Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hypertech OR Superchips

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 12:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hypertech OR Superchips

Just got my 2010 F150 a month ago. Awesome truck, but I want to get a chip on it before long. I had an Edge Evo on my '05 King Ranch, it was like installing a whole other engine!
So I've been looking around on here and a couple other sites, trying to narrow my search down between Superchips Cortex OR Hypertech Max. Not sure what it's called exactly!

I am NOT looking for advice about SCT, Gryphon, Troyer, etc. so please if you don't have input on one of the two Im looking into, please keep your comments out of this.

thanks in advance. and for the guy that's sure to tell me to search under programmers, chips, etc...... um, you know.
Old 04-27-2010, 07:32 AM

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by spiers71
Just got my 2010 F150 a month ago. Awesome truck, but I want to get a chip on it before long. I had an Edge Evo on my '05 King Ranch, it was like installing a whole other engine!

So I've been looking around on here and a couple other sites, trying to narrow my search down between Superchips Cortex OR Hypertech Max. Not sure what it's called exactly!

I am NOT looking for advice about SCT, Gryphon, Troyer, etc. so please if you don't have input on one of the two Im looking into, please keep your comments out of this.

thanks in advance. and for the guy that's sure to tell me to search under programmers, chips, etc...... um, you know.
I apologize in advance for breaking your post rules.

If you've decided on SuperCrap and HyperJunk, you need to spend more time reading this and other forums, especially the Tuner/Programmer areas and focus on customer service.

Good luck!
Old 04-27-2010, 11:54 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Does anyone know who makes a programmer for the 2010 5.4L I cant seem to find anyone who makes one for anything newer than a 2008. Thanks
Old 04-27-2010, 04:26 PM

SCT says it's X3 can be custom programmed for the 09-10s. Diablo might make one - haven't checked in a while.

Other SCT models, Edge, and Gryphon (Power Hungry Performance) are still on hold.

I would wait until either VMP Tuning or PHP offer custom tuned SCTs and Gryphons.
Old 04-27-2010, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by shotgun

If you've decided on SuperCrap and HyperJunk, you need to spend more time reading this and other forums, especially the Tuner/Programmer areas and focus on customer service.

Good luck!

Shotgun, Can you tell us why you don't like these two programmers?

I want better acceleration, quicker shifter out of the lower gears when I put my foot down, and better mileage if there's any to be found.

I had and Edge on my previous truck and it was great. but they've been saying they'll come out with the '09-10 F150 version for over a year... doesn't look like they're serious about it.

Please tell me and whoever else doesn't already know; what make the others you've mentioned the better choice.

Do you use one in your own truck? what are the pro's and con's?

thanks
Old 04-27-2010, 06:14 PM

Both my friend at the Ford Dealer and the local 4X4 center recommend HyperTech Max. Mine will be on tomorrow so I can say how it works.
Old 04-28-2010, 07:38 AM

Shotgun, Can you tell us why you don't like these two programmers?

I want better acceleration, quicker shifter out of the lower gears when I put my foot down, and better mileage if there's any to be found.

I had and Edge on my previous truck and it was great. but they've been saying they'll come out with the '09-10 F150 version for over a year... doesn't look like they're serious about it.

I understand your frustration, but you know the Edge/Gryphon is a proven performer on our trucks. Why settle for less?

Please tell me and whoever else doesn't already know; what make the others you've mentioned the better choice.

Customer support and custom tuning.

Do you use one in your own truck? what are the pro's and con's?

No. I am waiting on SCT or Edge/Gryphon.

thanks

Cons:
  • Tunes are better than stock, but are still generic for F150s and no custom tuning available. (edit: I don't have a lot of time right now - this http://www.f150online.com/forums/4194606-post7.html post covers the reasoning behind custom tuning really well)
  • Poor customer support
Pros:
  • Cheaper than custom tunable device
Here's my quick search of reviews for Superchip. I'm sure you can do the same for Hypertech.

