Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I don't know what to do...

Old 03-09-2015, 12:03 PM

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Default I don't know what to do...

2012 SCrew Platinum 5.0 with 78k miles.

I've detailed the myriad of problems I've had with this truck, starting with the engine replacement before I even got it. Then it was the BCM issues. Then it was the weird cranking when starting after filling up with fuel. The MPG has been slowly sinking as well. Now, I'm getting the battery saver message immediately after turning off the engine.

I love my truck. I've spent a bunch of time and (almost) a bunch of money getting it set up the way I want/need it for my job. I love the color, I love the features.

I do not love all of the problems. I bought it because of the reliability I've seen with friends that have Ford pickups. My parents have owned Ford pickups. We own a 2011 that's been great. Just this truck has been a pain in the ***. I can't afford to take a loss on the truck. I also can't afford for the truck to be down. It was purchased to replace my previous vehicle. I have to have four wheel drive. I have to have a tonneau cover. I have to have four doors. Sure, the dealership gives me a loaner, but they don't have any 4x4 loaners. Then I have to transfer all of my tools out of MY truck to whatever POS they give me for a loaner for however long my vehicle is going to be in the shop.

So, I don't know what to do. I don't know what my legal options are. I don't know what my options are through Ford Customer Service. Are there other options that I need to pursue? Then again, I don't know if I need to take it that far yet.

I'm looking for useful advice. Please spare me the "you screwed up" messages. Believe me, I've been beating myself up over this every time yet another problem crops up.
Old 03-09-2015, 12:10 PM

Received 613 Likes on 497 Posts

check out the trade in value and buying a 14, lots of incentives. I'm actually paying 40$ less per month for my 14 then my 12!
Old 03-09-2015, 12:17 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

look into the lemon law and if it qualifies. look in your owners manual and the there is a section on filing a complaint with BBB and going that route. That's the route i took and had the truck bought back. it took almost 4 months - from the start of the first problem to them buying back the truck. document everything, get names and numbers. i even had videos of the issues occurring just in case. be patient and try to get as many people on your side when doing this. i had the dealership go to bat for me on a couple of occasions when ford corp. tried the "it's normal" routine. it's a long process but don't give up and take the loss. i was actually one day away from going to arbitration with ford when they called my BBB case worker and said they would but back the truck. good luck.
Old 03-09-2015, 12:18 PM

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

yep trade it for an newer one or newer used. Hopefully it will be a better experience.
Old 03-09-2015, 12:33 PM

Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts

Here's what you do know- you(and Ford) have spent a large amount of money on this particular truck, and that amount WILL continue to grow as time passes. It's going to cost you a minimum of a few thousand dollars to "upgrade a few years", and only YOU can decide if it's worth it. Your other option is to keep the truck and roll the dice as to it's reliability. MAYBE it will now become the most dependable truck you have ever owned- but most likely not. My motto: buy'em new, beat the crap outta them, trade'em off to a dealer that sells'em to a unsuspecting "chump", and start over again- NEVER out of warranty, and only costs a few grand to drive new again. Or Wham, Bam, Thank ya, Mam!

P.S. Why are you using a platinum Screw as a work truck? That's why they make XL's. If you are trying to make one truck do the job of two, or, even better, trying to write-off your toy by having your business depreciate it- that really only works in the movies or something similar. In the real world, folks have work trucks, and toy trucks.

Last edited by elfiero; 03-09-2015 at 12:42 PM.
Old 03-09-2015, 01:48 PM

Received 89 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by elfiero
P.S. Why are you using a platinum Screw as a work truck? That's why they make XL's. If you are trying to make one truck do the job of two, or, even better, trying to write-off your toy by having your business depreciate it- that really only works in the movies or something similar. In the real world, folks have work trucks, and toy trucks.
What real world do you live in? A lot of the guys here have trucks that they use for employment/business and pleasure. I don't need vinyl floors and an interior out of 1990 to do work with my truck.
The following 3 users liked this post by TuxBlackFX4:
abideejay (03-09-2015), kidastra (03-09-2015), rohada (03-10-2015)
Old 03-09-2015, 03:06 PM

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

It's not really anyone's business what type of truck I buy or use. That's irrelevant to this conversation. And, I'm not having my business write off my "toy". The truck isn't my toy. Its the truck I use for work and it just happened to be a Platinum.
The following 3 users liked this post by abideejay:
5.Ohno (03-10-2015), Adobe2X (03-10-2015), deanfx (03-10-2015)
Old 03-10-2015, 04:26 PM

Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts

if it was me, i'd take the loss and trade it for a new one.

go ahead and rip the band-aid off and get it over with.
Old 03-10-2015, 04:44 PM

Received 150 Likes on 106 Posts

I hate to agree but I'd trade it in. Get a '14 and start over.
Old 03-10-2015, 04:57 PM

Received 171 Likes on 127 Posts

I have a 2012 as well and have the same issue (not the BCM or engine, but the power issue). I need to take it back in to get checked out again. they first said it was my battery (replaced under warranty), then came back again. I thought it was the cold, but today it was up to 74 (two days ago it was 20) and still does it. there was a TSB for the alternator connection (which they checked last time) and said it was fine. but I like my dealer and will take it back to them to get fixed.

Regarding what you should do. Your call. the power saver is a known issue that doesn't have a great fix in many cases. If you are really concerned then it might be worth it to trade it in on a 14 (super deep discounting)even with a little loss. I presume no warranty currently?

Regarding the MPG: it is winter gas, so it will be crap for a while. but in general the trucks almost never get their EPA mileage. was a small lawsuit a while back about the Ecoboosts and the EPA are putting out new guidelines that should ensure we get more correct info(starting in 2017)
The following users liked this post:
abideejay (03-11-2015)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: I don't know what to do...