have a 5.0 instead of an Ecoboost that I had originally planned on.

Last edited by shortride; 07-31-2012 at 11:22 AM.
Old 07-31-2012, 09:27 AM

Received 88 Likes on 72 Posts

I don't think the dealer is accurate in that. In my 5.0L, I get better mileage than I could in the Eco over mountain terrain. On flats at 60mph, my 5.0L is about 1mpg less than my Eco. Having said that, my Eco had the 3.31 rear, and my 5.0L has the 3.73 so those results may be hard to compare. My eco also had 17 inch P-Rated tires, while my 5.0L has 18 inch LT Tires.

These trucks are too close to call, but obviously the Eco has more torque and still delivers similar fuel economy. Some environments will favor the Eco, some will favor the 5.0L.
Old 07-31-2012, 09:28 AM
Batteries Not Included

Received 294 Likes on 190 Posts

I own a 2012 5.0 with 3:55 gears, and I am very impressed with the mileage. Although I have under 2500kms on it, (1550 miles) I am averaging just over twenty mpg on the lifetime gauge. I have only towed a trailer once, but it was not very heavy. It was 2800lbs total, and I towed it in Tow/Haul mode, losing only about a mile and a half per gallon due to the rather hilly highway. I have never even driven an Ecoboost, so I couldn't even fathom what mileage you would get.

Also, the economy gets slightly better with each tankful. I have the 136.3 liter tank, (30 imperial gallons, 35 US gallons) so its a long while between fillups. This mileage has been racked up since early April when I bought the truck. He's more of a pleasure craft, and doesnt see much service.
Old 07-31-2012, 09:35 AM
Better OUT then IN

Received 253 Likes on 206 Posts

It's absolutely a close call between the two but that would all depend on the gearing.

I would think they are pretty equal with the right (equal) conditions.

I would consistently get the EPA ratings - until I installed a level and Nittos. Now, looks like I've lost around 1-3 mpg - jury is still out on that one. Still testing
Old 07-31-2012, 09:43 AM

Received 461 Likes on 310 Posts

cool story brah!
Old 07-31-2012, 09:49 AM
LONE STAR

Received 629 Likes on 432 Posts

It's interesting to compare mileage estimates for both the EB vs. 5.0. Up here in Canada, there can be a price premium of over $2000 just for the EB engine option. Based solely on the yearly estimated fuel cost savings(on paper) of the EB, I would have to drive it for approx. 20 years to make back the $2000 cost premium over the 5.0
Old 07-31-2012, 09:58 AM
Batteries Not Included

Received 294 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by KILOFINAL
It's interesting to compare mileage estimates for both the EB vs. 5.0. Up here in Canada, there can be a price premium of over $2000 just for the EB engine option. Based solely on the yearly estimated fuel cost savings(on paper) of the EB, I would have to drive it for approx. 20 years to make back the $2000 cost premium over the 5.0
That's a good point. It wasn't my reason for choosing the 5.0, but it's a very valid issue. My main reason for choosing the 5.0 was I love V8s and just love that it sounds like a Mustang. The good fuel economy doesn't hurt either.
Old 07-31-2012, 10:43 AM

Received 114 Likes on 67 Posts

I own 2 screw cab Lariats, an '11 Eco and '12 5.0L and living here in a somewhat hilly part of S Indiana I can tell you the 5.0 actually pulls better mpg going up and down these smaller hills.

Now when we run to Bloomington IN to see our son who went to IU the Eco would do better. Under an ideal set up of traveling around 55 mph on a pretty flat road the Eco does better.

The same is holding true as well pulling our boat with the Eco doing better on flatter roads.
Old 07-31-2012, 10:56 AM

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Twinkies
I own 2 screw cab Lariats, an '11 Eco and '12 5.0L and living here in a somewhat hilly part of S Indiana I can tell you the 5.0 actually pulls better mpg going up and down these smaller hills.

Now when we run to Bloomington IN to see our son who went to IU the Eco would do better. Under an ideal set up of traveling around 55 mph on a pretty flat road the Eco does better.

The same is holding true as well pulling our boat with the Eco doing better on flatter roads.
I need your job so I can have both. Lol. Really I have heard they are similar in mpg but if your towing the EB exceeds the 5.0. And the added torque in the EB is so nice and smooth down low. It all depends on what you use the truck for they are both good motors. I chose the EB for mileage and towing capabilities
Old 07-31-2012, 10:58 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a 2012 XLT SCrew with the Ecoboost. I recently did a 600 mile trip and was driving around 75 mph, the average MPH was around 16.8. There is not a bed cover on (yet), there was a few pieces of luggage and two kids bikes. I was pretty disappointed by the gas mileage. I have noticed the speedometer is not really that accurate. Using two methods to measure the odometer and speedometer. I reset the trip odometer when I passed a mile marker on the interstate after going by each one I noticed the trip odometer wasnt in sync with each mile marker. The several GPS devices I have me off as well. The GPS devices will say Im doing 76-77 mph and the speedometer is at 75 mph. If I have gone 20 miles according to the mile markers, the trip odometer will have 19.7 miles.
This will impact my odometer and other milestones for maintenance and mpg.

Wondered if anyone else has noticed this?

Thanks.

Quick Reply: I heard something interesting about fuel mileage