http://www.autoanything.com/performa...customerReview

http://www.f150online.com/forums/chi...ip-yes-no.html

http://www.f150online.com/forums/chi...chip-edge.html

http://www.f150online.com/forums/4029650-post93.html

Last edited by shotgun; 04-28-2010 at 08:07 AM. Reason: Added custom tuning information
Old 04-28-2010, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by shotgun
Cons:
  • Tunes are better than stock, but are still generic for F150s and no custom tuning available. (edit: I don't have a lot of time right now - this http://www.f150online.com/forums/4194606-post7.html post covers the reasoning behind custom tuning really well)
  • Poor customer support
Pros:
  • Cheaper than custom tunable device
Here's my quick search of reviews for Superchip. I'm sure you can do the same for Hypertech.

http://www.autoanything.com/performa...customerReview

http://www.f150online.com/forums/chi...ip-yes-no.html

http://www.f150online.com/forums/chi...chip-edge.html

http://www.f150online.com/forums/4029650-post93.html

Thanks for all the links Shotgun!

I did quite a bit of reading today here and at f150online, and I think I've come to my decision.
I'm getting that one on Ebay for $30, that guarantees 150HP and 200% increase in mileage! It must be the best!

Seriously tho, Im now leaning towards the SCT X3. But I have one more question for you.

If I buy just the X3 unit now; Can I run it on my stock truck as a 'canned' programmer for now, then have it tuned 'custom' in the future?

or am I misinterpreting that? Would I have to have it 'custom' tuned from the get-go?

My truck is a 2010 5.4l, 4x4, crew, 6.5 box, 3.55. Totally stock.

It's not likely that I'll change the exhaust on it, and I haven't done enough research into CAI as to warrant a question to you.

this is my only vehicle, so I drive it everyday, everywhere I go. I rarely tow with it, but do exercise the box with furniture, lumber, building material, etc. but mostly it's my ride with just me in it.

I know it's not a Mustang, but want better response when I demand it, and want it to be as fun to drive as my previous Edge equipped 150.

thanks so much for all your help.
Old 04-28-2010, 05:11 PM

Thanks for all the links Shotgun!

I did quite a bit of reading today here and at f150online, and I think I've come to my decision.
I'm getting that one on Ebay for $30, that guarantees 150HP and 200% increase in mileage! It must be the best!

Seriously tho, Im now leaning towards the SCT X3. But I have one more question for you.

If I buy just the X3 unit now; Can I run it on my stock truck as a 'canned' programmer for now, then have it tuned 'custom' in the future?

or am I misinterpreting that? Would I have to have it 'custom' tuned from the get-go?

My truck is a 2010 5.4l, 4x4, crew, 6.5 box, 3.55. Totally stock.

It's not likely that I'll change the exhaust on it, and I haven't done enough research into CAI as to warrant a question to you.

this is my only vehicle, so I drive it everyday, everywhere I go. I rarely tow with it, but do exercise the box with furniture, lumber, building material, etc. but mostly it's my ride with just me in it.

I know it's not a Mustang, but want better response when I demand it, and want it to be as fun to drive as my previous Edge equipped 150.

thanks so much for all your help.
Glad to help!

You really need to confirm that SCT (with SCT) fully supports the X3 with canned tunes on the 2009-10. If they do then it's no problem using the X3 with canned tunes (for ever if you like).

However, if you like the canned tunes, you are going to absolutely LOVE well-written custom tunes aimed at your driving style, specific 7-bit hex code, and objectives. Plus you can usually get the same tuner with custom tunes for the same price (or damn close) as canned tunes.

It's my understanding that VMP Tuning will write custom tunes for the X3. I'm basing this on a recent post from one member on another board.

Again, I realize you're anxious (and so am I), but I would wait until either VMP Tuning or PHP offer custom tuned SCTs (wide-spread, manufacturer supported, not serial No. 2) and Gryphons (Edge CS or CTS). As you said above, this is your daily driver. Remember, the programmer is going to completely re-write your ECM and TCM programs. Doesn't it make sense to wait a little and possibly let others discover the bugs? Both VMP and PHP will do their best to make sure there are no problems, but they can only fix THEIR tunes (the custom ones), they cannot fix any SCT or Edge hardware issues...

Just sayin...
Old 04-28-2010, 07:34 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I can confirm that VMP writes the tunes as I have been using them for 6 months.

Quick Reply: Hypertech OR Superchips